Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Mazda Mx5 unveiled

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^^Yeah I'm aware of that engine. I was just referring to the possibility of aftermarket forced induction of their existing SkyActiv engines.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First pics of new motor

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...osest-look-yet

Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High CR just means the boost level needs to be kept lower to prevent detonation...which also means you can put a tiny turbo on the thing and have an exceptional torque curve with no perceivable turbo lag.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Of course you "can" still add forced induction. But at some point it's not worth it financially.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Of course you "can" still add forced induction. But at some point it's not worth it financially.

I am already feeling the disappointment creep in. I LOVE the looks of the car and the weight. But if they are talking SMALLER than to 2.0, yuck. Nothin short of the 2.5 does it for me NA, it just won't make enough go.

The current car was clocked at 0-60 in 6.2 by C&D. That is exactly the same as my 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo 25 years ago. The wieght loss is fantastic, but more go please.

The ONE question I want a journalist to ask Mazda is, "Will the 2.5 fit?"
Old 09-09-2014, 06:52 AM

2.5 will fit. I mean people stuffed 302s and LSx engines in here. But then it won't be a Miata. If you didn't like this car before then you probably won't like it now.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 AM

^^^ Exactly - the Miata isn't for spec/metric fanatics, it's for enthusiasts (like me) who find them to be tons of fun irrespective of the relatively low power. On tight, twisty, bumpy backroads, I expect it will be more fun than most supercars.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
^^^ Exactly - the Miata isn't for spec/metric fanatics, it's for enthusiasts (like me) who find them to be tons of fun irrespective of the relatively low power. On tight, twisty, bumpy backroads, I expect it will be more fun than most supercars.

Chris, by suggesting that we are not "enthusiasts" if we can't get behind the Miata formula simply ignores and underlying truth, we are ALL enthusiasts. Some of us are just more enthusiastic for some things then others. I don't think anyone is wishing it was a completely different formula, but I can certainly understand a call for more power than the last version and I am still confident that Mazda will provide. It's not going to be mindblowingly faster than an NC but hitting the mark for weight loss and cutting power would be a mistake IMO.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM

2.5G is a 89bore x 100stroke (same as the older 2.5vvt motor)
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa...ures_Specs.pdf

2.0G also has a fairly long stroke (83.5B x 91.2stroke)
http://www.marinmazdasubaru.com/lineup_mazda3.php

a 8.8mm stroke difference - If I'm not miss-understanding engine design, if wanting to keep the same compression ratio b/t the 2.0 and 2.5 as well as rod size and piston design remotely the same, 1/2 of that stroke would only add to deck height. So we are talking less than a 3/16" difference in deck height "MOST LIKELY". If compression ratios were to change by 1pt for a more peppy MX-5 motor, the difference would be pretty small.

I haven't seen Mazda published deck height figures for these motors. educated guess here. the 2.5G should fit easily IMO if 3/16" is all that needs to be accomadated for.

I'd guess that the crankshaft bore is the same distance from the bottom of the block to the center on both the 2.0 and 2.5 motors simply b/c the power output isn't that different and it appears Mazda has put a lot of thought into production processes and has worked with manufacturing at some level to increase efficiencies with smart designs. http://articles.sae.org/11783/

also for reference
2.3 turbo comes in at 87.5 mm bore, 94 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/0...#ixzz3Cq873awk
Old 09-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1410283510' post='23323257

Chris, by suggesting that we are not "enthusiasts" if we can't get behind the Miata formula simply ignores and underlying truth, we are ALL enthusiasts. Some of us are just more enthusiastic for some things then others. I don't think anyone is wishing it was a completely different formula, but I can certainly understand a call for more power than the last version and I am still confident that Mazda will provide. It's not going to be mindblowingly faster than an NC but hitting the mark for weight loss and cutting power would be a mistake IMO.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you're not an enthusiast if you're not into the Miata, just that it appeals to certain enthusiasts who appreciate the car for what it is.

Quick Reply: 2016 Mazda Mx5 unveiled