Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

350z, EVO, or STI. If modded, which car would be the fastest?

Old 05-11-2003, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z, EVO, or STI. If modded, which car would be the fastest?

Hey guys, I really like the performance aspect of the EVO and STi, but do not know if the looks are good enough. I do like the way the 350z looks, but will I always lose to an EVO and STi, even if I mod the Z? If the mods of the 350z and EVO, or STi get maxed out, which would be the fastest then? I already know the 350z can't hang stock, but what about modded?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'maxed out', but with equal amounts of money put in to each, I'd guess that the Evo would get the most power out of it's engine, simply because it's stock internals are so strong and the engine currently has more aftermarket support. I can't be so sure though because the STi's engine is all new and has yet to be tested to it's fullest.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:20 PM

"mod" is such a relative term. A Civic Si with an intake and altezza tail lights is "modified"...as is a Gen IV supra with a single turbo and a fully built block putting out 900 Horsepower. Get a 350Z if you like the look better, and then don't lose any sleep over whether you'll lose to an Sti or EVO. does it really matter? driving a faster car doesn't make your balls any bigger, bro.

To answer your question, there are some pretty decent gains to be made from the VG35 block by intake and exhaust mods, whereas the Sti and EVO will need new software and turbo/intercooler upgrades to be really awesome...far more awesome than an N/A 350Z will be. I dont know the strength of the VG35's internals, but i bet it could take quite a bit more than they're running now. HKS or top secret or something i think has a prototype Twin Turbo kit for the 350Z, estimated to put 400 to the wheels on stock internals(don't quote me on that). It really depends on how much you're willing to spend, because if you're worried about losing to an Sti in a 350Z, imagine how small you'll feel when an SRT-4 dusts you, stock.

the point is, faster doesnt mean better. get which one you like more, and especcially which one makes you look in your garage/driveway and smile that extra little bit. pride of ownership is worth more than cred at the stoplight drags...also, the 350Z will run its numbers all day without dizzyingly high-rpm launches, but to really move the Sti and Evo need to have hard launches which are hard on the drivetrain. *don't drag on the street, only fools do that*

Quick2K
Old 05-11-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

to Quick2k. Very well written post. The 350Z is a classier design, while it's mod potential dollar for dollar isn't as good as the Evo and Sti, it's a sweeter ride overall. The torque and hp are all N/A, your 14.0 stock 1/4 times are done without some crazy 5000rpm launch like the Sti and Evo. I would say overall longevity and reliability with go to the VG35 equipped 350Z. Buy which one makes you happy though, because the Evo and Sti can hold four people versus two for the 350Z. If I had $30k for a second car, I would have a difficult time choosing between the 3. I might choose the Evo or the Sti just because I already have a two door sports car, but for one ride, it would be a tough decision...
Old 05-11-2003, 04:54 PM

You could always through in the skyline motor like they did for the Battlegrounds 350z.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:44 PM

Thanks guys. I'm telling you, it's so hard to pick a car these days. I guess with all the great cars out now, or coming out, that's a great problem for us
Old 05-11-2003, 11:20 PM

STi - lightly mod will be the fastest.
EVO - heavily mod should be the fastest (I've seen one overseas that run 9.8 in the 1/4 mile! and put 600+ awhp)
350Z - It needs the RB26DETT.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

wouldnt you want a 2003 mustang Cobra with 435 stock horsepower? A flash of the computer (handheld version available very soon), swap a pully, get some drag radials, exhaust, intake and you are good for 550+ flywheel (470 rear wheel) horsepower!!!!!

The drag radials is the important part though!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching Super Tuner TV show a few weeks back, and they had a Greddy Twin Turbo kit for the 350Z (back in Japan, where it is called the Fairlady) that puts out 450 hp. $ for $ a turbo engine is very easy to make fast, not to mention on many of them the hp from simple air intake swap, and exhaust is much larger than normally aspirated engines. But once you start swapping out turbos for larger turbos it starts to balance out. I think if you like the 350Z more just go for it, as there will be a ridiculous amount of aftermarket mods for it coming out too. Personally I have been in all three cars and I would probably get the 350Z (or 350Z convertible), than EVO, then STi. The interiors in the last two are piss poor, but the engines are artwork.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:13 PM

Thanks Fanman, do you think the G35 coupe will have a lot of aftermarket mods as well?

Quick Reply: 350z, EVO, or STI. If modded, which car would be the fastest?