Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Civic Type R prototype spotted in the U.S.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome. I doubt it will be here in the US any time soon, so all the people whining and crying about the style won't be seeing it in person and can calm down.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
This is the crux of my argument. Honda reached the performance peak of FWD long ago. Really no point to purse this further.
If that is true, why are they now the FASTEST FWD car on the 'Ring? And why are they faster than elite sportscars from just a few years ago? Technology is changing everything, including FWD capabilities. This car makes an Integra Type R look like a Conestoga...

You're just making stuff up to justify why you don't want to buy FWD. Speed isn't the reason. It's because you don't want the stigma of FWD, which is fine. But it doesn't change the fact that this car can destroy much more powerful RWD cars on a track and has more performance than you or I could probably master at a cost we could all reasonably afford.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Does anyone have specs in terms of what the car comes with? It says it has 19" wheels, but what width are they?

While this new car is faster, it's hardly sporting the same amount of rubber from cars even a few years ago. If the new civic type-r is sporting 205's all around comparable to an Integra Type-R I'd be blown away, but seems like everyone keeps stuffing larger and larger rubber on new cars and claiming that they "handle really well." It's hardly a fair comparison. What is it the new Camaro that is rocking 305's all around and is bragging about pulling how many G's on the skidpad?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606
Originally Posted by TheRook' timestamp='1425312979' post='23524383
Anyhow, how much is this thing expected to cost, 35k and up?
I would guess in the range of $26995-28995. I don't think Honda would be stupid enough to price this above $30k, especially not $35k.

No way brother.. I sold brand new Mugen Civic Si's about 7 years ago and they stickered at almost $30k for just aero parts and mugen wheels. This type R is at an entirely different level so from my Honda sales experience i'd predict between $35 to $40k if its going to be anything close to what its hyped up to be..
I truly don't think its ugly but I do have a soft spot for hot hatches. Now if they slapped an acura badge on this or called it anything other than a civic I think it would sell better cause you now in the US a lot of people are all about what other people think they drive instead of what they actually drive lol if that makes sense
Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Originally Posted by honda606' timestamp='1425313938' post='23524402
[quote name='TheRook' timestamp='1425312979' post='23524383']
I would guess in the range of $26995-28995. I don't think Honda would be stupid enough to price this above $30k, especially not $35k.
No way brother.. I sold brand new Mugen Civic Si's about 7 years ago and they stickered at almost $30k for just aero parts and mugen wheels. This type R is at an entirely different level so from my Honda sales experience i'd predict between $35 to $40k if its going to be anything close to what its hyped up to be..
[/quote]

You're likely right, in which case they will sell even less than I was conceding.

No way in hell Honda will be able to sell a $40k Civic to anyone but the utmost devoted of Honda fanbois. Seriously. Just say it out loud and try not to laugh. $40k Civic.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606
Originally Posted by 8.5kallday' timestamp='1425437542' post='23526696
[quote name='honda606' timestamp='1425313938' post='23524402']
[quote name='TheRook' timestamp='1425312979' post='23524383']
[/quote]

You're likely right, in which case they will sell even less than I was conceding.

No way in hell Honda will be able to sell a $40k Civic to anyone but the utmost devoted of Honda fanbois. Seriously. Just say it out loud and try not to laugh. $40k Civic.
[/quote]

I can hear it already from customers lol "wow I can get a 1 series bmw,C class benze,lexus is 250 etc for not much more lol I know theyre totally different cars but if this car makes it to the us and is priced this way it will be solely a Honda fanatic that will buy this car and quite frankly there aren't many of those anymore. I say this cause I remember how long Mugen Si's sat at my store and the only way they sold was about $3000 under msrp cause we were sick n tired of staring at the shit for 6 months lol I'll even go full retard and compare it to the S2000 when it was brand new lol The s2k is a bare bones drivers car that is a ton of fun to drive and going to be a classic. Its a 2 seater,4cyl 240hp,convertible without any of today technologies like cameras,tons of airbags,bluetooth etc and the s2ks sold between $33 to 36k brand new if I remember correctly. How in the hell is the boosted car with a shit load more features,tech,and power going to be under 30k is beyond me lol but I hope im wrong and I hope I get to sell some cause i'll be ripping them up on test drives lol
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

i have just learned from a 1st tier supplier to honda employee that, at least in canada, we'll be getting the 5 door hatch. what version of the 5 door they did not know.

darcy
Old 03-04-2015, 05:36 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1425416734' post='23526274
This is the crux of my argument. Honda reached the performance peak of FWD long ago. Really no point to purse this further.
If that is true, why are they now the FASTEST FWD car on the 'Ring? And why are they faster than elite sportscars from just a few years ago? Technology is changing everything, including FWD capabilities. This car makes an Integra Type R look like a Conestoga...

You're just making stuff up to justify why you don't want to buy FWD. Speed isn't the reason. It's because you don't want the stigma of FWD, which is fine. But it doesn't change the fact that this car can destroy much more powerful RWD cars on a track and has more performance than you or I could probably master at a cost we could all reasonably afford.
Wrong again. A lap around the Nurburgring is a high speed affair. There are maybe 7-8 tight turns around the entire circuit where a performance car will be going less than 60 mph. And tight turns and acceleration from low speed is where any powerful FWD car will have a lot of problems putting the power down. And while that may be the case with maybe 5% of a lap around the 'Ring, that is the type of conditions the average person experiences on public roads 50-80% of the time.

And THAT is why I'm 'ing all over this car's FWD drivetrain.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Wrong again. A lap around the Nurburgring is a high speed affair. There are maybe 7-8 tight turns around the entire circuit where a performance car will be going less than 60 mph. And tight turns and acceleration from low speed is where any powerful FWD car will have a lot of problems putting the power down. And while that may be the case with maybe 5% of a lap around the 'Ring, that is the type of conditions the average person experiences on public roads 50-80% of the time.

And THAT is why I'm 'ing all over this car's FWD drivetrain.
If that's the case, how is a 300 hp FWD car hanging with a high-performance 375 hp Porsche and barely behind a 505 hp Corvette? It's down on power to both of them, yet faster than the 997 GT3 and nearly as fast as a C6 Z06. It's down on power, which means it's LOSING in the straights, which implies it's doing better in the corners. It has to be making up time in corners, which supports my claim, not yours, that it'll be beating most cars we drive around a track.

Look at it this way: the last Type R (not sold here in North America) was faster than an S2000 around a track. The new one is faster than a 997 GT3. Get it into your head - they've made huge advances and this ain't your 1993 GS-R anymore. It's still FWD but it's not going to be like driving an SRT-4 or something like that.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
If that's the case, how is a 300 hp FWD car hanging with a high-performance 375 hp Porsche and barely behind a 505 hp Corvette? It's down on power to both of them, yet faster than the 997 GT3 and nearly as fast as a C6 Z06. It's down on power, which means it's LOSING in the straights, which implies it's doing better in the corners. It has to be making up time in corners, which supports my claim, not yours, that it'll be beating most cars we drive around a track.
Do we know what kind/size rubber the Civic R is sporting and its curb weight? I'm guessing that will tell a good part of the picture. Power to weight ratio plays a BIG part in how fast a car is. RWD/AWD doesn't affect lap times THAT much, especially on higher speed tracks. You can setup a FWD car to be neutral and handle well. On top of that, good aero helps a lot as well (the s2k is severely lacking in this dept). I think it's impressive that it's very fast around the Ring, but it's only part of the picture. FWD also has the distinct advantage of less drivetrain loss and lower weight (an advantage on a high speed track).

We're getting to a point with cars where metrics (lap times, 0-60, 1/4 mile) only tell part of the picture. People laud the GTR as being a superior machine to say the new Vette, but I'd say they're too different to compare. One is a RWD vehicle, and another is AWD with computer controlled torque distribution and who knows what else, not to mention a DCT vs a true manual. Not that the GTR isn't an amazing machine, just isn't my cup of tea. It's like someone saying the new Civic R is better than XYZ because it turned a faster lap at the Ring.. apples to oranges.

Quick Reply: 2015 Civic Type R prototype spotted in the U.S.