Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR

Old 08-26-2014, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by SpoonTunage' timestamp='1409021946' post='23301811
Well I have already decided on the evo at this point. I am going with a 2014 gsr. Now my question is about pricing. I got about 1k off msrp, but they werent really budging much more then that. The price with sight and sound package was about 38k and I was able to get down to 37k. Some people were saying I should try and get 3-5k off msrp, which I do not think is realistic, but thats why I am here. Also will dealers waive any other fees I should know about? Like TTL or anything. Any input would be really appreciated. Also the car needed to be ordered from somewhere else and has approx 12 miles on it. I had to put a refundable deposit down on the car so the dealership would bring the car there and I go back Wed to hopefully finalize everything. I told him we had a deal at 37k but now the more I am thinking about it, I think I should try and get more off. What do you guys think?
I think you can do better. For sure. Where are you located, though?
I am in the Philly/Jersey Area on the east coast.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='[url="tel:1409013578"
1409013578[/url]' post='23301679]
I immensely enjoyed my '08 STi as well. As a road car I liked it much more than the EVO. I drove both before buying.Also boxer > inline 4. More character.
There is no right answer, it's all preference. Pure track car, yes I'd take a GSR. I use the car for much more than the track. The track isn't even 10% of my use.
Can't wait for Subaru to do another hatch.
You test drove a stock evo over a stock sti. Problem one. Both cars are Fairley equal in stock form. It's after a few bolt ons that the Evo starts pulling the bus lengths on the sti. I think that is the main point when comparing both cars.
For you maybe. Please don't speak for others.
I preferred the boxer 4 as I don't like traditional inline engines. I also took a ride in a stage 2 STi with a Subaru mechanic. After that it was a done deal. 300/350 to the wheels was enough for me.
I don't race. Even at trackdays you don't win money, don't go home with umbrella girls, and don't get to go to parc ferme so the rest of that is nonsense to me just like most of your posts.
Then there is this:
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/5-car-b...020708256.html
Check out #1
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM

The guy above said he doesn't like traditional inline engines lol.

You people post some of the most ridiculous BS.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a 2008 STI and would prefer to own the Evo. I prefer an inline-4 to the flat-4 and the Evo just gives better performance for the dollar when you start dumping money into it. I chose the STI because it had a hatch (I had no truck back then) and because it was 2008 fire-sale pricing. I don't regret it, and the STI has been great to me, but if I wasn't so far into it in terms of modification I would dump it for an Evo (or dump it and save the money toward a GTR).

450+whp in either car will be fun. It certainly works in mine. I think the sweet spot for the Subaru (and probably the Evo as well) is the "stage 2" setup with an E85 tune. Do the cheap/easy bolt-ons and be happy with what you get. If you want to go faster you will spend a lot of money, and personally, in hindsight, I would recommend saving up for a different car with larger displacement (not a lot of options as you know- and most are significantly more expensive- Audi, GTR, etc).
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle
The guy above said he doesn't like traditional inline engines lol.

You people post some of the most ridiculous BS.
Negative ghost rider.

I don't like the feel or the noise that motor makes, period. I prefer a Vee or a horizontal 4. We all have our preferences.

And traditional inline means just that. I own a bike that is an inline 4, one head, but has a crossplane crankshaft so it fires exactly like a V4. Feels like one, sounds like one. Due to the crankshaft layout it isn't a 'traditional' inline 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCg3PqoNnxI
Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, managed to read through the wall of text, and here are my thoughts.

I've had two 08 STis. The first one had about 35k mileage. I sold it because I missed my s2000. Great car though, I ran open downpipe on it

The second STi had about 80k mileage. I immediately put an off the shelf (OTS) Cobb tune on it with Intake. Best decision ever! Car sounded amazing and relieved the paranoia of a lean stock tune.

On this particular forum, you will hear every possible "omg what if" scenario, mainly the ringland failures and lean tune. In fact, any car you think about buying there will be forum people claiming some massive issue that you'll run into that is only a minute percentage chance of happening in the whole scheme of things. (996 all will get IMS/RMS failures, RX7s blow gaskets, Corvettes have wet sumps/leaf springs, BMWs/Audis have electrical problems, yada yada). So what I'm trying to get is do not let this forum scare you.

As far as getting an EVO instead. I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Now that I've owned two STis, I am more likely to just go try out an EVO next, not because I didn't like the STi.

For you personally I would recommend the EVO since you already claimed that you liked it more. Don't let other people scare you into the STi and vice versa, they're both great cars for different reasons.

Good luck and post pics when you do get the car.

*edit* forgot to mention all the cool noises the tranny/diff make in the STi. And I had tons of fun changing the diff to a rear bias when it rains for drifting fun.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Ok, managed to read through the wall of text, and here are my thoughts.

I've had two 08 STis. The first one had about 35k mileage. I sold it because I missed my s2000. Great car though, I ran open downpipe on it

The second STi had about 80k mileage. I immediately put an off the shelf (OTS) Cobb tune on it with Intake. Best decision ever! Car sounded amazing and relieved the paranoia of a lean stock tune.

On this particular forum, you will hear every possible "omg what if" scenario, mainly the ringland failures and lean tune. In fact, any car you think about buying there will be forum people claiming some massive issue that you'll run into that is only a minute percentage chance of happening in the whole scheme of things. (996 all will get IMS/RMS failures, RX7s blow gaskets, Corvettes have wet sumps/leaf springs, BMWs/Audis have electrical problems, yada yada). So what I'm trying to get is do not let this forum scare you.

As far as getting an EVO instead. I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Now that I've owned two STis, I am more likely to just go try out an EVO next, not because I didn't like the STi.

For you personally I would recommend the EVO since you already claimed that you liked it more. Don't let other people scare you into the STi and vice versa, they're both great cars for different reasons.

Good luck and post pics when you do get the car.

*edit* forgot to mention all the cool noises the tranny/diff make in the STi. And I had tons of fun changing the diff to a rear bias when it rains for drifting fun.
Ya for sure man. I am going in tomorrow to hopefully finalize all the numbers and take it home. They had to pick it up from north jersey/ny area and got it in today. after the drive back they said it had about 100 miles on it, mostly from the drive back from picking it up. I am sure both cars are great cars and every car will have their own problems, but for me as far as driving both I really enjoyed the evo much more which was unexpected. I will definitely post some picks of it once I actually get it and need to move my s2000 to another garage now which sucks (only have a 1 car garage), but I will still have it. It would take alot for me to get rid of my cr and I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Also I appreciate all the insight on here from everyone, most of it was a lot of help. Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase (or soon to be purchase). Looking forward to the pictures of your new ride, the Evolution is no doubt a great car, and hopefully one you will get lots of enjoyment out of for years to come!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 PM

Here are some pics

Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats. Great looking evo and really nice color! Had any time behind wheel since you've bought it?

Quick Reply: 2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR