Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 Porsche 911 Pictures Leaked

Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the front end but the interior looks so much better. Plus more leg room for kiddos in the back. Just might consider trading in the GT3!..... NAH.. No effen way!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
It blows my mind that Honda hardly ever makes a sports car but that when they do they're hardcore enough to only limit it's transmission choice to manual. See: Civic Si, Integra GS-R (and Type R) and S2000. Whereas Porsche offers than auto for everything
Ever hear of the NSX? It was available w/ an auto. I suspect the others weren't offered w/ autos is b/c their revvy, low torque engines are poorly suited to them. In an S, you can at least downshift directly to whatever gear you want - how much fun would it be waiting for your F20C to downshift 2 or 3 gears when trying to make a pass?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Not to mention, I think there's an order-of-magnitude difference in conventional autos and the modern PDK type "auto". I don't need to be 'splained the subjective value of a traditional manual (especially after having only manuals, and the last two vehicles being manual only), but the current gen "auto" tech is killer.

I recently [see my BMW thread] got to drive a PDK BS again, and was absolutely terrific.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM

While I understand from a lap time POV the DSGs (and I bet even the conventional but modern autos) can be as good or better than manuals, I still love manuals. I'm a big surprised that they chose to have the add pictures (the best foot forward if you will) with an auto (DSG is an auto just a different mechanism).
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 AM

The day of the manuals is limited. The vast majority (from 70%-90%) of Porsches, Ferraris & Lambos are ordered with auto. Some people might still love their manuals, but even with the upcoming 7 speed manuals the technology of the new manumatics/automanuals are far superior.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure i'm diggin the new rear lights.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fanman
The day of the manuals is limited. The vast majority (from 70%-90%) of Porsches, Ferraris & Lambos are ordered with auto. Some people might still love their manuals, but even with the upcoming 7 speed manuals the technology of the new manumatics/automanuals are far superior.
People have been saying that for 20 years. Autos always sell better, but there is a difference between "majority" and "everybody." Mercedes rarely offers their cars with a manual because of the type of cars they sell and their clientele. Hardly means no other car maker is selling cars with manuals. And AFAIK, autos are less popular outside of the US, so I'm not sure it's reasonable to suggest just because the USA has a preference for autos that manuals worldwide will disappear in a year.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by Fanman' timestamp='1314265092' post='20911860
People have been saying that for 20 years. Autos always sell better, but there is a difference between "majority" and "everybody." Mercedes rarely offers their cars with a manual because of the type of cars they sell and their clientele. Hardly means no other car maker is selling cars with manuals. And AFAIK, autos are less popular outside of the US, so I'm not sure it's reasonable to suggest just because the USA has a preference for autos that manuals worldwide will disappear in a year.
Vast majority, simply means vast majority. It has never meant unanimous. Of course manuals still sell, even when a vast majority of sports cars have the semi-manuals as stated still 10%-30% of that model is sold with the manuals. The #'s are skewing to the auto manuals these days because of convenience & technology advantage. 20 years ago the 1st gen SMG's had their issues, but with each successive generation you are getting better performance, less downside. I never suggested that manuals are going to disappear in a year, but the facts are the sales are leaning farther towards the auto-manual boxes. That's all that was stated. Those clamoring for manuals it's up to the car companies themselves to determine if it is worth the R&D & manufacturing line changes to still offer the manuals. And those stats are worldwide/total sales, not just US Market. I'm sure if you want a manual, most car companies will continue to offer them, just you will be in an minority of car owners.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L06EXRXIO_I

Quick Reply: 2012 Porsche 911 Pictures Leaked