Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Honda CR-Z facelift goes to USA

Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robhoy
http://paultan.org/2015/11/03/2016-h...a-no-leds-17s/

Meh. It's never been the LOOKS people hated. The car didn't fail commercially because of its exterior design. I've actually always thought they were nice-looking cars, just unfortunately saddled with an awful powertrain. Why oh why can't they just put a K20 in it? It wouldn't be hard! Ugh.
Agreed 100%. A K20 6 speed CRZ would have sold like hot cakes.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

A K20 powered four seater, maybe, but I don't think any power train would have moved a two seater non-sports car.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
That car still exists? Huh.
These days that's my thoughts for just about all Hondas other than Accords and maybe SI's
Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 PM

A K20 powered four seater, maybe, but I don't think any power train would have moved a two seater non-sports car.
It would have been a nice alternative to the 500 Abarth, GTI and special Minis. Priced right it would have a been a hit as a relatively light weight, fun to drive runabout. Even with the hybrid drivetrain it's a 26-2700lbs car.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by robhoy
Cars who focus entirely on fiel efficiency are volatile to say the least
And the CRZ failed even as a hybrid. Gets only 2/3 the gas mileage of the Prius. I don't understand why Honda has let a failed design languish for so long
If you actually talk to owners (or go on the forums), you'll see that's not remotely true. It might be RATED at 2/3 the Prius' level but in real life, it gets a lot better than its ratings.

Check fuelly.com .
Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by robhoy' timestamp='1446682536' post='23795286
And the CRZ failed even as a hybrid. Gets only 2/3 the gas mileage of the Prius. I don't understand why Honda has let a failed design languish for so long
If you actually talk to owners (or go on the forums), you'll see that's not remotely true. It might be RATED at 2/3 the Prius' level but in real life, it gets a lot better than its ratings.

Check fuelly.com .

EPA Ratings

2014 Toyota Prius 51/48 50 combined
2014 Honda CR-Z 36/39 37 combined

Fuelly.com

2014 Toyota Prius 48.3 mpg
2014 Honda CR-Z 37.2 mpg

I am not seeing what you are seeing... To me it looks like the CR-Z get's about what it's rated for, and the Toyota is just under what it is rated for. Either way the CR-Z, a 2 seater gets significantly worse gas mileage (20-25%) than the Prius, a 5 seater.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1446741431' post='23795899
[quote name='robhoy' timestamp='1446682536' post='23795286']

Check fuelly.com .

EPA Ratings

2014 Toyota Prius 51/48 50 combined
2014 Honda CR-Z 36/39 37 combined

Fuelly.com

2014 Toyota Prius 48.3 mpg
2014 Honda CR-Z 37.2 mpg

I am not seeing what you are seeing... To me it looks like the CR-Z get's about what it's rated for, and the Toyota is just under what it is rated for. Either way the CR-Z, a 2 seater gets significantly worse gas mileage (20-25%) than the Prius, a 5 seater.
[/quote]

The crz was never designed to compete w the prius instead it's designed to be a fun to drive sporty hybrid. A two seater hybrid won't come anywhere close to other hybrids as far as total units go but go drive a prius or civic hybrid then the crz in sport mode and you'll understand. I could care less if the crz is around or not but it was never meant to be a mpg monster ever.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
The crz was never designed to compete w the prius instead it's designed to be a fun to drive sporty hybrid. A two seater hybrid won't come anywhere close to other hybrids as far as total units go but go drive a prius or civic hybrid then the crz in sport mode and you'll understand. I could care less if the crz is around or not but it was never meant to be a mpg monster ever.
I agree with you, that it was never intended to be an "MPG monster" but it does make you question the decision to make it a hybrid. The hybrid system adds weight and complexity, the opposite goal of a sports coupe. It's still fairly lightweight, but so is a Honda Fit, it's under-powered, no question, 130hp over 2600-2700 lbs. I am sure they are fun to drive, a friend of mine tracks his regularly and seems to enjoy it immensely but in a world where the 200hp FR-S is considered slow, the CR-Z is pathetic. The fact that it gets sub-par mileage for a car of that weight/power is insult to injury.

They could make an Epic type R coupe out of it but they won't, they would rather throw money at another hybrid wonder.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
I agree with you, that it was never intended to be an "MPG monster" but it does make you question the decision to make it a hybrid.

They could make an Epic type R coupe out of it but they won't, they would rather throw money at another hybrid wonder.
Honda's hybrid strategy in general makes no sense until you dissect it like a frog in Junior High Science. . .

In Japan, Hybrids are marketed and sold for their technology. Also, the rest of the (modern 1st world) universe taxes/rebates their cars based on CO/CO2/particulate emissions, not MPG. To that end, the CRZ probably does well enough.

In the U.S., we have CARB and CAFE. . . and the numbers are usually dictated by the emissions/MPG of the fleet, not the car. Throw in a CRZ, an Accord Hybrid, Civic Hybrid and a Civic NGX*, and you can sell as many Odysseys, Pilots, Type Rs and Acuras as you'd like. . .

I for one am as happy as a pig in shit they got rid of the rear spoiler. Obstructed my visibility, so I never bought one to downsize myself out of the Element.**

*So, secretly, the NGX is about China, Brazil, and some other markets than it is in the U.S., but if you want HOV access here (in CA) like an electric, it's a clutch play.
**In the long run, I'm glad I didn't get rid of the Element, but at the time, I had the cash to save on my expenses down the line. . .
Old 11-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dear Honda,

Please grow some balls and put a decent motor into this thing. Or just pull the plug entirely on it.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda CR-Z facelift goes to USA