Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Mustang (new s550 platform) getting 4 cylinder turbo motor model

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jwocky
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1363047290' post='22397138
[quote name='jwocky' timestamp='1363035774' post='22396620']
Via Mustang6G

2015 Mustang is now confirmed to be getting a turbo 4 cylinder model, good for up to 300HP possibly.

- The 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine.
- The engine is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.
- Engine output is likely to rise from 252 horsepower to 300 hp in 2.3-liter form, according to company insiders.
Only question now is whether it will be a European-only model or also for the US (and rest of the world).

There's conflicting reports:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563 (Europe-only report)
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565 (US also)
Interesting but, in the current overly large incarnation of the Mustang chassis, how much weight could they save with a 2.3L turbo 4? The Boss weighs 3,632 lbs according to Autoguide. The Coyote V8 is only about 430 lbs. Could an engine swap save more than 100 lbs? Smaller tires, wheels, and brakes, another 50 lbs? Weight distribution would be better. But I can't believe a 4% weight reduction would make much difference in handling or feel.
I'm not sure they are putting in the 4 cyl to save weight, rather than to be able to sell more Mustangs in Europe where V6 and V8 models are expensive due to their engine size.
[/quote]

If that was the case wouldn't they use the 2.0L turbo engine then? I believe most European countries start taxing engine displacement above 2.0 liters.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something I want to be excited about. Mustang has a huge aftermarket following, and bringing in a turbo to that market can open a lot of doors. With lighter weight and IRS, the Mustang can be a fun car, and add in a 4-cyl that you can string out while you drive around town can be fun.

But it would have to avoid the base Mustang feel of a V6 in a V8 body. There are already other cars on the market built around a 300hp engine, here are a couple examples:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
$25k
274 turbo-4
21/24 mpg
3400 lbs
OR
350hp v6 for $28k

Nissan 370Z
$33k
330 hp V6
19/26 mpg
3300 lbs

and for reference:
Current Mustang V6
$22k
305 hp V6
19/31 mpg
3500 lbs?

So what does the Ecoboost 4-cylinder Mustang have to do to win sales? What does it have to do to be fun?

To win sales:
It can beat out the above competition in terms of price/power/mpg. But I don't think it would pull in many new buyers over the V6 'stang.

To be fun:
My picture of fun would be a 300hp version of the Scion FRS. That's not possible when it is bound by a chassis built around a V8. That being said, if it is indeed somewhat lightweight and has suspension that pleases the Europeans, it could be an inexpensive fun turbo RWD car.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Here's hoping it comes with an IRS with no weight gain. It's already the lightest muscle car, and in the realm of the M3, so if it can add IRS and no weight gain, oh man with a V8, sounds like may need to start rolling up the pennies. Good thing though is that it cant take that much of a price hike considering its competition, so 30k for a 430hp rwd irs coupe, hmmmm.
Hope your wish for a IRS with no weight gain comes true. It'll need that with all the extra technology it'll have over the current Mustang.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1363064777' post='22397639
Here's hoping it comes with an IRS with no weight gain.
The idea that IRS adds a lot of weight is a bit of a myth, fuelled by the IRS Mustang Cobra's +150 lb. weight gain. But most if not all of that additional weight was due to making a "bolt-in" IRS setup for a car designed around a live-axle, with massive cradle/subframe to beam the loads from the IRS suspension hard points out to where the solid axle hard points were on the car.

The myth was reinforced mightily with the gigantic and massive 5th-gen Camaro coming in at 3800+ lb. vs. ~3400 for the 4th-gen live-axle car.

A car designed from the get-go for IRS will not be that much heavier vs. a car specifically designed to be live-axle. We're talking tens of pounds difference, not 150-400 lb.

The 2015 is *supposed* to be lighter-weight than the current 3600+ pig. We shall see...
I agree with you and logic is on your side, but the trend seems to be more weight. I did read that they are trying to reduce weight for mpg and performance, and looking at the current stang the car is inflated. My other wish is that they dobt design it aroubd 20" rims like the camaro ss, that alone should keep the weight down. Design it with 18s with the ability of folks to cram in 20s.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Spy shots of 2015 Mustang testing:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/10/2...on-the-street/

Hard to say for sure but I think it looks physically smaller. It will be a more modern look, interesting glimpse at the narrow headlights. Spyshot camoflauge is often square-ish, but the nose looks like it will likely be pretty flat to please the Europeans.

Update says sources say V6 and V8 will remain the same except for the Ecoboost in Europe.

I think it's just what everyone was hoping for if it is small with IRS and its trusted 5.0 V8.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Doesn't look smaller to me. The front end looks particularly bricktacularly MASSIVE.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I still have high hopes for this car. I like the look of the current 5.0 but the overall size/weight (and horrible interior) throw me off completely. I just can't force myself to buy one. If they could get this down to 3300 lbs with the 5.0L V8 and IRS, it'd be pretty tempting to me, especially since the interior should take a massive step forward (as have the rest of their recent designs).

I just don't see myself buying a 3500-3600 lb Mustang, though. They really need to cut the weight and make it a smaller car in every way (motor excepted).
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Photo looks promising, the front end camo looks like it's bloating the front end to hide what's underneath.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNCT4AvzMc

Here's a 9 second 2.3L 4 cyl mustang.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I still have high hopes for this car. I like the look of the current 5.0 but the overall size/weight (and horrible interior) throw me off completely. I just can't force myself to buy one. If they could get this down to 3300 lbs with the 5.0L V8 and IRS, it'd be pretty tempting to me, especially since the interior should take a massive step forward (as have the rest of their recent designs).

I just don't see myself buying a 3500-3600 lb Mustang, though. They really need to cut the weight and make it a smaller car in every way (motor excepted).
I'm with you that I'd definitely prefer it get substantially lighter, but realistically I don't see it happening nor do I feel that it's absolutely necessary. I mean yeah, I'd love for them to get it down to genesis coupe weight or lighter, but if they keep it around m3 weight levels (which it's already in the ballpark for now) then I'd be ok with it. Ford has demonstrated with the current stang that they can make a chassis and make a car handle, now with a smaller lighter platform with IRS, the car just keeps getting better. I think for the interior, they don't necessarily have to make it with better quality, imo the quality is there and fine for its segment (until you get to the shelby price levels) but I think it defintely needs to be styled better to make it look less chinzy. Take the fusion, quality wise it isn't necessarily better than its predecessor, but the styling and layout makes it looks worlds better imo.
Since they are planning to go international with this car, they won't be tempted to dumb it down for what they think americans want, so should be great. I'm all for heritage styling, but the flat out retro mindset needs to go.

In other sorta related news, the camaro is being retooled with the ATS platform which has been accepted warmly, and also the rumors of the smaller hemi cuda. Should be an interesting few years.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang (new s550 platform) getting 4 cylinder turbo motor model