Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Ah yes, because most women know what would make a great car, especially ones that refuse to drive a car based on looks. Sounds like looks are what mattered most to her (which is what matters to a lot of women, honestly).

I have no problem admitting that the Elantra makes a great first impression and has a nicer look inside and out, with better standard features and cost. However, there's a lot more to a car than looks and features and the Civic has that in spades - fuel economy that is untouched by the rest of the class, proven reliability (motor and transmission), resale value and it's still a good-handling car that is near the top of the class (better than the Elantra, that's for sure). Plus, it still has available options to match the Elantra, in general.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Ah yes, because most women know what would make a great car, especially ones that refuse to drive a car based on looks. Sounds like looks are what mattered most to her (which is what matters to a lot of women, honestly).

I have no problem admitting that the Elantra makes a great first impression and has a nicer look inside and out, with better standard features and cost. However, there's a lot more to a car than looks and features and the Civic has that in spades - fuel economy that is untouched by the rest of the class, proven reliability (motor and transmission), resale value and it's still a good-handling car that is near the top of the class (better than the Elantra, that's for sure). Plus, it still has available options to match the Elantra, in general.

Well the thing is that your statements are more like opinions than facts. You say that fuel economy is best than it class when test found out that is the same MPG of the pack. You're saying that honda have proven reliability because they used the same lame old fashion engine of the last gen. Instead all competitors are using engines with new technology to increase MPG and reduce emmision. Even GM have a turbo cruze. Still good handling car??? better than the Elantra for sure??? I'm not saying than the Elantra is a handler but the 2012 civic is softer than before. Springs rates are lower and sway bars. That was because Hondas was looking for a softer ride than before.

Please go read reviews, view some reviews videos and go test the car yourself. Then tell me that's a better car than the 8th gen and the competitors.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM

EVERY test I've seen has shown the Civic to be the best of the pack. If you can point out otherwise, please do but if you found one, it would be the outlier of the group.

As far as that "lame" engine, the fact that you find it "lame" doesn't change the fact that it is a bulletproof motor with proven reliability (same goes for the transmission). I think it's to the SHAME of the other manufacturer's that they're running an extra gear with extra "motor technology" and still can't match the Civic in real world fuel efficiency. The Focus, especially, is awful considering the extra money they've spent on that transmission.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Why worry about direct injection on the Hyundai? It's got a 100,000 mile warranty, which dwarfs Honda's warranty.

One of my best friends recently had her Civic break down on her (2001 Civic with 114k miles - slushbox transmission bit it hard core) and I steered her towards a Hyundai. Howevershe didn't consider Civics because they had gotten too big for her (why does every car maker continue to flatten every car they have?) and she didn't like the 5 door style of the Fit. She's now the happy owner of a new 2012 Accent.
why dont honda have a 100,000k mile warrenty? cause they dont freakin 100k warrenty. There cars are rock solid. the 2001 civic was car of the year and dont bring that civic in the topic cause it blew the compition way out of the water. With out that warrenty people wouldnt touch there shit.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Jonboy,

Here are three reviews. The Civic didn't win any of them.
Car and Driver, Focus vs Civic.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Inside Line: Elantra, Cruze, Civic. It looks like the Elantra was their pick.
http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/el...ison-test.html

Automobile: Elantra, Civic, Focus. Ford wins
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...nclusions.html

The Civic may or may not be a good car but it clearly is not class leading and to claim every test has it as best of the pack suggests you might want to read a few more tests.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1312404497' post='20844171
Why worry about direct injection on the Hyundai? It's got a 100,000 mile warranty, which dwarfs Honda's warranty.

One of my best friends recently had her Civic break down on her (2001 Civic with 114k miles - slushbox transmission bit it hard core) and I steered her towards a Hyundai. Howevershe didn't consider Civics because they had gotten too big for her (why does every car maker continue to flatten every car they have?) and she didn't like the 5 door style of the Fit. She's now the happy owner of a new 2012 Accent.
why dont honda have a 100,000k mile warrenty? cause they dont freakin 100k warrenty. There cars are rock solid. the 2001 civic was car of the year and dont bring that civic in the topic cause it blew the compition way out of the water. With out that warrenty people wouldnt touch there shit.
Generally this is true. However, a friend of mine called me when her 3 year 3 month old Accord wouldn't start. The car had under 30k on the clock. Well the problem that left her stranded was corosion on the battery terminal. The dealer said no to warranty coverage and wanted to charge not only for a new battery (they did) but also to replace the battery cable. So a what appears to be a simple failure, even a trivial flaw with her Accord actually resulted in an expensive out of warranty repair and, perhaps what I consider to be the biggest failing of any car, the car wouldn't start and had to be towed. Yes, Honda's are reliable but that was a very big black mark.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
EVERY test I've seen has shown the Civic to be the best of the pack. If you can point out otherwise, please do but if you found one, it would be the outlier of the group.

As far as that "lame" engine, the fact that you find it "lame" doesn't change the fact that it is a bulletproof motor with proven reliability (same goes for the transmission). I think it's to the SHAME of the other manufacturer's that they're running an extra gear with extra "motor technology" and still can't match the Civic in real world fuel efficiency. The Focus, especially, is awful considering the extra money they've spent on that transmission.
Facts my friend again.

Motortrend

Insideline

Automobilemag

Autoblog

Those are a few. Plus the ones that rockville mentioned. Interesting in those comparo from different magazines the winner is different but never is the civic. It didn't won any of them. I won't comment on your excuse for why honda use old fashioned tech. It seems that for you we should be running carburators instead of Fuel injection.

Don't worry Honda won't have any problem selling cars. There is people like you that will buy any crap that they may produce. I not saying that it won't be bad cars but souless cars like toyota.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
Jonboy,

Here are three reviews. The Civic didn't win any of them.
Car and Driver, Focus vs Civic.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Inside Line: Elantra, Cruze, Civic. It looks like the Elantra was their pick.
http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/el...ison-test.html

Automobile: Elantra, Civic, Focus. Ford wins
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...nclusions.html

The Civic may or may not be a good car but it clearly is not class leading and to claim every test has it as best of the pack suggests you might want to read a few more tests.
I said in regards to fuel economy, it was clearly class leading/best of the pack (my comment just above yours was a continuation of an ongoing conversation - you probably took it out of context). I readily admitted that others have exceeded it in looks (inside and out) and features, to name a few things.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by thielepr
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1312754607' post='20856011

Facts my friend again.

Motortrend

Insideline

Automobilemag

Autoblog

Those are a few. Plus the ones that rockville mentioned. Interesting in those comparo from different magazines the winner is different but never is the civic. It didn't won any of them. I won't comment on your excuse for why honda use old fashioned tech. It seems that for you we should be running carburators instead of Fuel injection.

Don't worry Honda won't have any problem selling cars. There is people like you that will buy any crap that they may produce. I not saying that it won't be bad cars but souless cars like toyota.
My comment about "best in class" was in regards to fuel economy, in response to your comment about it having the same as the rest of the pack (definitely not true). It wasn't about it winning the overall comparo.

I remember when the current generation Malibu first came out and it beat everything, including the Accord. After a year, despite no changes to the Accord, the Malibu was finishing well behind it. Why? Journalistic mob mentality. The recent CR report only goes to show how UNobjective the press has gotten.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Please read the reviews. The civic got 33MPG in the test of CR. The same number of the pack. In others comparo the civic is betwwen 29-34 MPG wich is the numbers of the competitors

Quick Reply: The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it