Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 STI - blaaaa... 330hp...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2012 STI - blaaaa... 330hp...

how the hell can these cars *tread water* for so long and still be interesting? The 2003 EVO's & STI's were running nearly identical performance times 9 years ago as the 2012's..... they look a little neater but you would think they would have a 450+hp version??? 2012 = a few more horsepower to offset the heavier weight basically... yay...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...subaru-wrx-sti

2012 Subaru WRX STI - New and Future Cars

The product general manager of the Impreza, Akihide Takeuchi, said that although he can’t comment on the progress of the car, it would be safe for all of us to have very high expectations.

By Sam Mitani / Photo-Illustration by Best Car

July 18, 2011

While we’ve seen the all-new Subaru Impreza earlier this year, we have yet to hear much about the ultimate high-performance version of the car, the WRX STI. Subaru has been very secretive about the car, not allowing any information to get out to the media, but our colleagues in Japan were able to uncover some important details.

The STI’s launch is still about a year away—we hear that it’s scheduled to reach dealer showrooms in the summer of 2012. The car will first appear as a 5-door hatchback, with perhaps a sedan version to follow. It seems that Subaru has plans to compete in various motorsports events with the WRX STI, so expect to see the hatchback at rally events, with the sedan competing in touring-car races.

We’re still unsure how the U.S.-spec WRX STI will differ from the home-market version, but we do know that both will produce more than 300 bhp. The Japanese model will come powered by a new version of the FB flat-4 with a turbocharger. Our sources say that the 2.0-liter engine will produce 330 bhp and 324 lb.-ft. of torque, which is 8 bhp and 12 lb.-ft. more than the current domestic model. Despite the additional power, we expect fuel economy to improve.

The price is expected to be around $35,000, but we’re hoping Subaru will be able to bring that down to the $30,000 mark. With the high value of the Japanese yen to the American dollar, however, that might prove impossible. But we do know that the car will be one potent machine. The product general manager of the Impreza, Akihide Takeuchi, said that although he can’t comment on the progress of the car, it would be safe for all of us to have very high expectations.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some key points of the article are increased mileage AND increased power. If the new STi is approaching the 30mpg mixed mark, I'd be very impressed. The best I can pull on my 04' STi is about 22mpg with mixed driving.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
how the hell can these cars *tread water* for so long and still be interesting? The 2003 EVO's & STI's were running nearly identical performance times 9 years ago as the 2012's..... they look a little neater but you would think they would have a 450+hp version??? 2012 = a few more horsepower to offset the heavier weight basically... yay...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...subaru-wrx-sti
The new imreza is lighter than the old one.

More power + less weight + more efficient = good.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure at what point they were ever "treading water." The EVO and STi were competitors and still are so it shouldn't be surprising that they are nearly identical in performance. They are an absolute blast to drive even in stock form and are solid, purpose-built cars. I've owned a few myself so I may be biased but I generally like to think the people that dislike them honestly think they are ugly(you get used to it) or they haven't driven one. They aren't as engaging as an S2k but they are still an awesome machine.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM

2012 Subaru WRX STI - New and Future Cars
The product general manager of the Impreza, Akihide Takeuchi, said that although he can’t comment on the progress of the car, it would be safe for all of us to have very high expectations.
By Sam Mitani / Photo-Illustration by Best Car

July 18, 2011
Did Scot just come from Great Clips?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Some key points of the article are increased mileage AND increased power. If the new STi is approaching the 30mpg mixed mark, I'd be very impressed. The best I can pull on my 04' STi is about 22mpg with mixed driving.
And that's retuned with a far more fuel efficient tune than stock, right?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1344021564' post='21911386
And that's retuned with a far more fuel efficient tune than stock, right?
On my '04? No, that is with the stock tune. The only mods I have are coilovers, bracing, and wheels. No power mods at all.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Article over a year old...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM

if mileage standards keep rising, then either your power, your gas energy content, efficiency, your weight, etc has to change...something has to give. The price of weight reduction and efficiency are extreme beyond the low hanging fruit...so you can expect flat power in a best case scenario.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i think my evo got about 20mpg in mixed driving... you would think 9 years later they would make a freaking rocket instead of the same boring 13.4 Qtr mile time.....

this applies to either the Evo or the STI...... i guess throw the 370Z into that mix too..... a bunch of overweight, reasonably powered cars..... just think how quickly they could thin out the population with 450hp versions...

i just went to road and track today... sorry about the old article if it is old....

Quick Reply: 2012 STI - blaaaa... 330hp...