Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it

Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

For each specific test, it was either the best or tied for the best for fuel economy. With CR, it got 47 mpg on the highway, which is the best they've ever gotten out of a vehicle in that class (non-hybrid compact four-door sedan), I believe.

What is also interesting is that the Civic typically finishes 2nd overall. Many of the other cars are swapping positions all over the place. The Civic hasn't won a new comparo yet but it is consistently near the top. That's a testimony to the inherent goodness of the 9th generation, if not quite the absolute domination of the last generation.

Motortrend - Civic had the best fuel mileage for gasoline vehicles (Elantra was 5 mpg worse!), finishing 2nd overall (behind the Elantra)

Insideline - Doesn't do fuel mileage for the test, Honda finishes 2nd behind the Elantra overall

Automobile - Doesn't do fuel mileage for the test, Focus was best overall (no second or third place finisher listed) - ie, this was a weak comparo with a winner that was spec'd out far different than the other two (ie, virtually useless)

Autoblog - messed up test, completely, with differently spec'd cars, no apparent scientific process and they used "reported" fuel economy numbers for the Cruze to validate their test. Basically, a waste of time considering the test was for the most EFFICIENT cars and that's the one part they screwed up the most.

Car and Driver - Against the new Focus, it finished best for fuel mileage but was 2nd overall. The Focus also handily beat the Elantra (third in a prior comparo).

So, I stand by my statement: best in class real world fuel economy AND it still finishes well in comparos.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
For each specific test, it was either the best or tied for the best for fuel economy. With CR, it got 47 mpg on the highway, which is the best they've ever gotten out of a vehicle in that class (non-hybrid compact four-door sedan), I believe.

What is also interesting is that the Civic typically finishes 2nd overall. Many of the other cars are swapping positions all over the place. The Civic hasn't won a new comparo yet but it is consistently near the top. That's a testimony to the inherent goodness of the 9th generation, if not quite the absolute domination of the last generation.

Motortrend - Civic had the best fuel mileage for gasoline vehicles (Elantra was 5 mpg worse!), finishing 2nd overall (behind the Elantra)

Insideline - Doesn't do fuel mileage for the test, Honda finishes 2nd behind the Elantra overall

Automobile - Doesn't do fuel mileage for the test, Focus was best overall (no second or third place finisher listed) - ie, this was a weak comparo with a winner that was spec'd out far different than the other two (ie, virtually useless)

Autoblog - messed up test, completely, with differently spec'd cars, no apparent scientific process and they used "reported" fuel economy numbers for the Cruze to validate their test. Basically, a waste of time considering the test was for the most EFFICIENT cars and that's the one part they screwed up the most.

Car and Driver - Against the new Focus, it finished best for fuel mileage but was 2nd overall. The Focus also handily beat the Elantra (third in a prior comparo).

So, I stand by my statement: best in class real world fuel economy AND it still finishes well in comparos.
Please don't mentioned that they don't didn't test fuel mileage. Please read!!! every test have the observated MPG.

Like I have mentioned before I think that the civic is a good car. But the other are better. This 9th gen is a lame souless car. Corollas are prestty realiable and also are very good in the fuel mileage department. But it's a souless car.

I just talk from my exprience when I went to drive the car. I was hoping more from Honda. First I was waiting for the CR-Z and the result was awful. Now Hyundai came with the Veloster that have the same MPG rating of the CR-Z without being hybrid. Then I was waiting on the 2012 Si. Imagine my surprise when I saw than strighline numbers were identycal of the 8gen and the handling the 8th was better. Also the interior finish is prestty lame. Shade of grey on the doors are different from the dash and they don't follow the pattern.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Every test does NOT have observed fuel mileage. The InsideLine test just said they "regularly hit 30 mpg" but it didn't quote actual, total fuel efficiency for the test itself (like the others did). Either way, it only proves my point - the Civic was best or tied for best for fuel efficiency (and it only "tied" in this one, where they didn't post actual, full fuel efficiency numbers and in all others, it was the best). The Automobile test did NOT quote mileage from the test as they specifically state EPA results.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Fortune Magazine on Honda's problems
Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM

I own an 8th generation Civic sedan (wife's car) and I'd actually be glad to sacrifice a bit of handling for a bit more compliance in the suspension. On smooth roads, the Civic is great but on bumpier roads, it's definitely more flinty than the competition. I'm betting I'm not the only one (and I like a firm suspension, just not so much in a family car), which is probably why Honda switched it up a bit and went softer on the 9th generation...
Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was an enthusiasts' forum, no we're bickering about the relative merits of economy cars. Might as well read C&D or MT!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM

At least, on here, you know we're not being paid off to write certain things...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Thanks. Good read.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Good write up
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I own an 8th generation Civic sedan (wife's car) and I'd actually be glad to sacrifice a bit of handling for a bit more compliance in the suspension. On smooth roads, the Civic is great but on bumpier roads, it's definitely more flinty than the competition. I'm betting I'm not the only one (and I like a firm suspension, just not so much in a family car), which is probably why Honda switched it up a bit and went softer on the 9th generation...
It's perfectly good to desire a "softer" suspension for your family car. There is nothing wrong with that. But you have to understand that mostly Honda buyer are not looking for a softer car in the new civic.

Quick Reply: The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it