Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR

Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a 13 WRX and 14 EVO, the WRX is by far the better daily in my opinion. But you can't go wrong either way. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmoore9700
We have a 13 WRX and 14 EVO, the WRX is by far the better daily in my opinion. But you can't go wrong either way. Good luck in your search.
Well from what I hear the sti's may have a few problems so if I go that route it seems that getting a wrx may be better. But, with that being said I did test drive the 2015 wrx and 2014 gsr, and I liked the gsr by far. So right now I am still leaning that way, but that may change, who knows.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoonTunage
Originally Posted by mmoore9700' timestamp='1408739898' post='23298230
Well from what I hear the sti's may have a few problems so if I go that route it seems that getting a wrx may be better. But, with that being said I did test drive the 2015 wrx and 2014 gsr, and I liked the gsr by far. So right now I am still leaning that way, but that may change, who knows.
Are they offering good deals on the EVOs? Otherwise, bit of a price gap between the two.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM

well I mean the price gap is not really the issue at this time. I was originally looking at the sti and evo which were in the similar price ranger, but from what I hear about the new sti's it seems either getting the evo or wrx is going to be the route to go.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoonTunage
well I mean the price gap is not really the issue at this time. I was originally looking at the sti and evo which were in the similar price ranger, but from what I hear about the new sti's it seems either getting the evo or wrx is going to be the route to go.
Dead on dude, you know the two choices from which to make your decision. I read above the DI motor not being tested and that is slightly incorrect. They've had that motor in the FXT. The 15 WRX & STI have been on the roads equal amount of time and the STi, with its EJ, is the one out of the two with motor problems. I haven't seen the same on the WRX's DI engine at all. I'd be comfortable buying a first year WRX. I'd skip the STI altogether because of the dinosaur still powering it.

These cars I follow closely. There was a little time back, probably early last year in '13 that I saw new EVO's going for killer prices. 5spd's for $28-29k brand new. Fly to drive it back or ship it, either way, awesome price for what you are getting. I still don't like the MPG of it however, nor the crap they shoved in the trunk taking up room. The WRX at 25k and some change would be a killer deal on a killer DD. It's a better daily driver than the EVO. If they had made a 5dr I would have bought one. Cobb already is bringing stuff online for it. I'd take the EVO over the WRX for a track car.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like to hear some reasons behind why some are saying the WRX is a better daily? I daily my EVO and it's great. Even with a full turboback, it's still quiet enough to have a conversation. The ride is comfortable and the road/wind noise is leaps and bounds better than the WRX tin can I had (can't speak for the 2015 though). Yes it has a small trunk (weight distribution FTW) and it could use an extra gear for the highway, but that's about all I can think of that would make it any better.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asrautox
I'd like to hear some reasons behind why some are saying the WRX is a better daily? I daily my EVO and it's great. Even with a full turboback, it's still quiet enough to have a conversation. The ride is comfortable and the road/wind noise is leaps and bounds better than the WRX tin can I had (can't speak for the 2015 though). Yes it has a small trunk (weight distribution FTW) and it could use an extra gear for the highway, but that's about all I can think of that would make it any better.
If cost isn't a factor, then I suppose it would be up for debate.

But,
Price: Can be had for $10,000 cheaper than the EVO.

Insurance: Cheaper as well.

Gas Mileage: 2015 WRX gets more mpg's.

Cost of Ownership is going to be less.

In the same sense, a base Impreza or Lancer would be a better daily driver, but many of us here like to retain "some" level of performance, and I think that is where the WRX comes in. It is much closer in performance to the STI and EVO than the base Impreza, the base impreza is a complete and utter slouch.

--While the WRX isn't as fun to drive nor as fast as the EVO, it still offers a fair amount of performance and fun in the price range.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Originally Posted by SpoonTunage' timestamp='1408752441' post='23298436
Dead on dude, you know the two choices from which to make your decision. I read above the DI motor not being tested and that is slightly incorrect. They've had that motor in the FXT. The 15 WRX & STI have been on the roads equal amount of time and the STi, with its EJ, is the one out of the two with motor problems. I haven't seen the same on the WRX's DI engine at all. I'd be comfortable buying a first year WRX. I'd skip the STI altogether because of the dinosaur still powering it.

These cars I follow closely. There was a little time back, probably early last year in '13 that I saw new EVO's going for killer prices. 5spd's for $28-29k brand new. Fly to drive it back or ship it, either way, awesome price for what you are getting. I still don't like the MPG of it however, nor the crap they shoved in the trunk taking up room. The WRX at 25k and some change would be a killer deal on a killer DD. It's a better daily driver than the EVO. If they had made a 5dr I would have bought one. Cobb already is bringing stuff online for it. I'd take the EVO over the WRX for a track car.
Isn't the new WRX engine based on the BRZ w/ a turbo added? The Toyobaru twins' engines have had plenty of problems when tracked. I'd be comfortable buying a new WRX, but not for track use.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1408758005' post='23298520
[quote name='SpoonTunage' timestamp='1408752441' post='23298436']

Isn't the new WRX engine based on the BRZ w/ a turbo added? The Toyobaru twins' engines have had plenty of problems when tracked. I'd be comfortable buying a new WRX, but not for track use.
[/quote]

It's a little more than just a BRZ motor with a turbo added, it was updated quite a bit for the Forester 2.0xt, then they took that version and updated it even more for the WRX. It also uses a Subaru engineered direct injection system instead of Toyota's.

I too would most likely pick the wrx. It would be very hard for me to spend $35,000 and still have either of those interiors, ESPECIALLY a lancer interior. Yuck. But if I absolutely had to pick between STi or EVO, I'd pick the EVO, primarily for the awd system. Active yaw control is an amazing thing, and I'm somewhat surprised STi's still don't have it. Yes DCCD gives the driver more options, but I've always felt S-AYC is a more competent system out of the box, no knob fiddling necessary
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM

A lot of awesome information and insight. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Still researching a lot and reading threads and other sources, while trying to make the final decision. It is nice too, since I already have other vehicles so I am not rushing into anything which will help in the end as well.

Quick Reply: 2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR