Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 TL SH-AWD?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Originally Posted by omg516' timestamp='1385166091' post='22890607
Which BMW are you referring to? Acura interiors always feel like slightly upgraded Hondas to me, cheap leather that doesn't wear well and lots of plastic. Definitely not in the same league as the Germans or even Lexus.

Value and reliability-wise though I agree, it is pretty tough to beat.
Cross shopped 328i and 528i with the Acura. I tried to like the 3 series interior. I went a couple times and each time i came away thinking... My PONTIAC has a nicer interior than this. Just couldn't do it. The TL's interior was IMO far superior to the BMW interior.
Huh, weird how people's taste can vary so much. I liked the current 3-series interior much more than the TL or TSX interior. (Didn't like the way that the FWD TL and TSX drove, either. Ended up buying a 2013 328i and have been very happy with it.)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1385420889' post='22894639
[quote name='omg516' timestamp='1385166091' post='22890607']
Which BMW are you referring to? Acura interiors always feel like slightly upgraded Hondas to me, cheap leather that doesn't wear well and lots of plastic. Definitely not in the same league as the Germans or even Lexus.

Cross shopped 328i and 528i with the Acura. I tried to like the 3 series interior. I went a couple times and each time i came away thinking... My PONTIAC has a nicer interior than this. Just couldn't do it. The TL's interior was IMO far superior to the BMW interior.
Huh, weird how people's taste can vary so much. I liked the current 3-series interior much more than the TL or TSX interior. (Didn't like the way that the FWD TL and TSX drove, either. Ended up buying a 2013 328i and have been very happy with it.)
[/quote]

I will agree with you that the drive experience of the 3 series was better than the TL, but i was less concerned about the drive to be honest. My daily driver is a G8 GXP. Drives far better than the 3 series does. This was more for taking clients out and events I have to go to. The 3 series interior seemed to be more hard plastic, the pleatherette is absolute crap. The leather marginally better. Nothing seemed soft touch. Both my wife and I found that the leather in the TL was much nicer, felt better and the interior felt more upscale than the 3 series. I got mine with the tech package which has a nicer leather and obviously navi, backup camera, ect..
Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1385420889' post='22894639
[quote name='omg516' timestamp='1385166091' post='22890607']

[/quote]

same the tl and tsx felt like i was just sitting in a nice honda
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also have the fwd TL Tech and as nearly as I can tell a comparably equipped BMW 328 is going to MSRP for about $6k more. I prefer the driving dynamics of RWD, but my wife probably can't tell the difference. I would have a hard time justifying that much price spread given the relative performance and asthetics of the two cars.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr
We also have the fwd TL Tech and as nearly as I can tell a comparably equipped BMW 328 is going to MSRP for about $6k more. I prefer the driving dynamics of RWD, but my wife probably can't tell the difference. I would have a hard time justifying that much price spread given the relative performance and asthetics of the two cars.
Would you pay $6k more to get a less reliable vehicle? I wouldn't.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Slithr' timestamp='1385480036' post='22895547
would give $6k for a better drivers car & more luxury imo? yes i would. and millions of other people obviously do too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1385481777' post='22895612
[quote name='Slithr' timestamp='1385480036' post='22895547']
would give $6k for a better drivers car & more luxury imo? yes i would. and millions of other people obviously do too.
[/quote]
Few are buying it for the RWD. Most are buying it because it says BMW. The 3 series sells well because it's a low end BMW. The brand has strong marketing and cache. That's the driving reason behind their sales, which if you look into are swung heavily to leases vs sales; compare to other brands and review. Toyota/Honda brands sell with purchase at a higher rate. That says a lot.

I'm fairly certain you're not getting enough 'upgrades' or 'improvements' for $6k price tag. You are buying a BMW; which is known to have problems, expensive ones, in and out of warranty. They have done a great job marketing and branding the company. I don't knock them for that.

On the value scale it's not in their favor nor is the longevity of their cars.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1385482504' post='22895647
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1385481777' post='22895612']
[/quote]
Few are buying it for the RWD. Most are buying it because it says BMW. The 3 series sells well because it's a low end BMW. The brand has strong marketing and cache. That's the driving reason behind their sales, which if you look into are swung heavily to leases vs sales; compare to other brands and review. Toyota/Honda brands sell with purchase at a higher rate. That says a lot.

I'm fairly certain you're not getting enough 'upgrades' or 'improvements' for $6k price tag. You are buying a BMW; which is known to have problems, expensive ones, in and out of warranty. They have done a great job marketing and branding the company. I don't knock them for that.

On the value scale it's not in their favor nor is the longevity of their cars.
[/quote]

Value is subjective. To you that $6k isn't worth it but to many people it is. Shit to many people on this forum jdm parts are that extra thousands of $$. And it isn't really $6k b.c the residuals on BMWs (if purchased well) are pretty high. To me a new 3 series is a great value. So is the 5 series. They give you the luxury of the older 5/older 7 series, in a total overall better package. Toyota/honda sell at a better purchase rate b.c they don't subsidize their leases as much and with cheaper price points.

Audi does less leases just b.c they don't inflate their residuals as much. All car companies that inflate their residuals will obviously sell more cars.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 AM

You are buying a BMW; which is known to have problems, expensive ones, in and out of warranty.
and i don't agree with the reliability. Yes they do have some issues (especially with sensors & electrical) but I also have seen way more neglected maintance; etc with German car owners. I do this for a living and buy wholesale/auction cars all the time. Most of the hondas/toyotas are decently taken care of. BMW/AUDI/MB/JAGs are sometimes so goddamn beatup. The only german car that are actually maintained really well by their owners is Porsche.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1385481777' post='22895612
[/quote]

Yep, I would. And did. Well, not quite - I paid nearly the same as the FWD Acura, skipped lots of the techno doodads, and got a fun-to-drive RWD luxury/sport sedan. Life's too short to drive a boring car IMO.

Quick Reply: 2012 TL SH-AWD?