Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Ford Escape

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2013 Ford Escape

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acdEAsbY8U&feature=relmfu[/media]

As a current Escape owner I am very disappointed at this reincarnation of the Escape. It goes from a masculine, purposeful looking SUV to a rounded off, feminine me-too SUV. No longer does it look like a Ford but just another Asian hybid. No thanks. Ford needs to look at the very successful brands from Germany and see that when they have a design that sells there is no reason to throw it away and design something totally new. Just update its lines.

Ford: "OK fellas, we have the best selling small SUV on the market. Let's totally redesign it and see what happens."
BMW: "OK fellas, we have the best selling Entry-level luxury car on the market. Let's keep the current design and instead just update some of its lines."
Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAZONE
[media]http://www.youube.com/watch?v=3acdEAsbY8U&feature=relmfu[media]

As a current Escape owner I am very disappointed at this reincarnation of the Escape. It goes from a masculine, purposeful looking SUV to a rounded off, feminine me-too SUV. No longer does it look like a Ford but just another Asian hybid. No thanks. Ford needs to look at the very successful brands from Germany and see that when they have a design that sells there is no reason to throw it away and design something totally new. Just update its lines.

Ford: "OK fellas, we have the best selling small SUV on the market. Let's totally redesign it and see what happens."
BMW: "OK fellas, we have the best selling Entry-level luxury car on the market. Let's keep the current design and instead just update some of its lines."
Did ford fire you recently? Because that is the type of thinking that dug the american auto industry into the hole they are in.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by NDAZONE' timestamp='1324431636' post='21252396
[media]http://www.youube.com/watch?v=3acdEAsbY8U&feature=relmfu[media]

Did ford fire you recently? Because that is the type of thinking that dug the american auto industry into the hole they are in.
I disagree with you. They have a top selling design. Yes, update it but don't make a completely different car. A company will not be in a "hole" if they produce top selling vehicles. If they continue to produce slow selling vehicles they will end up in one.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

That Escape is designed in Europe and based on the highly successful Kuga - its supposed to be great when it gets here and based on the other recent Fords I've driven I think it will be a huge hit.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
That Escape is designed in Europe and based on the highly successful Kuga - its supposed to be great when it gets here and based on the other recent Fords I've driven I think it will be a huge hit.

I had a kuga as a rental I returned it within 3-4 days and got something else. But to be fair. When bmw's and mercs are rented for the same price I aint driving that POS on the autobahn.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm just not feeling the same outrage there NDAZONE. The new Escape looks better to me in every way than the tired outgoing design that looks like a throwback to the last generation Explorer circa 1999. I could understand your rant if you were complaining that your current Escape will look woefully dated when the new model rolls out but, newsflash....it looked dated several years ago. I trust Ford product planners on this one rather than you. No offense intended.

The new Escape seems to have some thoughtful features for a grocery getter which is how these are generally used. 237 HP 2.0L Ecoboost turbo engine. 6 speed transmission. 5 mpg increase in fuel mileage. Yep! Looks like it will definitely suck. Here's another video from the LA auto show (Edmunds). The interior looks like a huge step forward.

Video - 2013 Ford Escape
Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Didnt know that the reason why the escape sold was because of its looks. Also didnt know that the sub luxury brands could just evolve a design so that it's recognizeable, like porsche or BMW.
Higher end luxury cars can pull off evolving a design because their cars are suppose to be instantly recognizeable, unless you think their core consumer group doesnt care about such things.
Now I would agree to the notion that I wish companies would have a core characteristic that they own up to, like BMW does with the kidney grilles and hofeimeighsjkkjgjkter kink, or audi with the round profile, or a porsche, but honestly that would mean their first design had to be a home run, like a mini, beetle, gti, etc. But no one remembers nor says gosh, I wish they made cars that looked like an EF civic (EG sure). Or remember the 86 corolla, now that was a looker, I want to buy one and spend 40K to restore it back to its original condition.
On the one hand, I wish car designers would do more because I know they can, take the camry vs. lexus ES, just ticks me off that toyota is capable of giving you a better design, but they dumb down one so they can justify a higher price for the other. I mean look at hyundai's lineup, its relatively stunning. But when a company does take a bold step forward, well people criticise, remember bangle? Loved his designs and I appreciated his effort even when they were odd to me because at least he took risks, and his efforts are still seen in designs today, notably the use of flame surfacing.
Anyway, I dont think the design will hurt sales one bit, if anything it will help, because it now looks upscale to the general public.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM

No offense to NDAZONE but the previous generation was the feminine looking one to me. Never saw anyone but soccer moms in them. Ford took a huge step forward with this one. The upper grill is a little small, other than that great job Ford.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

it looks like a crv by ford..
Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 AM

What year is your Escape? I could be wrong but I thought the Escape has looked about the same since it was introduced and it has never been a 'masculine, purposeful looking SUV'. Prior to it being introduced in a hybrid format it seemed like a non-contender in the mini SUV market dominated buy the Asian makes. Ford needed to change this turd of an SUV.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Escape