Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder

Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
To the people who buy Mustang GTs and Dodge Hellcats, probably not. However to many others it is.

If you were ever at any time considering a Boxster S or 911 Cab, this this car makes a very compelling case for a $90k sports car.
I guess I feel this car worth $75k with ac, radio and nav.

I really like the weight, but feel like for the money it should be pushing over 400hp. I'm obviously not their target customer. It'll be $100k OTD and I'd buy something else.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1427979902' post='23563828
To the people who buy Mustang GTs and Dodge Hellcats, probably not. However to many others it is.

If you were ever at any time considering a Boxster S or 911 Cab, this this car makes a very compelling case for a $90k sports car.

I really like the weight, but feel like for the money it should be pushing over 400hp. I'm obviously not their target customer. It'll be $100k OTD and I'd buy something else.
For $75k you can buy a Boxster GTS (with AC and Radio) - which is one hell of a car and has received almost universal praise.

Late model porsches have never been about the numbers. If you want cheap horsepower, this brand is NEVER the answer. However they do strike a very compelling balance between performance, precision, and luxury. Also, their cars always perform better than you think they should on paper. Their 325HP Cayman S has been clocked at 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Once you look past the intermediate product (power) and look at the end product (driving and ownership enjoyment), then the cars start to make a lot more sense for the money you're paying.

Also, with an $83k starting price, you could add a few essential options and be out the door for $88-90k. Porsche options are largely absurd and anyone who tells me they just MUST have the deviated color stitching on their steering wheel ($1050) or 18 way power adjustable leather bucket seats ($3000) is just being silly.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

But is it 90k worth of car?
Probably... What else could you buy for a two seat convertible under a 100K? F-Type or Vantage GT is all I would consider and I'd take the Vantage GT over the F-Type regardless of which one is faster. Cars like these are about the sensory experience; not stats on a sheet of paper.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1427981895' post='23563872
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1427979902' post='23563828']

For $75k you can buy a Boxster GTS (with AC and Radio) - which is one hell of a car and has received almost universal praise.

Late model porsches have never been about the numbers. If you want cheap horsepower, this brand is NEVER the answer. However they do strike a very compelling balance between performance, precision, and luxury. Also, their cars always perform better than you think they should on paper. Their 325HP Cayman S has been clocked at 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Once you look past the intermediate product (power) and look at the end product (driving and ownership enjoyment), then the cars start to make a lot more sense for the money you're paying.

Also, with an $83k starting price, you could add a few essential options and be out the door for $88-90k. Porsche options are largely absurd and anyone who tells me they just MUST have the deviated color stitching on their steering wheel ($1050) or 18 way power adjustable leather bucket seats ($3000) is just being silly.
[/quote]

Porsche kind of reminds me of Apple in that respect. You can buy a PC that will just blow away a comparably priced Apple (if such a thing even exists) in terms of specs. Some people just prefer the cachet and experience of owning an Apple computer, so the specs are a secondary consideration. Same thing with Porsche.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Without the roof to balance it out I find the 981 Boxster looking extremely "thick". Especially with those oversized 20 inch wheels.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Spyder = not a convertible, but an open top car.

Porsche is just being an ass now

Old 04-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1427981895' post='23563872
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1427979902' post='23563828']

[/quote]

I understand they are about the experience. I guess I'm telling you I think their cars are 10-15% higher priced then I think their 'experience' is worth.

I'm not reading just stats per say, but a sum of the package. Knowing their profit margin is the highest, they've also done a great job carving out a segment with huge overlap. They're slicing up a 2 seater segment that appears to be all they're able to offer successfully in the market place. For this reason I think their pricing should be lower. They swap parts, motors, brakes, suspension and re-market it as X when it's really 75% of XYZ car.

I really like the GT4, and a friend wanted to buy one. They've limited production so greatly that it's not possible for him to buy without a long waiting list. As in Porsche fans who have been waiting for years might not get them. I believe a total of 400 are coming to the US this year.

Don't get me wrong, I think they put out a few good cars. Most of their lineup however is small HP bumps for $15k price bumps. Then with limited production they keep their pricing high. It's great for business but not great for those sensory experiences you're referring too.

The Apple comparison is a good one, but at least they understand supply/demand. I have zero desire to wait 1-2 years on a wait list. Porsche makes good reviewer cars. Where the mags can talk up the motor, the experience and the balance on and off the track. But try to go buy one.... that never comes up in the review.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:17 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think they put out a few good cars. Most of their lineup however is small HP bumps for $15k price bumps. Then with limited production they keep their pricing high. It's great for business but not great for those sensory experiences you're referring too.
What two seat European convertible sports car in a manual would you buy in the 80-100K range new then?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1428020582' post='23564787
What two seat European convertible sports car in a manual would you buy in the 80-100K range new then?
Not digging a convertable option. If it has to be European 2 seat performance I would be looking at the GT4 which I couldn't buy, due to production.

Keep in mind, even if you want to buy this spyder, chances are you cannot find it available. Reason this model gets a hard time from me is its basically the same price as the GT4 but less car, for a drop top. I want more gt3 parts then a drop top.

The f-type Jag is what I would strongly consider.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1428059832' post='23565105
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1428020582' post='23564787']Don't get me wrong, I think they put out a few good cars. Most of their lineup however is small HP bumps for $15k price bumps. Then with limited production they keep their pricing high. It's great for business but not great for those sensory experiences you're referring too.
Not digging a convertable option. If it has to be European 2 seat performance I would be looking at the GT4 which I couldn't buy, due to production.

Keep in mind, even if you want to buy this spyder, chances are you cannot find it available. Reason this model gets a hard time from me is its basically the same price as the GT4 but less car, for a drop top. I want more gt3 parts then a drop top.

The f-type Jag is what I would strongly consider.
[/quote]

Well considering this thread is on a convertible... GT4 is another thread. I bet many would pick the F-Type over the Boxster Spyder too. I would lean towards the Porsche, but would need to drive both. Not big on German cars, but to be objective, the Boxster is sure nice.

Quick Reply: 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder