Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

650i

Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650i

I know I had at least one request in the other thread for pictures--which will follow this post--so I wanted to write a short review about the car, though I know many of you will find this to be not your cup of tea.

The car is smooth; very smooth. I bought this over a just slightly more expensive (but older) M5. This car is big, but not as large as the 5-series, which makes it feel much more compact to drive.

I just finished a little flogging in the hills... holy shit. This thing can certainly move; it handles the swooping turns smoothly, and dare I say as well as the 911 due to sheer rubber on the ground. I had a blast driving it--it's not the same sort of invigorating, soul stirring stimulation passed by the smooth boxer engine in the Porsche, or the wild Vtec two liter in the Honda, but it's a different kind of effect where you're in complete control of the car, and the perhaps underwhelming noise allows even more concentration on the visual experience.

Obviously, I'm still trying to adequately put into words my experience of the last hour, but it was something exhilarating, yet in a new way.

She's good at what she does. Smooth yet sporty land barge with a beautiful 4.8L 8 cyl that makes plenty of torque. Almost an exact opposite of the S, so it compliments it well. It's not what I originally wanted, but a good car... it also blends in a lot better than the 911. I'm sure I'll be back to rough sports cars after this, but I think I'm going to enjoy my short stint with comfort and luxury.

Don't think that means I won't hop into a 911 at the next available opportunity, though.

- Pictures shall arrive shortly. -
Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats! i wanna see some pics
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM

These are awesome cars. Any difference between this and the cheaper 645i besides the increased power/displacement?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Defintely one of the GT's I'd consider myself. Probably the only major Bangle-butt that I like too.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM

This came out of left field, TedH. Congrats man! The motor in that is sure sweet!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Oct 27 2009, 08:40 PM
This came out of left field, TedH. Congrats man! The motor in that is sure sweet!
Yeah, I know; I explained why this ended up happening in the 997 Test Drive thread.

Thanks everyone--I hope to go out and take some pictures of her tomorrow, hopefully the weather will prove somewhat helpful, or at least less bothersome.

645i v. 650i --Right now, as far as I know, the 650i is the only 6 series available, while the 645i was the predecessor. Though they are verys similar in a lot of ways, the 650i has some more refinements/features.

Quite frankly, I'm not completely sure about all the differences. This is a car I don't really know all that much about--except I know the manufacturer, the engine, and the warranty. Other than that it was a drive it and buy it experience.

It's nothing I ever thought I'd buy, but it's actually quite a nice car. Honestly, I wasn't going to post a thread about the car originaly, until my drive in it today--I truly realized today how great it is around the (broader) twisties. You can really power it through with that V8. The drive was exhilarating.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM

Out of curiosity, did you look into buying a used M6? The prices for those things are pretty low for cars that cost $100k+ brand new.
Anyway, post pics soon. The 6-series turns heads everywhere, even in Beverly Hills where these cars are more common than Civics/Integras in shitty neighborhoods.
Nice pick up. Enjoy it.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Oct 27 2009, 11:06 PM
Out of curiosity, did you look into buying a used M6? The prices for those things are pretty low for cars that cost $100k+ brand new.
Anyway, post pics soon. The 6-series turns heads everywhere, even in Beverly Hills where these cars are more common than Civics/Integras in shitty neighborhoods.
Nice pick up. Enjoy it.
After experiencing the SMG in the M5, I honestly wasn't that interested in looking into the M6. It just wasn't something I wanted to live with daily--besides, there weren't any M6s immediately available, and I was in a hurry.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We're banning you from posting unless the next post has pictures.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Congrats! The interior is also stunning.

Quick Reply: 650i