Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 2nd OFFICIAL GT-R Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you want from me. You think I'm just your little word slut, that I'm here just to arouse you with steamy descriptions of the new and instantly legendary Nissan GT-R. You want me to parade around in frilly verbiage, like: "The acceleration of the twin-turbo, all-wheel-drive, 480-hp GT-R is much like a 50-yard field goal in the NFL, wherein your butt is the football." Sigh. I feel so used.

But I'm not going to do that, see? I'm not going to say that Nissan's appallingly fast, superbly balanced GT-R sports car is a Ferrari killer, though it easily manhandles Maranello's F430 in 0-60 mph performance, quarter-mile time and lateral grip, and for a fraction of the price (an MSRP of around $70,000, though dealers can charge what they want, and will). I refuse to be drawn into comparisons between the Porsche GT2 -- a $200,000 street racer with suspension settings by Torquemada -- and this serene, effortlessly livable, all-weather coupe that, inconveniently for the top-line Porsche, matches it step for step. It matters a little, but not a lot, that the GT-R is within a second or two (7.38 seconds) of the production-car lap record at Germany's fabled N
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"two tons of fluffy kitten"

"how awesome this is, if you are 11"
Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet we have MORE GT-R threads than the actual GT-R board.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 AM

good read. Sounds to me as if all you're looking for is a white knuckle experience while driving, just switch the driving aids off
Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Could have just stuck this in the main GTR thread.

Journalist was notably biased before ever seeing the car in person. All anyone ever talks about is numbers, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Japanese engineers focused on achieving things on paper, and turning them into reality for $70k. You want a more involving drive, then you will have to pay for it.

If I had $70k in the bank and nothing better to do with it, I'd have one in the garage this year. It may not have the involvement this journalist was looking for....it doesn't have the price tag to match either.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 AM

What a turd.

he contradicts himself about the GT-R with his porsche gt2 review.

[http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...0,2487267.story

In any event, the GT2's 0-60 mph number is pure marketing, the glowing numerical nimbus of incomparable performance around this, Porsche's halo car. Nobody who owns this car is going to be flogging it at Irwindale Speedway on test-and-tune night -- like I did (sorry, Porsche).

It ain't me, babe. I continue to love the 911 Turbo, with its all-wheel drive and available automatic transmission, comfy seats, compliant suspension and proper upholstery. The Turbo churns up virtually all of the same Porsche-brand adrenaline while still being livable and lovable. So it only goes 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds. So it only goes 190 mph. Call me a wuss.

The GT2 is too bad a monkey for me
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 AM

wait..........................no, still dont give a shit.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 AM

This guy is a tool!

He would problaby flog a Viper ACR and complain about how uncontrolable it is at the limits!
Which is the oppisite of what he complains about in the GTR article above.

The only thing I wish they would do with the GTR is make the exhaust note louder.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Apr 25 2008, 12:00 PM
Could have just stuck this in the main GTR thread.

Journalist was notably biased before ever seeing the car in person. All anyone ever talks about is numbers, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Japanese engineers focused on achieving things on paper, and turning them into reality for $70k. You want a more involving drive, then you will have to pay for it.

If I had $70k in the bank and nothing better to do with it, I'd have one in the garage this year. It may not have the involvement this journalist was looking for....it doesn't have the price tag to match either.
Not for $70K you wouldn't
Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM

yeah way too many gtr threads. we are fan bois!!! hahah

Quick Reply: The 2nd OFFICIAL GT-R Thread