Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Civic Type R prototype spotted in the U.S.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1425481691' post='23527188
If that's the case, how is a 300 hp FWD car hanging with a high-performance 375 hp Porsche and barely behind a 505 hp Corvette? It's down on power to both of them, yet faster than the 997 GT3 and nearly as fast as a C6 Z06. It's down on power, which means it's LOSING in the straights, which implies it's doing better in the corners. It has to be making up time in corners, which supports my claim, not yours, that it'll be beating most cars we drive around a track.
Do we know what kind/size rubber the Civic R is sporting and its curb weight? I'm guessing that will tell a good part of the picture
235 section width on 19" tires. I'd assume they'll use an extreme performance summer rubber that every other top-end sports car uses.

Power to weight ratio plays a BIG part in how fast a car is.
Not at speeds over 60 mph. At track speeds, aerodynamics are way more important as aero drag is the main component of resistance to forward acceleration.

RWD/AWD doesn't affect lap times THAT much, especially on higher speed tracks. You can setup a FWD car to be neutral and handle well. On top of that, good aero helps a lot as well (the s2k is severely lacking in this dept). I think it's impressive that it's very fast around the Ring, but it's only part of the picture. FWD also has the distinct advantage of less drivetrain loss and lower weight (an advantage on a high speed track).
Agreed, in general. That's my point, though - you can set up a FWD car to be neutral and handle well. FWD isn't nearly as limited now as it used to be.

We're getting to a point with cars where metrics (lap times, 0-60, 1/4 mile) only tell part of the picture. People laud the GTR as being a superior machine to say the new Vette, but I'd say they're too different to compare. One is a RWD vehicle, and another is AWD with computer controlled torque distribution and who knows what else, not to mention a DCT vs a true manual. Not that the GTR isn't an amazing machine, just isn't my cup of tea. It's like someone saying the new Civic R is better than XYZ because it turned a faster lap at the Ring.. apples to oranges.
I'm not saying it's better (subjective) - I merely said it was faster (objective).

When a 306 hp car is as fast or faster than cars with 500+ hp, you know that it's doing something in the corners to make up the time, which bodes well for those that want a good-handling, capable car. Regardless of the fact it's FWD, they have to recognize that this car appears to be a massive step up in the FWD hot hatch arena and that it can probably humble some pretty serious sportscars on a track.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
235 section width on 19" tires. I'd assume they'll use an extreme performance summer rubber that every other top-end sports car uses.
I guessed it'd be somewhere around there too. 235's all around is no slouch.

Agreed, in general. That's my point, though - you can set up a FWD car to be neutral and handle well. FWD isn't nearly as limited now as it used to be.
I would argue FWD was never really limited. The original Integra R came with 195's all around, and much less stickier rubber at that.

When a 306 hp car is as fast or faster than cars with 500+ hp, you know that it's doing something in the corners to make up the time, which bodes well for those that want a good-handling, capable car. Regardless of the fact it's FWD, they have to recognize that this car appears to be a massive step up in the FWD hot hatch arena and that it can probably humble some pretty serious sportscars on a track.
If there's anything I've learned, it's that "handling" is completely subjective. FWD hondas have been made to "handle" well for as long as I can remember, thanks in large part to their reasonable weight, good hydro steering racks, and good suspension design. I don't think the new Civic R is unique in this regard. Honda just put more thought/time into the aero, put some wider rubber on, and finally put a powerful engine in the car. I'm sure there are plenty of force fed swapped civic hb's lapping vette's and other cars at tracks. They just finally packaged that all up from the factory.

I guess to some folks they view this as a big step up, and perhaps it is, I just personally have little desire for a performance oriented FWD platform.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:02 AM

I agree - not interested in this car - but I respect it (hugely) for what it's capable of doing. I'd just rather spin the back tires than the fronts.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

SlowTeg gets my argument. But considering your last reply to me agreed one with one of my points, and straight out ignored my other one, I'm gonna assume you haven't.

Which is fine, I just don't know why you blindly defend everything Honda makes. For this car, just please explain to me how it being FWD is better than if it were AWD (Not including fuel efficiency). Sure I respect the performance, but it's still like having the coolest 2 speed bike after everyone else moved up to an 18 speed.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
SlowTeg gets my argument. But considering your last reply to me agreed one with one of my points, and straight out ignored my other one, I'm gonna assume you haven't.

Which is fine, I just don't know why you blindly defend everything Honda makes. For this car, just please explain to me how it being FWD is better than if it were AWD (Not including fuel efficiency). Sure I respect the performance, but it's still like having the coolest 2 speed bike after everyone else moved up to an 18 speed.
To reiterate your point another way for Jonboy. The FWD platform is first and foremost an economy platform. Period. Thus, making a supercar caliber FWD car is impressive from strictly a numbers and engineering standpoint, it's not from a real world/practical standpoint. Can it work for some people and perform very well? Sure. From a pure performance standpoint however, it has no real world advantages worth mentioning (besides economy).

Edit: I think Jonboy understands this.. he's obviously a smart guy. Just toting the company line a bit..
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1425490684' post='23527412

To reiterate your point another way for Jonboy. The FWD platform is first and foremost an economy platform. Period. Thus, making a supercar caliber FWD car is impressive from strictly a numbers and engineering standpoint, it's not from a real world/practical standpoint. Can it work for some people and perform very well? Sure. From a pure performance standpoint however, it has no real world advantages worth mentioning (besides economy).

Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1425490684' post='23527412

Tell that to Nissan's latest racecar...

That said, the Civic Type R is not a bespoke performance vehicle - it's built on the humble FWD Civic platform. Could they add AWD? Maybe - I have no idea if the chassis allows for it or not - but it's basis is not an AWD vehicle nor was the Civic initially designed for AWD. The cost to add may have made the project infeasible.

FWD has a number of advantages, in this case:

1. Less weight - more parts = more weight
2. Less complexity - more parts, more tuning, more electronics with AWD
3. Better fuel economy (sorry - you can't say "Don't say something that helps your argument")
4. Improved reliability - less things to go wrong
5. Better efficiency - more power to the wheels rather than being sapped by AWD components
6. Less cost - less components than an AWD system and lower maintenance costs as well
7. Potentially allows them to put money into other areas, like the adaptive suspension and improved aerodynamics

Would AWD be cool? Sure! Would I prefer it? Probably. But the point is, they're destroying AWD competitors in track performance anyways so unless I'm launching my car all the time (good luck doing that reliably in an AWD vehicle), I don't really care about 0-60 times. Sure, you can't get a 0-60 of 4.5s like a WRX STi...but you also don't have a crappy interior, poor reliability and a car that is significantly SLOWER around a track. On the street, most "racing" is going to be from a roll and the Civic will do just fine in that area.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concept looks so much better.

So aside from the lights, what has changed? Well, the production car loses the concept’s cool blade-like LED daytime-running lights and the headlight cluster is also a lot more conventional looking; the LED blades are replaced with old-school projector lamps.

24 comparison pictures from different angles

Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...s-from-europe/

306 hp (told ya so, rob-2)
295 ft-lbs
0-62 in 5.7s
167 mph top speed
6MT only - no dual-clutch gearbox
Flat underbody
Brembos (13.7") standard on the front - bigger diameter than a C7 Z51
Adaptive suspension standard
I guess I'm not that impressed by the figures. Sub has done this for years. Big brakes won't make up for the ugly + FWD.

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1425416734' post='23526274
This is the crux of my argument. Honda reached the performance peak of FWD long ago. Really no point to purse this further.
If that is true, why are they now the FASTEST FWD car on the 'Ring? And why are they faster than elite sportscars from just a few years ago? Technology is changing everything, including FWD capabilities. This car makes an Integra Type R look like a Conestoga...

You're just making stuff up to justify why you don't want to buy FWD. Speed isn't the reason. It's because you don't want the stigma of FWD, which is fine. But it doesn't change the fact that this car can destroy much more powerful RWD cars on a track and has more performance than you or I could probably master at a cost we could all reasonably afford.
How does this compare to the Dodge Neon SRT4 on Ring times?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 PM

SRT4 never rang the 'Ring - no comparison times. Cobalt SS did, though - 8:22.85 - but it was the slower supercharged version. The turbo version was quicker in virtually every way.

No Subaru (stock) ever ran the 'Ring in 7:50. In 2011, a prototype STi with an engine swap, bastardized suspension, full undertray, some other aero (it was getting out of control on some high-speed corners) and a bigger turbo ran a 7:55. So, I'm glad "Subaru has done it for years" except they really haven't. They make AWD cars that are heavier, more complex, handle fairly poorly and have crappy interiors. Okay, so they have Brembos. 300hp and 6MT (on the STi) but that's about the only similarity. They'll obviously be quicker off the line but I bet from a roll, the Civic will win.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ing-lap-record

Quick Reply: 2015 Civic Type R prototype spotted in the U.S.