Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

550 vs M3

Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 vs M3

Ok,

So this is in reference to the NEW 550 that is expected to have the blown V8 w/ 450 horses or whatever, and the new E92 M3.

Apples and oranges, right? One is a 3 series, the other a 5.

But here's the thing... if you take a 550 and put that badass sport pkg (like $5k) that, unlike the 3 series, is actually adding a bunch of crap to the car besides seats and wheels, the M body kit, etc, the price is pretty similar. You also get all kinds of new goodies that are only available on the 5 series, like say the heated steering wheel or nightvision (not that I'd probably pay that for night vision - but the steering wheel hell yes).

It's a bigger car, but probably not much slower and not a LOT heavier (maybe a few hundred lbs), with WAY more TQ. It would still be lighter than an M3 vert. You don't get the M badge but I'm thinking you'll have 90% of the M performance, and a car that you can comfortably drive 4 adults around in (the 3 is, IMO, little tight in the back--but I have big friends and family).

I also believe you could get ED pricing on the 550, as well as an extended warranty or CPO option if you like them used - M3 don't play dat.

So, given the choice, I know a lot of people on this board would go w/ the M3, but I see them as similar - one is more comfortable and practical, the other more sporty.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m3
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know enough about BMWs to have an opinion, but it's an interesting question and it'll be fun to watch the replies.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM

You crack me up Dombey. I think your forgetting that the current 5 series body style wont get that TTV8 with 405hp 450lb or torque. If you dont like the direction BMW is taking with the car style-wise then you'll be getting worked up over nothing. I must admit though, I would drive anything with that motor in it. Just as I'd almost drive anything with the N54 in it!!!

Also, I'm guessing you've never driven an //M car before. Both cars will have an entirely different feel. I cant imagine that TT V8 making your blood boil as much as ripping 8400rpm shifts in that M3's V8. A 335i is just as fast as an E46 M3 but its surely not as fun.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM

AMG
Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christople,Feb 8 2008, 01:41 PM
AMG
black series
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm all over the M3 even above the M5 forget what sport pack or heated wheel or foot massage or whatever else the 5-series would have that the M3 doesn't.

I don't care about half the things that are on cars these days.

Some people do and that's fine for other people who will buy a 7-series or 5-series or X6 or such. The M3 is trying to be more sporty and as such it could give up some features and size in order to be slightly smaller.

IMO the M3 is a Vette with a back seat as such it's still heavy. Or the M3 is a 911 with a slightly larger back seat.

The TT V8 5-series will be ~500 lbs heavier (? IDK) that would put it at 4100 lbs is heavy. Some minivans weigh 4100 lbs.

I don't say I would never buy a 4100+ lb car but I don't expect it to be extra sporty or extra fun to drive which I would imagine the M3 is slightly better.

Note: I am not 1000% in the M3 camp, I would consider a Cayman or Vette (ish) just to get around 3100 or 3200 lbs. Bad enough the M3 weighs 3600 lbs I don't want another 400 lbs on top of that.

I understand the M3 (or Cayman/Vette) do not have as much room as the 5-series but I'm not crazy about needing big rear seats in a sporty sedan. If push came to shove the people would get in the back of a M3 (if they wanted to go where I was going) or I would drive our MDX or Sienna if room was what we were after.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Feb 8 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm all over the M3 even above the M5 forget what sport pack or heated wheel or foot massage or whatever else the 5-series would have that the M3 doesn't.

I don't care about half the things that are on cars these days.

Some people do and that's fine. I don't need mid-size sedan etc..

IMO the M3 is a Vette with a back seat as such it's still heavy.

I mean say the 5-series is 500 lbs heavier (? IDK) that would put it at 4100 lbs is heavy. Some minivans weigh 4100 lbs.

I don't say I would never buy a 4100+ lb car but I don't expect it to be extra sporty or extra fun to drive which I would imagine the M3 is slightly better.

Note: I am not 1000% in the M3 camp, I would consider a Cayman or Vette (ish) just to get around 3100 or 3200 lbs. Bad enough the M3 weighs 3600 lbs I don't want another 400 lbs on top of that.

I understand the M3 (or Cayman/Vette) do not have as much room as the 5-series but I'm not crazy about needing big rear seats in a sporty sedan. If push came to shove the people would get in the back of a M3 (if they wanted to go where I was going) or I would drive our MDX or Sienna if room was what we were after.
Rai, have you ever driven a 535i or 550i? Seriously. Do me a favor and go drive one this weekend. You talk such smack about how these cars dont appeal to you. They HAVE back seats and a lot of power. They would not have such a compliant ride if it was a 3200lb car with all that power.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Feb 8 2008, 10:08 AM
Rai, have you ever driven a 535i or 550i?
I drove the previous gen M5 nuff said. I know they have power and are not HUGE. I am driving a S2000 for a reason. I would like something slightly larger (ie. M3). I would like if a car was similar size to a M3 but similar weight to a GT3 that's my idea of a car I would love to own.

I don't want a M5/550i etc.. as I am not into 2-tons.

It's great if you want one. I also am not a fan one bit of the current 5-series style. I know two people who own the current M5. I can lust after a M5 or a M3 and a used M5 is probably cheaper than a new M3 so either would be an option. I just do not want such a big car as a sporty car.

I think the M3 is ideal size not too big not too small.

I don't really care about a compliant ride. I have a S2000 do you think that's a great compliant ride? I would like something slightly better than the S2000 but probably a 3-series is fine for most people and 5-series is flossin.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Feb 8 2008, 10:17 AM
I drove the previous gen M5 nuff said. I know they have power and are not HUGE. I am driving a S2000 for a reason. I would like something slightly larger (ie. M3). I would like if a car was similar size to a M3 but similar weight to a GT3 that's my idea of a car I would love to own.

I don't want a M5/550i etc.. as I am not into 2-tons.

It's great if you want one. I also am not a fan one bit of the current 5-series style. I know two people who own the current M5. I can lust after a M5 or a M3 and a used M5 is probably cheaper than a new M3 so either would be an option. I just do not want such a big car as a sporty car.

I think the M3 is ideal size not too big not too small.

I don't really care about a compliant ride. I have a S2000 do you think that's a great compliant ride? I would like something slkightly better than the S2000 but probably a 3-series is fine for most people and 5-series is flossin.
The previous gen M5 is obsolete. STILL amazing but obsolete. The current gen M5 and 550i will have a feel entirely different to the former. They wont ever feel like an s2k but stop raggin on them until you've driven them. I'm glad your not ''into 2 tons.'' Neither am I. But I have respect when the 2 tons dosent feel and accelerate like 2 tons. Their driving dynamics are second to none in their respective classes.

Quick Reply: 550 vs M3