Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The $28,000 question.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The $28,000 question.

So I'm bored at work, and I got to thinking: I have two cars, and I love them both. The S2000 is a luxury (but a bargain as far as sports cars go), and the Fit is definitely on the cheaper side but serves excellent DD duty. Philosophically, I'm a big fan of having specialized tools for specialized functions, rather than a crossover jack-of-all-trades type. But I thought: if I sold them both, could I come up with a better combination for their value? ($28k)

What would you guys spend $28k on, if your current vehicle lineup was wiped clean?

[edit for clarification:] $28k on any car or combination of cars... not necessarily a single vehicle.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a newer (2008) S2000 and an older Chevy 4x4 pickup right now. I don't think I'd change a thing. The S2000 is my DD in nice weather and the truck handles DD duties in the winter (or bad weather in general) plus any hauling or dirty work (or when I have a bunch of people). For $28K, I'd have to go with an older S2000 than I have now but I'd have no problem buying a 2006 model + a pickup. If I had a longer commute, though, I'd go with something other than the pickup - older Subaru Impreza wagon or Forester, maybe?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like you're saying you could only have 1 car then to do everything... if that's the case I'd probably go with a Focus ST or WRX hatch. Both of those I could pick up in new condition for $28k and I'd have all the versatility I need but still have something I could play with on the weekends. I'd prefer an FR-S/BRZ but the practicality part isn't the best (ironic seeing as how I plan on replacing my current DD with an FR-S next year )
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM

If I wanted one do-everything car. It would probably be a hot hatchback. Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, or as mentioned above something a little bigger like a Forester XT works well too. But the ST or the WRX would be my top choices. ST or GTI best gas mileage for more interest in the DD aspect, WRX for the fastest one.

If you can sacrifice a little practicality for some style, then a used BMW 335 maybe. Some reliability issues with the fuel pump, but they've got a decent warranty on them now. Decent sized sedan which should still be lots of fun, and keep you happy for a long time because it doesn't do anything badly. Looks good, nice interior, strong motor.

But then ask yourself. Would you choose any of those when you can get a used Porsche Cayman for $28k? Or a used Corvette if that's more of your cup of tea.

Though in reality I think your s2k / Fit combo is excellent and not worthy of trade unless you don't mind DDing a Cayman!

I'm interested to hear other responses because I know there are other great, and more inventive, choices out there. The sub $30k question, though asked often, is always fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by FurY
It sounds like you're saying you could only have 1 car then to do everything... if that's the case I'd probably go with a Focus ST or WRX hatch. Both of those I could pick up in new condition for $28k and I'd have all the versatility I need but still have something I could play with on the weekends. I'd prefer an FR-S/BRZ but the practicality part isn't the best (ironic seeing as how I plan on replacing my current DD with an FR-S next year )
Me? No, I love my combination I do NOT want a "do everything" car, but I know some people here like them, so I guess I'm curious what other people would get.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Me? No, I love my combination I do NOT want a "do everything" car, but I know some people here like them, so I guess I'm curious what other people would get.
I would get a BRZ as my do everything car for $28k. I would prefer to have different cars for different purposes (like I do know). But I think of how much money is sitting and not being used. My appeal to a "do everything" car comes from a financial POV. BRZ would be paid in full, $$ left over, & I'd save in insurance too. hmmm.. so what I am waiting for? lol
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM

I would go with a used 135i.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1361305850' post='22348550
I would get a BRZ as my do everything car for $28k. I would prefer to have different cars for different purposes (like I do know). But I think of how much money is sitting and not being used. My appeal to a "do everything" car comes from a financial POV. BRZ would be paid in full, $$ left over, & I'd save in insurance too. hmmm.. so what I am waiting for? lol
I've never driven a BRZ, but I can confidently say there is no way I would enjoy a new BRZ as much as the combination of S2000 + utility car. Nope.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup' timestamp='1361306615' post='22348585
[quote name='i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1361305850' post='22348550']
I've never driven a BRZ, but I can confidently say there is no way I would enjoy a new BRZ as much as the combination of S2000 + utility car. Nope.
[/quote]
hmm.. how about BRZ & $25k in your pocket?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1361308551' post='22348673
[quote name='iLuveketchup' timestamp='1361306615' post='22348585']
[quote name='i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1361305850' post='22348550']
[/quote]
hmm.. how about BRZ & $25k in your pocket?
[/quote]

so BRZ only costs $3000? sign me up!

Quick Reply: The $28,000 question.