Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2014 Jaguar F-Type

Old 10-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1381797596' post='22827608
Like stated before, many people don't care. I understand this is a honda forum but reliability is not the only factor of purchasing a car. Especially when considering $100k cars. If that was true than maserati, aston, jag, range rover; etc wouldn't exist.
Jay Leno was good to point out that much of Jaguar's problems in the past were due to dealerships not being properly trained to work on the cars.

If Clarkson, Chris Harris, and Jay Leno all drive Jag's as daily cars; it's not because they are poorly made and break a lot.
Or maybe because they love the cars to the point they accept the costs associated with them, all of those you mentioned own exotic high end cars that have ridiculous maitenance schedules and ghastly repair bills, so I wouldn't use their tolerance as anywhere near the norm. I watched Leno's video on the car, when he says the engine's been solid because you don't have to open it up for maitenance, I know he's in a different league than me because that's not something I give credit for, I expect not to have to open the engine up, well, ever. Heck, I find teh valve adjustments annoying in the S.
Being properly trained is one thing, but you consider how many independent shops open up that are generally trained and they can take apart a new honda/toyota and put it back together with relative ease (the "complex" prius for example), but won't touch jags, sometimes the designs are just inherently flawed. There's a reason why there will always be a place for high end porsches, benzes, even Lexuses in the Ferrari level market, the fit and finish and quality of other components aside from the drivetrain. Old jags I can agree with, like teh E types and even into the XKEs that replaced them, but since then they're just laden with issues.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1381836133' post='22828138
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1381797596' post='22827608']
Like stated before, many people don't care. I understand this is a honda forum but reliability is not the only factor of purchasing a car. Especially when considering $100k cars. If that was true than maserati, aston, jag, range rover; etc wouldn't exist.
Jay Leno was good to point out that much of Jaguar's problems in the past were due to dealerships not being properly trained to work on the cars.

If Clarkson, Chris Harris, and Jay Leno all drive Jag's as daily cars; it's not because they are poorly made and break a lot.
... Old jags I can agree with, like teh E types and even into the XKEs that replaced them, but since then they're just laden with issues.
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but my family's experience with a mid-2000's Jaguar S-Type (bought used) over three years/~50,000 miles) of ownership was nothing but positive. I was disinclined to like the car, but it really was something remarkable. Trouble-free to 85K+, very nice ride while still being a very tight handling driver's car, IMHO. The interior was nicely done, leather and wood everywhere, and well made.

So many people repeat negative tales they've heard, but Jaguar sales numbers in this country indicate that chances are very slim the speaker has any actual experience with the cars. I'd much rather spend my money on a Jag than any BMW. And as long as it came with a manual, I'd prefer a Jag over any Mercedes.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Jags became pretty reliable under Ford's later years of ownership. The current gen Jags and Rovers benefited from the Ford turnaround in terms of style and quality, only they were sold off to Tata, so who knows if they will stay that way.

Today I'd buy a Jag over a BMW.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

The attention to detail in all aspects of the car is one facet of a Jaguar that misses those who have not owned one recently. From wishbones, to windshield wipers; everything is so well designed. How many manufacturers are still using double wishbone suspension? All aluminum rivet bonding... Only the most top end marques like Aston and Ferrari. Ergonomics is fantastic. Dials and gauges are as easy as can be.

British midlands is a mecca for automotive talent due to F1 and associated industries. That talent filters into British automotive marques like Jaguar Land Rover. That synergy is obvious in the modern designs of both brands.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is absolutely stunning!! However, it's too pricey and there's no manual. Hopefully in the later models there will be.

I think I will stick to an Audi TT-RS as my next car in the meantime to replace my Z4M Roadster.