Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Mazda MX-5 (ND) to be unveiled Sep 3. 2014 at Laguna Seca

Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Definitely a turbo spinning in that teaser. I'm with Marioshi - I'd bet on a 1.5L turbo engine.

I think FR-S power/weight will be reasonable - 190 hp and 2500 lbs, I'd bet. Slightly less powerful and slightly lighter, giving similar speed in a fun package. Should be torquier, though, which will make it a little more fun around town.

Nice thing about a turbo motor is you can tune it for a little more power/torque. Might be able to get upwards of 220 hp and torque via Cobb (or some other tuner), which would be a blast!
With a new DI engine, there would be much more than +30hp gains by tuning/bolt-ons, more like 60-100 depending on how conservative the tune is from the factory, and how bad the intake/exhaust tracts are bottled up by Mazda. I say this as, even 10 years ago, ~50whp could be gained on my MSM with only a small investment. The stock turbo was the limiting factor in the end; to get more, it needed to be upgraded. And that car has one of the worst factory ECU tunes of any car I've ever seen (and wasn't able to be flashed); I'd bet, if the new one is indeed turbocharged, that it has a much better and likely flashable ECU, and also likely has pent up power to spare due to restrictive plumbing (like the MSM). This is all speculation, of course, pending verification that it is turbocharged at all (videos are misleading and meant to build hype in some cases).
Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Originally Posted by EastS2k' timestamp='1405047716' post='23238864
That's not very Miata-like...

Current gen Mazda? Yes. Miata-like? No.

Pics won't link, but here are some actual test mule pics:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...mx-5-spy-shots

I like the black one - potentially the best looking Miata by far. Remains to be seen how close these mules are to the production car.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those shots of the test mule have the current gen body. I'd bet that they are only testing mechanicals with that car - and not the new bodywork.

The white car above looks good to me - though it's hard to make a final judgement without seeing the front too.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Are you sure about that? On that black car, the front end looks quite a bit longer to my eye. A friend of mine has one one of the current gen in hardtop.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Are you sure about that? On that black car, the front end looks quite a bit longer to my eye. A friend of mine has one one of the current gen in hardtop.
Well both the front and rear design of the test mule is nearly identical to the current car. The overall structure could be longer/wider/whatever, but the sheetmetal and bumpers surely are not representative of what the final product is going to be.

The white car posted above should probably be pretty close to what the rear of the car will look like.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by jeffbrig' timestamp='1405347717' post='23242826
Well both the front and rear design of the test mule is nearly identical to the current car. The overall structure could be longer/wider/whatever, but the sheetmetal and bumpers surely are not representative of what the final product is going to be.

The white car posted above should probably be pretty close to what the rear of the car will look like.
Right. It's similar to what Honda has been doing with the NSX test mule, only they're using an elongated S2000 body.

As far as the white rendering, it's very old and probably just guess-work. There are a ton of renderings out there and many have just been manipulations of Ferrari 458s and Jaguar F-Types. Take them with a grain of salt.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Some updates. Mark Booth, a reputable user on the miata.net forums had some tidbits about the reveal taking place in September.

Here's the scoop on the ND's unveiling:

1) Japan - 'Mazda Roadster Thanks Day' - An invitation-only event taking place in Chiba on September 4 starting at 9:30 a.m. This is expected to be primarily a press/dealer unveiling. However, Mazda is allowing 1,200 Miata enthusiasts/public to attend as well (application to participate opened on July 4 and was on a first come first serve basis).

I remember reading of a second event scheduled for Japan a couple of days later, but I can't find the details on that at this time. It seems safe to assume the second event will be the unveiling for a much larger number of the Japanese public. Here's Mazda's Japan (Global) Press Release:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/relea...7/140703a.html

2) United States - An invitation-only event is being held somewhere in Monterey, CA on September 3. This is a press/dealer event only. The time for the event has not been publicly announced. However, when it is September 4 at 9:30 a.m. in Chiba, Japan it is September 3 at 5:30 p.m. in Monterey, CA. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume the Monterey press/dealer invitation-only event will take place starting at 5:30 p.m. Particularly since Mazda has emphasized that the three events will be simultaneous unveilings (see the global press release linked above).

Then, two days later, the U.S. public unveiling of the ND will take place at Miatas@MRLS (September 5-7). Here's Mazda's U.S. Press Release:

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2014-07...IATA-CONFIRMED

3) Spain - Since I don't read Spanish, I'm unable to find a Mazda press release for the Spain event. We know it's happening because a "Europe" event is mentioned in the Mazda Japan press release and a "Spain" event is mentioned in the U.S. press release. We also know that Mazda Netherlands was holding a contest for lucky MX-5 owners to win tickets to the "premiere of a very special Mazda" in Barcelona on September 6-7. However, since Mazda has emphasized simultaneous unveilings in the three locations, it seems safe to assume that a press/dealer event of some kind will be held on September 4. I say September 4 because when it's 5:30 p.m. in California it is 2:30 a.m. the next day in Barcelona. So, with the time differences, I don't know how on earth Mazda is going to make the three events truly "simultaneous."

Maybe not so coincidentally, there is a '24 Hours of Barcelona' event scheduled at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya racetrack on September 5-7. While the location of the public unveiling in Barcelona has not been officially announced (that I'm aware of), it seems pretty safe to assume the public unveiling is going to happen at the racetrack. The coincidence of the dates with the Miatas@MRLS event seems, well, too coincidental. Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya website:

http://www.circuitcat.com/en/

That's everything I know. A synopsis of the above:

• September 3 @ 5:30 p.m. (my guesstimate on the time) the ND will be unveiled to the press and dealers at an invitation-only event in Monterey, CA. At the exact same time (September 4 @ 9:30 a.m. in Japan) the ND will be unveiled for the press, dealers and 1,200 members of the public in Japan.

• I'm unable to find details on the "simultaneous" unveiling in Spain. My efforts are hampered by the fact that I don't read Spanish.

• The U.S. public's first chance to see the ND "in the sheet metal" will be on September 5 at the Miatas@MRLS world record attempt for largest gathering of Miatas.

Lastly, it seems pretty obvious that we'll all get to see photos of the ND (and probably lots of them) starting the evening of September 3. By 6:00 p.m. (Pacific Time), I expect the web will be flooded with photos of the new Miata. Both, official press photos provided by Mazda, and photos that members of the press (and some public in Japan) are taking at their respective events.

I also expect that Mazda will post press releases in concert with the press/dealer unveilings. Basically, by early evening on September 3, we'll know pretty much everything we want to know about the car.

If one of our Spanish speaking members could locate (and translate) any Mazda Spain press release on the unveiling, it would be appreciated.

Mark"
So they're making this launch a pretty big deal. It must be a fairly drastic change for the car. The lightweight factor of it, Mazda's recent styling, and having a more modern S2000-like vehicle intrigues me. If it has the pep, I may consider one. I'm still a little iffy on how much power it has. But at 2200-2300 lbs with even 200HP, it could be quick. But I somehow doubt it will hit that. With all the forced induction rumors though, there is hope.

There have been numerous renders/speculations, but this one stood out to me the most.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

IT won't look like that because that would actually make enthusiasts happy. If by some miracle it actually does look like that, I'll take two.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
IT won't look like that because that would actually make enthusiasts happy. If by some miracle it actually does look like that, I'll take two.
Hah! I don't want to get my hopes up either, but the fact that they're doing an unveiling in 3 countries simultaneously, and are showing it at the "Fashion Week" event makes me think this thing will be appealing. I trust Mazda's designers, since their new lineup (Mazda 3, 6, CX-5, etc.) stands out over a lot of competitors in my eyes.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM

As a long time Miata owner and also S2000 owner, I am really excited by the new Miata. To those S2000 owners that might bash it, what has Honda done for you lately? The Miata persists one because it is cheap enough for most people to afford it. The S2000 was too cheap at the end of its production run(and hadn't been updated) to appeal to the "brand snobs" yet too expensive to be the average person's 2nd car. Most likely the new Miata will weigh about the same as the old one without having a ton of new power....a disappointment to some, but let's face it, the Miata has never had enough power.

180hp, lighter than NC, and around 25k is the magic #.....if they can do it and make it look good, I am buying one

Quick Reply: 2016 Mazda MX-5 (ND) to be unveiled Sep 3. 2014 at Laguna Seca