Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

370z Test Drive

Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 370z Test Drive

worst clutch ever? maybe not, but pretty close. The 370z has nice torque and power, comfortable but provides acceptable feedback, the shifter is OK, a bit vague but passable, it feels planted...

But none of this matters because Nissan put one of the lamest clutches I've ever felt in the car.

Imagine the opposite of a normal clutch... theres no smooth travel. Its either in, or it springs back up when you let it out. It literally feels like you have to fight a spring to move it where you want it, its has insane springback. And what makes it worse is that the engagement point is opposite: instead of being off the floor, it engages off the top... so near the start of pushing it in is where it engages.

Sound like the opposite of a nice clutch? It is. It ruins any fun i had with the car because most of my time was spent fighting a clutch that would feel more at home in an SUV or truck. I had to ask the owner several times if it was broken in or malfunctioning. He sadly replied that it was normal and widely criticized on the Z sites.

Why? who at Nissan worked so hard on improving every aspect of the 350z and figured that this clutch would be a good part of the experience? It boggles the mind. A stage 2or 3 clutch is easier to drive (vs the 370z) because the engagement point is sensible, and the hard grabbing is desired. Despite all this, i couldn't stall the car no matter how hard i tried. Unfortunately high RPMs and spirited driving are an exercise in frustration. Get ready to shift, let out the clutch and... oops. Used to the normal grab of a clutch and syncing your shifts to that? Too bad, the high engagement point makes it feel like theres a delay so its probably going to be a jerky shift... which also applies to normal, casual shifts.

What a disappointment.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not being able to stall the car id a disappointment? Curious, have you ever driven a 350z? I'm wondering if the clutch is similar.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Jan 20 2011, 01:36 PM
Not being able to stall the car id a disappointment? Curious, have you ever driven a 350z? I'm wondering if the clutch is similar.
Sorry, formatting error.

No sir, i haven't driven a 350z manual so i can't compare the two. I have heard the 350z shifter is lame, but haven't heard anything about the clutch. Its a shame... If the 370z had a clutch like the s2k's, it'd be a great car to drive.

Maybe the clutch is so wacky because its beefed up to handle the good amount of torque the Z puts out?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I drove a 350, not a 370, but I can't imagine they are too different. The thing to remember is that every car drives differently - you need to adapt, not try and force the car to drive by your behavior. Spend some time and adapt and you'll likely enjoy the Z more. What you're feeling is a stiff pressure plate - if you don't like the Z, you'd hate a Porsche!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend let me drive his nismo 370z several times...and i like that car a lot. you can turn off synchro rev-matching if you'd prefer it.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 20 2011, 02:02 PM
I drove a 350, not a 370, but I can't imagine they are too different. The thing to remember is that every car drives differently - you need to adapt, not try and force the car to drive by your behavior. Spend some time and adapt and you'll likely enjoy the Z more. What you're feeling is a stiff pressure plate - if you don't like the Z, you'd hate a Porsche!
I agree.

Lots of people who aren't familiar with the clutch complain about it, but after driving it for a couple of weeks, its pretty easy. It allows you to not have to put the clutch all the way in to shift smoothly.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

[shrugs] drove a 370z on a track... clutch was fine, actually quite nice. gearbox was nice too.

actually better than a Cayman S.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 20 2011, 02:02 PM
Good point... i kept treating the clutch like it was busted and tried to make it feel the way i wanted it to. exboost is right... its weird but you can just push the clutch in halfway for shifts. awkward but it kind of works.

the synchro revmatch feature is nice, especially for drivers that don't know how to revmatch or how damaging a downshift can be, but i prefer it off. it makes downshifting for corners feel like an automatic, especially since im used to revmatching while braking for lights. all manual cars need this feature for shitty drivers and/or newbs.

the revmatch synchro does make heeltoe insanely easy though since the car does the gas for you as you brake and downshift. its almost like a cheat code.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM

I think the 350z is quite similar to what you are describing but that was one of the first stick cars I drove so I stalled more than I moved.
I'd love to try it again now that I've been driving stick a while..
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

hows the gas millage on those 370z?

Quick Reply: 370z Test Drive