Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

5th Gen Prelude or Integra GS-R?

Old 12-19-2002, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never said that the prelude was a better racecar so i don't have to put any raw facts down so
Just kidding. I only jumped into the argument because i've seen plenty of race preludes that faired quite well. In fact when i went to the mugen factory last summer they sell a race prepped h22 motor... in fact i have pictures if i can find a scanner.
My quality point had to do with it's interior and ergonomics in relation to it being used as a daily driver!
Old 12-19-2002, 05:53 PM

cool id like to see some pics
Old 12-19-2002, 07:19 PM

um...... I say integra all the way!! I don't like ludes at all (not to offend anyone). Also the thing about how a prelude looks better then a integra? i don't think so, an integra looks way better. Why not get a hatchback with a gsr motor =)
Old 12-19-2002, 08:03 PM

This will be a daily driver. I own a 1991 Toyota Celica and it is way roomier and more suited to my needs of comfort even though I'm small and can fit in it easily than an Integra. I'll test drive them both and see which one I like. I think that the Prelude looks better inside and out, it will be easier for me to find an Integra. The only aftermarket I will do is lightweight 15" or 16" wheels and an Intake.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:11 PM

I've driven both and chose what was to be the "Prelude" to the S2000
Old 12-19-2002, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by XIB18c1
...Most tuners dont even spend time nor money devoloping on the prelude that must tell you something..might be about the weight or maybe the engine h22a..
yeah, it tells me something. it tells me that a) preludes are more expensive than integras and b) there are many many less preludes on the street. for the 5 year run of the 5th gen lude, between 50 and 75,000 were sold. the 3g integra went basically unchanged for 7 (?) years, and sold over 150,000. so first off, well more than twice as many on the road. second, many parts in common with the civic, of where there are millions. third, a kid can pick up a used teg for less than 10 grand.

the h22a was an incredible motor. good midrange, good top end, and smooth in a way no B18 could ever hope to be. as i'm sure you know, most of the fastest "hondas" (if you can still call them that) in the world are powered by the H22.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:14 AM
Banned

If it's for the street - go with the Lude if you can find a good one and you can afford it.

I looked at Lude's when I bought my first GSR in '94. If memory serves they cost about $4-5K more for a new one.

I attend racing events all over the country and watch Speedchannel all the time. You don't see many Ludes being raced.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:19 AM

Who cares how may preludes were sold and its not about that they are a bit more expensive.Tuners like spoon for example dont waste time on them becaue they no that he integra was a better platform...and i doubt a company like spoon would care that the car they are building cost a mere couple of thousand more. And also yes u can find a gsr for cheep used but same thing goes for a prelude(maybe a grand more at best). So expences are not the issue...more like weight ,chasis, and engine characteristics. Do some research on japanese tuners and race teams you will find barely any preludes. Even the type s in japan cant compete with the Type r. It makes me laugh that yu guys think a prelude is faster than a gsr hahahha maybe since its more expensive thats why u feel that way ..who knows not me
Old 12-20-2002, 09:21 AM

yes and about the 7 year unchange--- if its not broke then dont fix it
Old 12-20-2002, 10:48 AM

Sorry but the tuners did not spend time on them because less were sold therefore there is less of a market for aftermarket parts. We have the same problem with the s2000. Because there are not 50000 a year being produced it makes much less financial sense to develop aftermarket parts for them. Like Schwett said.. the h22 has proven to be a much more capable motor than the b18.
I completely beg to differ on the expences being an issue. The tuners developed the gsr and type r motors because they know that many more of them would be sold. It makes sense economically because they can cut down on the cost of r&d. They take the race car parts that they spent money developing and immediately turn around and sell them to the public. Faced with this opportunity are they going to do this with a chassis that honda makes 50000 units or one that they make 15000 units/ year (yes i know the figures aren't right but they make a hell of alot more civic/integras than they make preludes)

If someone poured that type of money into the prelude you would see many more at the racetrack.

Where is the proof that the type s cannot compete with the type r???

In fact i just looked up the specs on both vehicles and they have similar suspensions.
Of course the prelude weighs 300lbs more than the gsr but.. here is the big kicker. The prelude has a superior weight to hp ratio
Integra gsr... 15.68lbs/hp
Prelude....14.77lbs/hp

Also if you look at the two dyno curves (since peak hp doesn't mean much) their is much more area under the curve on the h22 versus the b18 (in other words more hp that is usable over a greater range in rpm)

Sorry bud the proof is in the pudding.
The integra might have a loyal folowing but it's not any more competent a race car than the prelude

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Prelude or Integra GS-R?