Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Ford Escape

Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry - that's one ugly nose! Interior looks good (most recent Fords are) but I'm yet again worried about the sum of the parts being far less than them individually. Between the Focus 6-spd auto issues, poorer fuel economy than rated and now a heavier vehicle with similar motors, I'm not exactly predicting this vehicle to be spectacular.

The top-of-the-line specs sound good but have you recognized the base model specs? 171 hp and 171 ft-lbs 2.5L 4-cyl (snore).

Next step "up" is a 1.6L EcoBoost motor with (wait for it) 173 hp and 177 ft-lbs of torque (2 and 6 more respectively than the base model) and for that you get a much more complicated motor and purported better fuel economy. Will be interesting to see real-world figures since the other EcoBoost motors aren't exactly proving to be fuel efficient.

The top-of-the-line EcoBoost is a 2.0L with 237 hp and 250 ft-lbs of torque. This has been universally panned in the Explorer but may be much livelier in this lighter, smaller vehicle. We'll see!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]

Thank you for coming out. Please name me a "masculine" SUV. Thanks.
[/quote]

Cayenne Turbo S, X5M, Supercharged Range Rover...should I keep going?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM

This is the incarnation of the car which I own, it will be two generations behind current when the car from the OP's link hits the dealerships. Understanding that not all Escapes look like this... can you honestly say you'd rather drive the car in the OP's video over this?

I wouldn't call it the most masculine car on the road, but you can at least see where he's coming from here. I'd drive this over the car from that video in a heartbeat.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Toreus
This is the incarnation of the car which I own, it will be two generations behind current when the car from the OP's link hits the dealerships. Understanding that not all Escapes look like this... can you honestly say you'd rather drive the car in the OP's video over this?

I wouldn't call it the most masculine car on the road, but you can at least see where he's coming from here. I'd drive this over the car from that video in a heartbeat.

Yep, honestly. I'll take the new one that looks like it belongs in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. That one in the photo looks like it belongs in the last decade of the 20th century.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayenne Turbo S, X5M, Supercharged Range Rover...should I keep going?
[/quote]

Right, because those are the small SUVs that Ford buyers are considering when buying an Escape. You are a bit late to this conversation but thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by Toreus' timestamp='1324680086' post='21260212

Yep, honestly. I'll take the new one that looks like it belongs in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. That one in the photo looks like it belongs in the last decade of the 20th century.
Eh, no accounting for taste I guess. I'm kind of surprised, I usually agree with your car talk opinions, Spud. Oh well - each to their own.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread has really taken my choice of adjectives a bit too seriously. Here is a pic of what mine looks like from factory.

By the way - my main reason for this thread was to critique Ford's decision to replace a very well selling vehicle.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM

I never considered an Escape but this new one is on my list of cars to check out. Old one looks boring and dated, new one looks interesting.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was out the LA Autoshow & got a chance to spend some time in the new Escape. It is WAY better than the old one. Much more modern looking inside & out. I would never get a small SUV as I think it is too small for me in general, but if I did I would highly consider the new Escape, whereas I would not consider it before.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Both are contemporary designs for their time. Blame BMW and Hyundai for the sleepy designs.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Escape