Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR

Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Originally Posted by asrautox' timestamp='1408815685' post='23298949
I'd like to hear some reasons behind why some are saying the WRX is a better daily? I daily my EVO and it's great. Even with a full turboback, it's still quiet enough to have a conversation. The ride is comfortable and the road/wind noise is leaps and bounds better than the WRX tin can I had (can't speak for the 2015 though). Yes it has a small trunk (weight distribution FTW) and it could use an extra gear for the highway, but that's about all I can think of that would make it any better.
If cost isn't a factor, then I suppose it would be up for debate.

But,
Price: Can be had for $10,000 cheaper than the EVO.

Insurance: Cheaper as well.

Gas Mileage: 2015 WRX gets more mpg's.

Cost of Ownership is going to be less.

In the same sense, a base Impreza or Lancer would be a better daily driver, but many of us here like to retain "some" level of performance, and I think that is where the WRX comes in. It is much closer in performance to the STI and EVO than the base Impreza, the base impreza is a complete and utter slouch.

--While the WRX isn't as fun to drive nor as fast as the EVO, it still offers a fair amount of performance and fun in the price range.
What he said, but i think some are referring to past years WRX's. The 15 chassis is significantly revised. Watch the youtube reviews of it from reputable sources.

Also the rear seats are flat folding, severely advantageous for a DD for cargo. I don't think the EVO rear seats even fold down and even if they did you've got wiper fluid, a battery, or whateverthefeck is back there.

I've seen guys getting 30+ on highway trips. Better than rated. Most are averaging high 20's when used as a daily. They've also beefened some things up. It is just a much superior car than past WRX's. Now if they'll just get off their collective butts and give the STi a proper motor they'll have it down.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are an S2000 guy, then the EVO is the one you take out of these two. I know a lot of guys here claim they are "subaru" guys - but no, they are EVO guys in denial.

The Evo is also the better car, FWIW. In nearly every god damn category but maybe sound. Interior fit and finish on the New STI is also probably better, but that's not enough to change any ones mind who isn't batshit set on buying an inferior car.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the interior complaints or capability as a daily driver. Do you people lick your dashboards every time you get in? Who gives a damn about the $3 difference in interior budgets between the cars. Both interiors blow and are embarrassing for $35K+ cars. If you like cars and driving them the only thing that matters inside is the steering/wheel, seat and shifter and in all 3 categories an Evo blows the Subaru out the water.

As for being a better "daily driver." They both have wheels/doors and get you from point A to B every day. So? If you wanna bump Pac/Biggie don't buy an Evo because your hood lyfe Subwoofer box will encompass the entire trunk.

What people who haven't driven both don't realize is the tangible difference in feel between the 2 cars. The the edge in refinement of the Subaru takes away from it having any character at all, it drives like a regular Japanese compact with some power. If you drive an Evo it's literally a 4 door go cart that explodes above 3.5K RPM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
If you are an S2000 guy, then the EVO is the one you take out of these two. I know a lot of guys here claim they are "subaru" guys - but no, they are EVO guys in denial.

The Evo is also the better car, FWIW. In nearly every god damn category but maybe sound. Interior fit and finish on the New STI is also probably better, but that's not enough to change any ones mind who isn't batshit set on buying an inferior car.
Well one can argue, if you are an S2000 guy you'd prefer the STI since it has less electronic gadgetry as an aide. I enjoyed the hell out of my 05 STI. Also YamahaSho was in the same boat as me, i believe he daily drives and races his 05 STI, maybe he will chime in. Subaru definitely has better trunk space. Evo is non existent, its smaller than your S2K trunk.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I immensely enjoyed my '08 STi as well. As a road car I liked it much more than the EVO. I drove both before buying.Also boxer > inline 4. More character.
There is no right answer, it's all preference. Pure track car, yes I'd take a GSR. I use the car for much more than the track. The track isn't even 10% of my use.
Can't wait for Subaru to do another hatch.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I immensely enjoyed my '08 STi as well. As a road car I liked it much more than the EVO. I drove both before buying.Also boxer > inline 4. More character.
There is no right answer, it's all preference. Pure track car, yes I'd take a GSR. I use the car for much more than the track. The track isn't even 10% of my use.
Can't wait for Subaru to do another hatch.
You test drove a stock evo over a stock sti. Problem one. Both cars are Fairley equal in stock form. It's after a few bolt ons that the Evo starts pulling the bus lengths on the sti. I think that is the main point when comparing both cars.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1408936363' post='23300156

Well one can argue, if you are an S2000 guy you'd prefer the STI since it has less electronic gadgetry as an aide. I enjoyed the hell out of my 05 STI. Also YamahaSho was in the same boat as me, i believe he daily drives and races his 05 STI, maybe he will chime in. Subaru definitely has better trunk space. Evo is non existent, its smaller than your S2K trunk.
I'm a former 04 STI owner as well. As a daily its a great car. As a sports car (which is how I am rating these two cars) it bored me in about 2 months. There's nothing really to argue here. You're inclined to disagree and I respect that, but the EVO is the better drivers car. Electronic gadgetry or not, it just FEELS better.

Worst on track experience ever was a bone stock STI for me. I wanted to get out half way through the warm up lap. The car oozed of boring. A damn shame. I am sure a set up car could be fun and exciting, but a bone stock evo is far more fun. It's not even a comparison in my mind. And I really want to claim the STI is better, believe me - but I just can't. SHO may be able to shed more light, my experience is mostly limited to stock v stock.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have already decided on the evo at this point. I am going with a 2014 gsr. Now my question is about pricing. I got about 1k off msrp, but they werent really budging much more then that. The price with sight and sound package was about 38k and I was able to get down to 37k. Some people were saying I should try and get 3-5k off msrp, which I do not think is realistic, but thats why I am here. Also will dealers waive any other fees I should know about? Like TTL or anything. Any input would be really appreciated. Also the car needed to be ordered from somewhere else and has approx 12 miles on it. I had to put a refundable deposit down on the car so the dealership would bring the car there and I go back Wed to hopefully finalize everything. I told him we had a deal at 37k but now the more I am thinking about it, I think I should try and get more off. What do you guys think?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpoonTunage
Well I have already decided on the evo at this point. I am going with a 2014 gsr. Now my question is about pricing. I got about 1k off msrp, but they werent really budging much more then that. The price with sight and sound package was about 38k and I was able to get down to 37k. Some people were saying I should try and get 3-5k off msrp, which I do not think is realistic, but thats why I am here. Also will dealers waive any other fees I should know about? Like TTL or anything. Any input would be really appreciated. Also the car needed to be ordered from somewhere else and has approx 12 miles on it. I had to put a refundable deposit down on the car so the dealership would bring the car there and I go back Wed to hopefully finalize everything. I told him we had a deal at 37k but now the more I am thinking about it, I think I should try and get more off. What do you guys think?
I think you can do better. For sure. Where are you located, though?

Quick Reply: 2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR