Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

4 Wheels or 2?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 wheels. Just so I know I won't tip over. I'll daily a Caterham for all I care, I just need the 4 wheel handicap.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
i will stick to 4 wheels after this..(link to my helicopter ride below)... lol I have had a motorcycle license since i was 16... made it to my 3rd sport bike before trying to kill myself... i had a ZX6R and unfor i cannot control myself so we (my buddy and who also had a zx6) would see 160+ all the time. (i think motorcycle speedo's are optomistic so 155+)...

http://www.pennlive....hospital_1.html
That's the issue though. If you can control yourself, oh my..............coming out of a corner, still leaned over, and whacking the throttle WFO.....it feels like being shot out of a gun. Some guys are into the top speed of it, not me, not ever. It's the acceleration. Feels like your own personal rollercoaster out in the twisties. 0-120-60 MPH in a blink. After a while, the top speed stuff is absolutely meaningless and you spend heaps amount of time (and money) to learn how to lean that bitch over, and master corner entrance, apex, and corner exits. Corner exits on a bike are better than sex, and I mean that. It's supercar performance on a blue collar budget. And just like a Supercar, you need to be judicious with the throttle. You don't hop into a GTR, or a GT3, or any Ferrari, and just go WFO everywhere, same thing, you'll end up in the hospital or a morgue. Full gear, some training, some common sense, and you can ride the rest of your life and have fun. Skip commuting on one, doing errands on one, stay out of traffic, and ride them where there is little traffic like your local twisties, canyons, what have you, and it becomes a big passion. It's why I sold my S2000. No need for a drop top in the garage when I've got sportbikes.

The "safety' stuff always makes me laugh. Gear/armor up, get some training under your belt, SIPDE, and be smart, and you'll be fine. I've been hearing that same crap for years and year after year I ride, safely. Avoid traffic, no when not to ride, spend some time at the track, keep a 70% envelope, and ride the PACE. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/
If your instructor(s) know what they are doing, they'll teach you that any situation, irregardless of whose at fault, is your fault. Makes you a better driver as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Originally Posted by Scot' timestamp='1386839260' post='22918963
i will stick to 4 wheels after this..(link to my helicopter ride below)... lol I have had a motorcycle license since i was 16... made it to my 3rd sport bike before trying to kill myself... i had a ZX6R and unfor i cannot control myself so we (my buddy and who also had a zx6) would see 160+ all the time. (i think motorcycle speedo's are optomistic so 155+)...

http://www.pennlive....hospital_1.html
That's the issue though. If you can control yourself, oh my..............coming out of a corner, still leaned over, and whacking the throttle WFO.....it feels like being shot out of a gun. Some guys are into the top speed of it, not me, not ever. It's the acceleration. Feels like your own personal rollercoaster out in the twisties. 0-120-60 MPH in a blink. After a while, the top speed stuff is absolutely meaningless and you spend heaps amount of time (and money) to learn how to lean that bitch over, and master corner entrance, apex, and corner exits. Corner exits on a bike are better than sex, and I mean that. It's supercar performance on a blue collar budget. And just like a Supercar, you need to be judicious with the throttle. You don't hop into a GTR, or a GT3, or any Ferrari, and just go WFO everywhere, same thing, you'll end up in the hospital or a morgue. Full gear, some training, some common sense, and you can ride the rest of your life and have fun. Skip commuting on one, doing errands on one, stay out of traffic, and ride them where there is little traffic like your local twisties, canyons, what have you, and it becomes a big passion. It's why I sold my S2000. No need for a drop top in the garage when I've got sportbikes.

The "safety' stuff always makes me laugh. Gear/armor up, get some training under your belt, SIPDE, and be smart, and you'll be fine. I've been hearing that same crap for years and year after year I ride, safely. Avoid traffic, no when not to ride, spend some time at the track, keep a 70% envelope, and ride the PACE. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/
If your instructor(s) know what they are doing, they'll teach you that any situation, irregardless of whose at fault, is your fault. Makes you a better driver as well.

Well said... I've actually sold a bike, bought an S, sold the S and bought a bike twice now... the whole process. I'm now back on a 2012 R1 and am finally convinced that the "open, free" feeling cannot be replicated with a car of any kind. And it's funny, this time around I also am not concerned with the top speed of things.. the 0-120-60 reference is perfect. The acceleration leaning over coming out of a turn with the rear tire fighting for traction, the bike pulling almost harder than you can hold on, nothing matches it. Nothing.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Very well said. Seems like with the exception of Scot, all those voting for cars don't ride. Go take a course, gear up, and get out there for a few months then tell me which you like better!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "safety' stuff always makes me laugh. Gear/armor up, get some training under your belt, SIPDE, and be smart, and you'll be fine.
It's the other drivers on the road that scare me. No amount of training, armor, or being smart can save me from being run over by some idiot merging lanes while talking on a cell phone / tweeting / zoning out.

I hardly feel safe in my car anymore, let alone on a motorcycle without any crash protection.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

That's why you ride on back roads and stay off the main roads. Goal is to stay as far away from cars and the idiots you mention as possible.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
That's why you ride on back roads and stay off the main roads. Goal is to stay as far away from cars and the idiots you mention as possible.
I live in a densely populated area. There are no back roads. That's why you'll never find me on a motorcycle.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i did enjoy riding but don't really miss it. I got my motorcycle license back when i was 16 due to lack of funds for a car....i had a GPZ in college... dropped it in the rain at 10mph..but that was it.... then later a GSXR600 no wrecks or spills... .... but i only had the ZX6 for 2400 miles until i destroyed it (and part of me..ahhaha).... i think as shit gets faster i keep pushing harder.... i top out my viper pretty much weekly...

o ya... i wrecked on a back road, luckily not doing 150 or anything... i have no clue what happened since i the last thing i remembered was getting as 5 miles before wrecking... but i had just picked my bike up from getting a new back tire... so for all i know the dealer f@#ked up or the new tire was up to what i thought it should be... or i hit a rock or....??? who knows...

definately take a safety course if you're gonna ride and definately know your limits... i know not to buy another bike...
Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 years ago, I was firmly in the bike camp. Now, w/ a 5 yo son and a wife who depend on me, not to mention more distracted drivers than ever thanks to smartphones, I enjoy 2 wheels on the dirt and 4 wheels on pavement.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheels or 2?