Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

63 Impala

Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Impala

my friend has a 63 Impala with a stock suspension; how can we make this thing handle well?

i know this is a complete oddity for S2Ki, so if you hate this post... go F yourself (sorry for the attitude, I just hate "flaming" - it wastes my time)

where would we turn for parts? would a coilover setup be the way to go? do we need different arms?
this seems like a big CHALLENGE

basicaly: how do we take this car from 1963 to 2006 (handling-wise)? how do we turn it into a daily-driver-capable G-machine?

thank you
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

I don't know why you'd want to do that to a car like that, but whatever. Basically, you have a solid rear axle with leafs, right? You'll want new shocks all the way around, with something like ladder bars to prevent axle wind-up, and stiffer leafs and a sway bar from a heavier car.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Don't forget to bolster the crap out of the frame.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Does it have a 2-speed powerglide tranny?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DimaK321,Apr 5 2006, 10:35 AM
my friend has a 63 Impala with a stock suspension; how can we make this thing handle well?

i know this is a complete oddity for S2Ki, so if you hate this post... go F yourself (sorry for the attitude, I just hate "flaming" - it wastes my time)

where would we turn for parts? would a coilover setup be the way to go? do we need different arms?
this seems like a big CHALLENGE

basicaly: how do we take this car from 1963 to 2006 (handling-wise)? how do we turn it into a daily-driver-capable G-machine?

thank you
No "hating" or "flaming," but you just aren't going to be able to make this car handle like a modern Impala. The sheer size and weight of the thing dictates that, to say nothing if the rigidity of the chassis. Have you tried an Impala or classic car forum? Try the Grassroots Motorsport "Classic Cars" forum (grmotorsports.com), they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Apr 5 2006, 04:33 PM
you just aren't going to be able to make this car handle like a modern Impala. The sheer size and weight of the thing dictates that, to say nothing if the rigidity of the chassis.
i'm not sure that's 100% accurate.....with money being the key factor.

i was watching a show 2 nights ago - one of those restoration/makeover/chop jobbies....

they took a satellite and some other car and made it into one GTX (IIRC) with an old school 427 hemi crate motor....some 5 or 600HP.

they got their hands on a keith black block, but turned out it was cracked....and they were running out of time to get the car to auction.

anywho....they totally updated the car from a suspension standpoint.

i saw leaf springs in one shot but then they had these stainless steel shocks, BAER brakes, new aluminum subsections that suspension/drive.brake components attach to, etc....

the narrator said the car was updated to today's handling standards (whatever that means).

just sayin'....

(the job cost 55,000 and sold at the vegas auction for 78,000 or something - i was half watching as the kids were running amuck)
Old 04-06-2006, 05:12 AM

thanks guys

yeah... I know NOTHING about this car, so I turned here, as someone may

he likes the car, and is just looking to upgrade the handling from stock; I don't think he's trying to turn it into an Elise (or thinks that its possible)

i just think that there should be a way to greatly improve STOCK 43yr old suspension components, lol

he was thinking about bags, but I feel that those would not be as good for performance as coilovers would (if coilovers can fit)

anyone have any SPECIFIC suggestions?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had use of a '63 SS many years ago (327, 4MT) and as I recall it was not a nimble car. With these old cars all you can do is stiffen them a little with springs and shocks and get a bigger anti-sway bar. Wheels and tires are critical like any car. This thing will NEVER handle on par with current autos.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 AM

i guess its "bad news" for my friend...

i do recall seeing shows about people making G-machines out of 40yr old camaros... i guess that type of stuff requires a complete frame rebuild (ie ripping out the old suspension, and going with modern hardware - if it is even possible)

so can he get adjustable shocks (stiffness), adjustable springs (height), and a sway bar? any other bars that can be added to that "boat" (ie tie bars, shock tower bars)? what brands should he go with?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:34 AM

If I remember right the car has coil springs on all four corners. I would think that coilovers wouldn't be too difficult to do. That would make it easy to change ride height and tune that portion of the suspension. I imagine stiffer swaybars could be bought and/or made. I don't know if the police package bars were any stiffer than the SS bars or not. My dad's 1968 SS427 Impala had a rear bar. Does this one?

What we would consider a normal ride/drive in 2006 would be considered very stiff/uncomfortable by 1963 standards. I think really think that stiffening up the spring/shock package using the coilovers will get you a long way towards where you want to be. Bigger/stickier tires and wheels along with an aggressive alignment will also help.

It will still be a big, heavy car, but can be made to handle reasonably well and the limits might surprise you. Don't forget to upgrade the brakes.

Quick Reply: 63 Impala