Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

600hp Super Vette in the Works!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by candyass,Feb 22 2007, 10:50 PM
Blah blah blah, cheap materials blah blah blah....Please have you ever even sat in a C6. Cheap compared to what?
I sat in a C6 at the autoshow, then went and sat in a Cayman S and honestly though the Cayman had the WORSE interior. My auto show companion had the same UNSOLICITED opinion. She was dissapointed when we sat in the Cayman. She said: "I thought the 'vette was nicer. I was expecting more from Porsche. "

I agreed.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hootsama, are you ignoring all the work they do to keep weight down too? Or how good the chassis is? Or those absurd multi-pot brakes? I don't see how some folks figure these vettes are all about the engine.

I'm curious about why the photographer is jailed also but I doubt it is the the NDA. More likely "grand theft auto" for the joyride.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 23 2007, 08:21 AM
Hootsama, are you ignoring all the work they do to keep weight down too? Or how good the chassis is? Or those absurd multi-pot brakes? I don't see how some folks figure these vettes are all about the engine.

I'm curious about why the photographer is jailed also but I doubt it is the the NDA. More likely "grand theft auto" for the joyride.
Update: It sounds like he has not been jailed or arrested now, but instead GM has filed a civil complaint against the shipping company and the employee. He may still be arrested depending on what they find during the investigation. Good times.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Nice:
http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categ...2_articleid=252

Not too smart....
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa. Everyone needs to settle down.

By expressing my concern that the SS would simply add power to the C6 Z06, I was complimenting the C6. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said GM did a good job with it. The suspension, brakes, styling, build quality, materials and engine are all far better than the C5. Esp in Z06 trim. Christ! I compliment the car and still get flamed...That said, better does not mean perfect and it doesn't mean the Vette is at the quality level of other cars in that price range.

I never said the Vette was "all about the engine" and would never make the comments I made without seat time. I've had plenty of miles on a C6 Z51 and even more in two different C6 Z06s. The first C6 Z06 I drove had 2300 miles on the clock and the carpet was separated from the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. The second had about 5K on it and had the exact same issue. To me, that is crappy build quality. For a $70K car, the seats were weak. Now, please keep in mind that I drove the Z06 back to back with the Ford GT and I liked the quality of the Z06 interior far better than the GT, build issues aside. For $150K, the GT was a joke with all the shiny plastic fake-aluminum crap. Is the Z06 the best all-around perforance value on the road? Absolutely. Would I spend 70K of my money on it? Prolly not.

"Cheap compared to what?" Well, I would expect the seats in a $70K car to be better than the ones in my $30K S2000. I would expect the carpet to remain attached for more than 2300 miles. I would expect less "creakiness" to the dashboard. Whenver I make these statements to GM fanbois, they always say, "Yeah, but the engine kicks a$$..." Whatever. Again, just ME.

To reiterate my thoughts, I just feel like the General should work on refining the SS (and they very well may be!) to be more in line with other $100K+ vehicles. When is more power enough.. or too much? For GM afficianados, I guess never. This is why I respect Porsche. Sure they're over priced, and sure they don't pack as much power, but the overall experience, to me of driving a GT3 (granted a 996) was superior.

If I wanted a super bad-a$$ GM track car, why not get a Z51 or even a Z06 and mod it? I could get plenty of power... equivalent performance I'm guessing to the SS. I predict plenty of people will be bragging about how they "whooped on an SS" with their tricked out Z51 or Z06.

Talk about "blah blah blah"... What are they doing that they haven't done before? Why chase the Viper when they have a chance to combine their exceptional vehicle dynamics, performance and power with a cockpit that creates a more complete LUXURY driving experience? Sorry, but at $100K, you're in the luxury bracket, like it or not.

For whatever it's worth, I only intended to offend the Viper fans.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hootsama,Feb 23 2007, 12:51 PM

For whatever it's worth, I only intended to offend the Viper fans.
I'm a viper fan and you didn't offend me. If, I end up with a viper it will be a toy, definitely not a DD. I don't really care to much about the interior as other parts of the ownership experience are worth it to me. I need 2 cars so a viper and real car will work fine for the same price or lower then a new GT3. If I could afford a real car, my wife's Odyssey and a GT3 I would probably have one. I could afford a Z06 instead of a viper, but the Z06 looks do very little for me and I believe the engine in the viper to be more durable (especially with a modified oil pan) on the track and as it's a toy....I want it to perform on the track and look good doing it. I believe the Z06 offers roughly the same performance and more creature comforts, but lacks style and durability (IMO), and since I want a toy...

Anyway, I ain't spending a 100k on a boosted vette. I don't care about ceramic brakes either. The huge brembos on the viper do just fine. Chevy should just get someone to make them a kick ass iron rotor package...they work fine, and are much cheaper to deal with. This car, IMO, is aimed squarely at drag racers, SC engine, air-to-water or water-to-water intercooler, scream drag racers not road racing (which makes the ceramic brakes even more useless, but if you could order them for the standard C6 or Z06 that would be very cool). I would have liked to have seen a bigger (454 or more cylinders) N/A engine and some adjustable coil-overs and a weight lose regiment.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope everyone gets what they like. Seriously.

Peace.