Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 TL SH-AWD?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1385420889' post='22894639
[quote name='omg516' timestamp='1385166091' post='22890607']
Which BMW are you referring to? Acura interiors always feel like slightly upgraded Hondas to me, cheap leather that doesn't wear well and lots of plastic. Definitely not in the same league as the Germans or even Lexus.

Value and reliability-wise though I agree, it is pretty tough to beat.
Cross shopped 328i and 528i with the Acura. I tried to like the 3 series interior. I went a couple times and each time i came away thinking... My PONTIAC has a nicer interior than this. Just couldn't do it. The TL's interior was IMO far superior to the BMW interior.
Huh, weird how people's taste can vary so much. I liked the current 3-series interior much more than the TL or TSX interior. (Didn't like the way that the FWD TL and TSX drove, either. Ended up buying a 2013 328i and have been very happy with it.)
[/quote]

I've got the same model Elistan has and I guess I see what people say when they don't like 3 series interiors. Most of them are base cars, which look cheaper, or the sport models which go for a different look and have glossy plastic/brushed aluminum which is not to everyone's taste. They do come nicer in the "luxury" trim with different wood choices and colors of leather, but you basic black interiors don't look that special even though I like mine with the red stitching.

Get a model with Oyster leather and it looks 100% different (and I REALLY like that one)even though the parts are the same, and more luxurious and expensive.

But the seats are great, and the materials are solid. The black interiors are plain, but good quality.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1385482504' post='22895647
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1385481777' post='22895612']
[quote name='Slithr' timestamp='1385480036' post='22895547']
We also have the fwd TL Tech and as nearly as I can tell a comparably equipped BMW 328 is going to MSRP for about $6k more. I prefer the driving dynamics of RWD, but my wife probably can't tell the difference. I would have a hard time justifying that much price spread given the relative performance and asthetics of the two cars.
Would you pay $6k more to get a less reliable vehicle? I wouldn't.
would give $6k for a better drivers car & more luxury imo? yes i would. and millions of other people obviously do too.
[/quote]

Yep, I would. And did. Well, not quite - I paid nearly the same as the FWD Acura, skipped lots of the techno doodads, and got a fun-to-drive RWD luxury/sport sedan. Life's too short to drive a boring car IMO.
[/quote]

Exactly
Id rather drive a bare bones Bmw than a fully loaded acura.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You haven't driven a bare bones BMW, then. Base model cars are nothing to write home about. Friend of mine just got a 328i, no sport package, with the small wheels and not many interior options and it's pretty bland, honestly. Sport package is virtually always a must, at a minimum, and the base BMW 3-Series lacks options that cars that are thousands less have as standard equipment.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You haven't driven a bare bones BMW, then. Base model cars are nothing to write home about. Friend of mine just got a 328i, no sport package, with the small wheels and not many interior options and it's pretty bland, honestly. Sport package is virtually always a must, at a minimum, and the base BMW 3-Series lacks options that cars that are thousands less have as standard equipment.
Dig dig dig
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
sorry, i should have clarified that a bare bones BMW to me still has a few options. Tech pack isn't necessary. Premium pack or at least full leather is for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I was shopping for a TSX a short while ago and I almost pulled the trigger on a first gen but I talked myself out of getting an older car. I strongly prefer the first gen but I wouldn't really be doing myself any favors getting something that old; I've already a few old cars. So then I looked at the second gen TSX. My god in heaven, the interior on those things completely sucks.

I don't recall exactly what I hated about it but it looked seriously cheap compared to the first gen. The rest of the car was meh overall (the first gen felt so much more alive) but the interior totally killed it. It's not the worst interior I've ever seen or anything, it just felt like a huge step in the wrong direction.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I was shopping for a TSX a short while ago and I almost pulled the trigger on a first gen but I talked myself out of getting an older car. I strongly prefer the first gen but I wouldn't really be doing myself any favors getting something that old; I've already a few old cars. So then I looked at the second gen TSX. My god in heaven, the interior on those things completely sucks.

I don't recall exactly what I hated about it but it looked seriously cheap compared to the first gen. The rest of the car was meh overall (the first gen felt so much more alive) but the interior totally killed it. It's not the worst interior I've ever seen or anything, it just felt like a huge step in the wrong direction.
I agree. I think they wanted the car larger (for American market) and then similar to other cars tried to keep the cost down on the interior. It looks better in certain color combos. I agree, the first gen looked better, felt better and aside from throttle changes drove better.