Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Mazda MX-5 (ND) to be unveiled Sep 3. 2014 at Laguna Seca

Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys say mod it or boost it, but it will likely be a while. Unless this car is a hit with aftermarket support like the GT86, which it wont, it'll be slim pickens. With each generation of the MX5 there are fewer and fewer mods. The NC doesn't really have a whole lot, and most of what it does have is recent development. It only took 6 (SIX!) years to have companies FINALLY figure out how to moderately safely boost them. I've had mine since 08 and it's been torture not having a lot of aftermarket support. Only a few companies out there that offer much of anything. Suspension stuff is pretty diverse, but major power..not so much.

All that being said, with it being lighter 150hp would be ok. I would guess that around the 170hp mark it would be on par with an S judging off how mine compares....very slightly slower, but then again all of that is relative.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Some leaked engine specs if true are very disappointing!! 1.5L sky active with 128 HP lol. If that's true it's pathetic. Even with lighter weight it will be a worse power to weight ratio.
I have a feeling the leaked specs aren't correct that. That is just so pathetic of a hp figure to be true I think.
They may as well stick the old 1.8 liter back in there if that's the case
Old 09-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarbleGT
You guys say mod it or boost it, but it will likely be a while. Unless this car is a hit with aftermarket support like the GT86, which it wont, it'll be slim pickens. With each generation of the MX5 there are fewer and fewer mods. The NC doesn't really have a whole lot, and most of what it does have is recent development. It only took 6 (SIX!) years to have companies FINALLY figure out how to moderately safely boost them. I've had mine since 08 and it's been torture not having a lot of aftermarket support. Only a few companies out there that offer much of anything. Suspension stuff is pretty diverse, but major power..not so much.

All that being said, with it being lighter 150hp would be ok. I would guess that around the 170hp mark it would be on par with an S judging off how mine compares....very slightly slower, but then again all of that is relative.
Please share more details on your NC, I love these cars and was quite saddened by the relative lack of aftermarket options the older brother versions have.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by Moddiction' timestamp='1410484670' post='23327430
Some leaked engine specs if true are very disappointing!! 1.5L sky active with 128 HP lol. If that's true it's pathetic. Even with lighter weight it will be a worse power to weight ratio.
I have a feeling the leaked specs aren't correct that. That is just so pathetic of a hp figure to be true I think.
They may as well stick the old 1.8 liter back in there if that's the case
The Miata has had two different engines for a while now. There was previously a 1.8 that made 126 hp. If these rumors are true, it's more likely that we're looking at the smaller engine and not the engine that will be offered in the US.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I gotta say, the mazda engines sure have poo power output. Ya ya they have low end grunt for putzing around town/etc, but they don't have one NA engine putting out 200hp..? I didn't realize how weak their engines are (minus the turbo 4cyl). Doesn't give me a whole lot of hope for the engine in the new miata. Also, I had no idea the engines are 13 or 14:1 CR, which don't lend themselves well to aftermarket turbos. It sure would be nice to see them toss some kind of turbo 4 cyl in the miata, but that seems highly unlikely as it would be too good to be true.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Please share more details on your NC, I love these cars and was quite saddened by the relative lack of aftermarket options the older brother versions have.
I'm not gripping about the car, just the long delay in readily available state side aftermarket gear.

There is still to this day nothing I'd rather be driving, and honestly, there is nothing on the market that does anything for me at the moment. I've put 120k miles on it and still just want to drive it the long way everyday. It's never had any issues, always gets 30mpg no matter how hard I drive it. Stock it's rather soft, but still handles better than 90% of the other cars on the road. As soon as any sort of suspension work is done to it, it really wakes up. The way the NC responds to modifications is very unique and almost mind blowing. Stiffer spring rates, sway bars and some high temp brake fluid and there isn't much that will get away from you on a track or twisty road. I think the NCs are rated at just under 170hp, but I've never complained about the power. I can keep up with the S2000s with no prob. It's got more than enough to make me smile. With the way it's geared, it feels like a shifter cart...very short gearing on the 6spd manual.

The only things I haven't done to mine are FI and a 2.5 swap...waaaay to much to list. Since this is my daily, having a car I can depend on is more important than extra power. The 2.5 swap is $3k, gives you a solid 200whp and gobs more torque. That in conjunction with the new Rotrex SC (300+hp/$4700) or the TDR Turbo (400+hp and tq/$5500) and you've got a lot of car on your hands.

IMG_0599 by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr

Toms Turbine Drive by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr
Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's never had any issues, always gets 30mpg no matter how hard I drive it. Stock it's rather soft, but still handles better than 90% of the other cars on the road. As soon as any sort of suspension work is done to it, it really wakes up. The way the NC responds to modifications is very unique and almost mind blowing. Stiffer spring rates, sway bars and some high temp brake fluid and there isn't much that will get away from you on a track or twisty road. I think the NCs are rated at just under 170hp, but I've never complained about the power. I can keep up with the S2000s with no prob. It's got more than enough to make me smile. With the way it's geared, it feels like a shifter cart...very short gearing on the 6spd manual.

The best mpg I ever achieved w/ my NC was 29.9x mpg on a hwy road trip w/ the top up. I guarantee your car would get nowhere near 30 mpg if I was driving it!

I don't think many people here appreciate just how well matched a lightly modded NC is vs. the S2000.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Slightly off topic but I was the winning bid at an auction last Wednesday. Tomorrow I get to pick up a 1997 white 5-speed Miata and I couldn't be more excited! Winning bid was 900!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Dollars? That's a steal.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1410554496' post='23328722
[quote name='MarbleGT' timestamp='1410531243' post='23327984']
I'm not gripping about the car, just the long delay in readily available state side aftermarket gear.

There is still to this day nothing I'd rather be driving, and honestly, there is nothing on the market that does anything for me at the moment. I've put 120k miles on it and still just want to drive it the long way everyday. It's never had any issues, always gets 30mpg no matter how hard I drive it. Stock it's rather soft, but still handles better than 90% of the other cars on the road. As soon as any sort of suspension work is done to it, it really wakes up. The way the NC responds to modifications is very unique and almost mind blowing. Stiffer spring rates, sway bars and some high temp brake fluid and there isn't much that will get away from you on a track or twisty road. I think the NCs are rated at just under 170hp, but I've never complained about the power. I can keep up with the S2000s with no prob. It's got more than enough to make me smile. With the way it's geared, it feels like a shifter cart...very short gearing on the 6spd manual.

The only things I haven't done to mine are FI and a 2.5 swap...waaaay to much to list. Since this is my daily, having a car I can depend on is more important than extra power. The 2.5 swap is $3k, gives you a solid 200whp and gobs more torque. That in conjunction with the new Rotrex SC (300+hp/$4700) or the TDR Turbo (400+hp and tq/$5500) and you've got a lot of car on your hands.

IMG_0599 by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr

Toms Turbine Drive by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr
[/quote]

Sounds awesome. What engine is the 2.5?

Quick Reply: 2016 Mazda MX-5 (ND) to be unveiled Sep 3. 2014 at Laguna Seca