Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

350Z vs RX-8

Old 07-14-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'd go with the RX-8, because of its practicality... the rear door thing looks rad, and who cares if Saturn did it? IMO RX-8 is a much more handsome automobile, and simply, practical sports.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:41 PM

I saw 0-60 in 5.4, and quarter in 14.1 in car and driver
, so i think i would want the z, but i still would want an s more
Old 07-14-2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Crazy4life
None of them
wait for a while
I think 350z turbo version will come out
that wont be for atleast another 2 years, maybe once the new Supra comes out.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:36 PM

would the new Supra be in the same class??? It would be a shame for a Supra to lower itself into the sub 30K price range.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:08 PM
SinD

RX8 without a doubt.... don't even have to think about it. 250HPs, Rotary Engine will be lighter than the 350z... I have just always been a fan of the RX7... so this car I know i'm going to LOVE!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:28 PM

350Z. Just look at the comparison pics Mav has as his sig. I even like it better than my S. Topless Z is the way to go. Can't wait!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Nissan will not produce a turbo version, as the ever-increasing price of the last gen was one of the key factors that killed it (and the Supra and RX-7). Regardless of how good these cars were, the market for Japanese sports cars diminishes rapidly as the price increases toward the level that German brands + the Corvette become viable options.

Nissan and Mazda have learned their lessons, and are focused on re-launching sports cars w/ greater simplicity and lower cost to generate greter sales. A turbo runs counter to this philosophy, so I'd count it out.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:18 PM

I'd have to argue against that train of thought. IMO, what killed the age of Japanese supercars was that the public taste for supercars died, not because they were overpriced, nor because they were Japanese. The fact that they were Japanese, IMO, was an impetus to their sales, considering Americans were getting these amazingly high tech toy things.

The reason why Nissan is producing their low cost is because that was what the Z was based on, it was never a supercar, not like the ultra rare TT Z, plus their brand has been dragged in the mud due to their horrid financial situation.

Regarding German brands, many of these are now introducing quite affordable models, ex. Benz and their C coupe, BMW and the up and coming 1 series, and Volkswagen with their TDIs.

The competition between German and Japanese automobiles is much more equal than it was in the early 1990s, and Japanese automobiles are entering a new phase where they will surpass Germans as sports car/ driving car champs. They have more companies, plus the rise of Asian economies and the slow decline of the euro and European dominance will prove it so.

Nissan will come out with a turbo, either that or supercharger, considering it will most likely FI the Infinity R35 car, and the new Toyota supercar is to come also. We are looking at a base model Z right now, one we shouldn't even get all hot over. I'm getting all excited over the soon to come Evo VIIs, and VIIIs, and new NSX, R35, Toyota supercar, Lexus supercar (like in Minority Report). The next 10 years will prove a resurgence of serious Japanese technology, a la Asimo.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you obviously have all the answers. But just a couple of observations...while the RX-7, Supra, and 300ZX were languishing in the sales charts, the C5 Vette, Boxster, and M3 were still white hot. IMO, the Jap offerings just became too expensive &/or stale vs. offer options.
Also, ultra-rare TT Z? C'mon, you can buy them used now for next to nothing, and not b/c they were bad cars!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJSang
[B]I'd have to argue against that train of thought. IMO, what killed the age of Japanese supercars was that the public taste for supercars died, not because they were overpriced, nor because they were Japanese. The fact that they were Japanese, IMO, was an impetus to their sales, considering Americans were getting these amazingly high tech toy things.

The reason why Nissan is producing their low cost is because that was what the Z was based on, it was never a supercar, not like the ultra rare TT Z, plus their brand has been dragged in the mud due to their horrid financial situation.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but with 288hp, the 350Z will have a weight to hp ratio will be 11.458 if it comes in at 3300lbs. The S has a weight to hp ratio of 11.66 if it weighs in at 2800. This is pretty close.

I am not a physics expert or anything, but is there a law of diminishing returns apply if the weight increases as well as hp. ???

Quick Reply: 350Z vs RX-8