Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Mazda Mx5 unveiled

Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think more than anything its a reconnection to the NB design language.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I think more than anything its a reconnection to the NB design language.

I'd agree with this more when talking about last year's version but this new 2016 is an obvious departure.....

With design cues from Jaguar, Alfa and the Honda.... IMO

This looks more reminiscent of the S2000 than the original Miata....... That is why so many people on this forum are saying they like this new rendition...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
Well... a lot of articles have sprung up since MX5 reveal and several have mentioned new Mx5 being reminiscent of the S2000.... just sayin!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/au...iata.html?_r=0

"Mazda made the nose of the car flatter and lower than the 2015 model, while adding prominent, peaked fenders in the front and back that are reminiscent of the Honda S2000."
The s2000 doesn't have peaked fenders front and rear though....they are more ridge like....
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1409940330' post='23317682
Ricky Flowers, you really need to stop "taking liberties" with cars prices, lol. This Miata won't be $20-25k. We should be so lucky. Given that the 2014 MIata starts at a little over $24k I think we'll be lucky if they keep the new base price below $25k.

Furthermore, stating that an S2000 costs $36k because that's what you parents paid is you being intentionally misleading. You were trying to exaggerate numbers to support your argument. I could have countered and said a friend of mine bought one brand new in 2002 for $29k but then I would be disingenuous. Referring to MSRP is the only way to keep things honest.

Anyway, I guarantee you'll be able to buy the new Miata at MSRP. The FRS/BRZ was hyped big time and you could buy that at MSRP from the very beginning. Does that mean there won't be some idiot out there that pays markup? No, but we don't need to waste our time contemplating what ill-informed people are doing (btw I'm not implying your parents are less than intelligent).

I'm with s.hasan546 here.
A few things:

I'm going off of memory on 100% of this, and not doing any research. This is a discussion, and if I'm wrong on these numbers, sorry. I'm not winning a trophy, you're not winning a trophy, no gold stars will be handed out, etc.

After looking everything up (apparently, what you felt I should have done initially) the MSRP for a base Miata in 2000 was $20,545. The MSRP for the same year Honda S2000 was $32,000. That car cost, brand new at introduction, 36% more than the same year base model Miata.

Let's compare horsepower figures:

Honda S2000: 240 HP
Mazda Miata (base): 140 HP

That is a 42% increase in power.

This bump in power could be attributed to a few things: bigger budget for engine development, and a more expensive engine that was designed from scratch for the S2000. Honda threw its engineering might at producing the best road car engine it could for the platform, and the rest is history.

Mazda, on the other hand, continued to put the same engine that it had began producing in 1989. Although the engine was incrementally updated in that time, it was based on the original 80's technology and engineering principles of the first iteration of the BP engine.

These cars, back then, were on two entirely different levels in terms of engine performance and price.

Now is where it starts to get kinda fuzzy. Mazda produced the MZR engine for the NC and the rest of it's four-cylinder line up. The engine, although discontinued by Mazda, is still being made by Ford. It was designed to be a responsive, economical four-cylinder engine to be shared across the Mazda brand in anything from the MX-5 to the 3/6 sedan, even the 5 wagon and in turbocharged iteration the Mazdaspeed3 and CX-7. This is in contrast to the F-series in that it was designed with eking out as much horsepower from a 2-liter engine, economy and torque be damned. It's a completely different, and much more exotic animal than any engine Mazda will ever put in a Miata.

The new Skyactiv engines will still make upwards of 160 hp (this engine in a Mazda 3 makes 184 in base trim) while still returning impressive fuel economy (28/38 in that same 3). This increase in efficiency is remarkable in that they are making so much power out of a truly mass-produced engine.

I'm willing to eat my own words if I'm wrong, but I cannot see them charging more than $26,000 (base model) for this car. Even if they do, it's still shouldn't be too surprising, considering the price of new cars has been going up for years now, especially sports cars. Imagine how much a new S2000 would cost. Do you think it would still be $32,000 dollars, new? Probably not, right? This hypothetical argument of performance-per-dollar is always incredibly difficult to nail down when comparing a used car (priced as a new one) to a new car.

Regardless of how much it costs, I have every reason to believe it will be a great little sports car. Anyone who has ever owned and driven Miatas (I work on them every day) knows that it's more than the sum of its parts, and is an excellent drivers car regardless of power. I still don't understand why S2000 owners feel the need to justify their decision to buy one over a Miata, when their car is, in essence, almost 15 years old now, and Mazda is still making these. If horsepower was such an issue, you would have bought a Corvette, no?

The REAL argument here is whether this car, new, is a better buy than a used S2000 of the same price. For $26,000 you could buy a really nice '08 AP2, and for the price of an optioned-up MX-5 you could reasonably expect to be able to afford a really nice CR. Obviously, I took the route of buying a used car (an AP1) instead of buying a new car, even though I could have afforded one. If I had to do it all over again, I would have, but I would also have bought a used Miata and turbocharged it, as every time I get on track they seem to pass me....
I agree with all of this, but I'd say you're even being a bit generous. Just doing some mental math, a $33,000 car costs roughly 50% more than a $22,000 car. That's a huge difference
Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1409943090' post='23317772
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1409940330' post='23317682']
Ricky Flowers, you really need to stop "taking liberties" with cars prices, lol. This Miata won't be $20-25k. We should be so lucky. Given that the 2014 MIata starts at a little over $24k I think we'll be lucky if they keep the new base price below $25k.

Furthermore, stating that an S2000 costs $36k because that's what you parents paid is you being intentionally misleading. You were trying to exaggerate numbers to support your argument. I could have countered and said a friend of mine bought one brand new in 2002 for $29k but then I would be disingenuous. Referring to MSRP is the only way to keep things honest.

Anyway, I guarantee you'll be able to buy the new Miata at MSRP. The FRS/BRZ was hyped big time and you could buy that at MSRP from the very beginning. Does that mean there won't be some idiot out there that pays markup? No, but we don't need to waste our time contemplating what ill-informed people are doing (btw I'm not implying your parents are less than intelligent).

I'm with s.hasan546 here.
A few things:

I'm going off of memory on 100% of this, and not doing any research. This is a discussion, and if I'm wrong on these numbers, sorry. I'm not winning a trophy, you're not winning a trophy, no gold stars will be handed out, etc.

After looking everything up (apparently, what you felt I should have done initially) the MSRP for a base Miata in 2000 was $20,545. The MSRP for the same year Honda S2000 was $32,000. That car cost, brand new at introduction, 36% more than the same year base model Miata.

Let's compare horsepower figures:

Honda S2000: 240 HP
Mazda Miata (base): 140 HP

That is a 42% increase in power.

This bump in power could be attributed to a few things: bigger budget for engine development, and a more expensive engine that was designed from scratch for the S2000. Honda threw its engineering might at producing the best road car engine it could for the platform, and the rest is history.

Mazda, on the other hand, continued to put the same engine that it had began producing in 1989. Although the engine was incrementally updated in that time, it was based on the original 80's technology and engineering principles of the first iteration of the BP engine.

These cars, back then, were on two entirely different levels in terms of engine performance and price.

Now is where it starts to get kinda fuzzy. Mazda produced the MZR engine for the NC and the rest of it's four-cylinder line up. The engine, although discontinued by Mazda, is still being made by Ford. It was designed to be a responsive, economical four-cylinder engine to be shared across the Mazda brand in anything from the MX-5 to the 3/6 sedan, even the 5 wagon and in turbocharged iteration the Mazdaspeed3 and CX-7. This is in contrast to the F-series in that it was designed with eking out as much horsepower from a 2-liter engine, economy and torque be damned. It's a completely different, and much more exotic animal than any engine Mazda will ever put in a Miata.

The new Skyactiv engines will still make upwards of 160 hp (this engine in a Mazda 3 makes 184 in base trim) while still returning impressive fuel economy (28/38 in that same 3). This increase in efficiency is remarkable in that they are making so much power out of a truly mass-produced engine.

I'm willing to eat my own words if I'm wrong, but I cannot see them charging more than $26,000 (base model) for this car. Even if they do, it's still shouldn't be too surprising, considering the price of new cars has been going up for years now, especially sports cars. Imagine how much a new S2000 would cost. Do you think it would still be $32,000 dollars, new? Probably not, right? This hypothetical argument of performance-per-dollar is always incredibly difficult to nail down when comparing a used car (priced as a new one) to a new car.

Regardless of how much it costs, I have every reason to believe it will be a great little sports car. Anyone who has ever owned and driven Miatas (I work on them every day) knows that it's more than the sum of its parts, and is an excellent drivers car regardless of power. I still don't understand why S2000 owners feel the need to justify their decision to buy one over a Miata, when their car is, in essence, almost 15 years old now, and Mazda is still making these. If horsepower was such an issue, you would have bought a Corvette, no?

The REAL argument here is whether this car, new, is a better buy than a used S2000 of the same price. For $26,000 you could buy a really nice '08 AP2, and for the price of an optioned-up MX-5 you could reasonably expect to be able to afford a really nice CR. Obviously, I took the route of buying a used car (an AP1) instead of buying a new car, even though I could have afforded one. If I had to do it all over again, I would have, but I would also have bought a used Miata and turbocharged it, as every time I get on track they seem to pass me....
I agree with all of this, but I'd say you're even being a bit generous. Just doing some mental math, a $33,000 car costs roughly 50% more than a $22,000 car. That's a huge difference
[/quote]

But I don't think you can just try to adjust production costs by inflation. As the auto industry evolved, it found ways to give more and charging less. Especially as competition increases. Just look what is standard in a Honda Accord base today. Back up camera, lane change camera an so on.

I bet if the S2000 were made the same way today which was to a great extent "BY HAND" in Japan.... It would cost at least $70K which only a few people would be willing to pay for a Honda..... I would though
Old 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree that you can't just adjust for inflation, but I don't think that's what I was doing. I was referring to the approximate prices of a Miata and s2000 at a time when they when sold together.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$70k?!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
$70k?!

Have you ever watched video of how this car was produced in Japan??? A lot of hands on production...... So yes, if the new "s2000" were made in such small numbers the same painstakingly way, then yes..... you are looking at a $70K retail car today..... Bet the Pontiac Solstice wasn't made like our s2000.... LOL

https://www.s2ki.com/home/2011/02/25...-the-last-run/
Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I agree that you can't just adjust for inflation, but I don't think that's what I was doing. I was referring to the approximate prices of a Miata and s2000 at a time when they when sold together.
Yeah, I get it.... I wonder how much Honda made on the S2000? I bet they lost money or barely broke even on each one. It was to promote brand... Not their bread and butter like the Civic and Accord.... obviously...

I really think they lost money on each one if they really calculated with "profit" in mind. Bet they didn't even worry about cost.

I read the Lexus LFA lost $250k on each one they made and they were still over $350K to purchase. They made and sold them for supercar bragging rights.

The S2000 is no supercar, but it was a labor of love for Honda. Bragging rights to promote racing heritage.

The Miata was a roadster for the masses.... Not a bona fide sportscar....But I thought maybe this new launch of 2016 would change that but maybe they'll stay somewhere between its roots and a legit sporty roadster.... It will all play out in performance #s......

It looks pretty nice though....
Old 09-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
The Miata was a roadster for the masses.... Not a bona fide sportscar....
It is and has been just about the most legitimate bona fide sports car on the market, IMO. Supercar, no; sports car, yes.

Quick Reply: 2016 Mazda Mx5 unveiled