Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$50k Non-S Cayman coming

Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make great cars, just charge you ridiculous amounts for them. I have never compared a like $ car. If you are getting a Porsche expect to pay 2X that you do as a Vette. Always has been, always will be. If you are just looking at straightline speed the Porsche will never make sense, but the Corvette has several compromises that the Porsche doesn't. It's like comparing a Ford Taurus to a Mercedes E Class just because they are the same size, have a V6, etc. If hp is the only thing you look at then get a Vette.

That being said I really don't like the way Porsche tries to now have "S" models. It's like 2X more then comparably fast cars wasn't enough. Now they have to rape you for another $10K for an S model. If the Carrera would have come out with the 3.8L 355 hp, & not the Carrera S, that would have made me get another Porsche, but as it is now, no way. until they start putting some serious discounts on them, I'm not going to get another one (isn't far fetched, already offering $5K-$6K discounts on the Cayman S, were offering $8K-$10K on the 996's before they were replaced.)
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanman,May 22 2006, 10:28 PM
It's like comparing a Ford Taurus to a Mercedes E Class just because they are the same size, have a V6, etc. If hp is the only thing you look at then get a Vette.
Explain how the Vette manages to beat the 911 on the track where things other than hp come into play as well. They both weigh about 3200lbs, they;re both not midengined, they both have sophisticated suspensions, list goes on.
The Corvette isn't only about horsepower (although it does have gobs of it), through the generations, the Vette has proven itself to be a worthy track competitor amongst cars from strictly racing pedigrees.
Materials used and fit and finish are another story, but if you want a higher grade leather and nicer interior styling, pay the huge premium and get the Porsche. But to use these shortcomings to devalue teh image of the Vette is something else.
The vette is tricky to drive, try driving a car with 400lbs of torque to the rear wheels with the response that only a bigger engine can provide, not many people will be able to harness that.
Don't knock the engineering that goes into the Corvette because they're on par with the best of them. They wanted to make teh car cheaper, and didnt sacrifice engineering, rather the sacrificed things liek leather used and such to make up for their losses. I do question at times the use of pushrods and such, but if it works, why change for the sake of change?
Also, the E Class offers options and more power that a Ford Taurus could onyl dream about, a more fair comparision would be a Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300 vs. a Mercedes E Class.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is an exclusive carmaker, you either "get" the brand or you don't.

With that said, I think the cayman is priced exactly where it should be. Last I heard they were outselling the boxsters, so I guess internet forums aren't swaying peoples decisions to buy.

For reference, I have driven both the Cayman S and the 997 while looking to replace my old porsche.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al,May 23 2006, 04:02 AM
With that said, I think the cayman is priced exactly where it should be. Last I heard they were outselling the boxsters, so I guess internet forums aren't swaying peoples decisions to buy.

For reference, I have driven both the Cayman S and the 997 while looking to replace my old porsche.
I think it's misleading to compare Boxster (middle of its lifecycle) and Cayman (brand new hyped model) sales numbers at this point in time. A lot of Cayman sales have been to guys waiting a while for the cars they ordered before the release; now that the early adopters have gotten their cars, it will be interesting to see how the Cayman fares versus the Boxster.

This isn't to slam the Cayman at all; I really like the car. The problem is, I can't think of a situation where I'd buy one. I like convertibles, so the cheaper Boxster is the obvious choice for a fun car, for a track car the C6 or ZO6 (or Elise/Exige, Spec Miata, whatever) makes more sense, and I can't see buying a $50k-70k+ coupe as an only car...it would be too easy to buy two nice $35k cars for that price (used Boxster and a 325i for instance). I really do like the Cayman, but I just can't see why I'd buy it, unless I really liked midengine cars and really hated convertibles.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 23 2006, 08:50 AM
it would be too easy to buy two nice $35k cars for that price
You are obviously not the target market for the Cayman S. While I think the 'vette is the best bang for the buck performance wise I don't really like the look or see myself in any 'Vette after a '63. I'd opt for the Cayman S as well it handles nicely and is a good lokking car, all IMHO. I'd have to add an aftermarket LSD so factor another $1200-$2000 to the price but I'd still take it over a 997. There is a good market for the car since beleive it or not there are a fair amount of Porsche people who want(ed) a mid engine hardtop over a 911.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_bump,May 23 2006, 05:28 AM
You are obviously not the target market for the Cayman S. While I think the 'vette is the best bang for the buck performance wise I don't really like the look or see myself in any 'Vette after a '63. I'd opt for the Cayman S as well it handles nicely and is a good lokking car, all IMHO. I'd have to add an aftermarket LSD so factor another $1200-$2000 to the price but I'd still take it over a 997. There is a good market for the car since beleive it or not there are a fair amount of Porsche people who want(ed) a mid engine hardtop over a 911.
Correct, since I make in a year what a new non-S Cayman stickers at....

I think you are right about people wanting a hardtop, and there will be a core of people who do, but I just think the number of people who A) don't want a convertible (especially when it's cheaper), B) Don't want a 911, or can't afford $75k but can afford $65k for a stripped S, and C) are willing to forgive the massive power defecit over the Corvette, new M3, Z4M coupe, etc, has to be small.

Not to say it doesn't exist, but I can't see the Cayman continuing to outsell the Boxster given the above reasons.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For me Boxster > Cayman

I like the Cayman a lot, but costing more than a Boxster

No thanks, I'm sure I don't push my cars enough to tell the difference in weight and the increased stiffness of the coupe (for me) is probably a non-issue given the structure of modern roadsters like the S2000 or Boxster.

I'd rather have a Boxster (S) + hardtop than a Cayman (S) for the same price.

IMO the vert is value added and so should cost more. Cars like the Ferrari or Lambo vert cost $20K more than the coupe, even though it could be argued the Coupe is a better performer.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 AM

We'll have to agree to disagree on the demand. I think Porsche has become ver astute at judging their market since the mid 90's. I'm not a fixed roof person myself and can't stand the look of the Boxster ( although once again the Boxster S drives very well) or the 911 'cab so I'll stick with my lightly modified 968 cabs for my Porsche fix.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omg516,May 22 2006, 11:35 AM
that really makes the m coupe look like a steal.
M coupe looks better too - less derivative.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 AM

I had been hearing conflicting things about Cayman S sales but was just told the current inventory is over 45 days which is rather high so I gues thye sort of figured out the price is a little too high.

Quick Reply: $50k Non-S Cayman coming