Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
They got 47 mpg in the car (!!!), it's quieter than the last one, more spacious, has improved features/amenities and the look hasn't changed much. It's less sporty but quite a bit more compliant while still handling as well or better than almost everything else (new Focus being better, most others being worse). While I understand that the GAP between the 9th gen and 8th gen is much smaller than the one between the 8th gen and 7th gen, the 9th gen is still the better car (by quite a bit, in some cases).

It's a simple case of people comparing to the old car rather than to the competition, I think. Virtually EVERY test does the same thing and it's getting old. The Civic isn't competing with itself - it's competing with the other manufacturers.
Do you see how the 2012 civic looks? Have you seen 2012 Elantra? I undertsnad the looks is in the eye of the beholder but the 2012 civic look more like a last decede car. Sure the got 47 MPG! A geo metro puts 50 easy. The car looks bland, the interior is more cheap, it doesn't is more faster, and a corollla have more soul.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The Buick? EVERY comparo has said that the Elantra handles worse than the Civic and somehow the Civic is the Buick? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

For the Focus, it may be a "great" car but with a problematic transmission, I don't think anyone is going to enjoy owning it for a long time plus it'll never get anywhere near 47 mpg on the highway. It certainly looks great, inside and out (I saw a bunch of them as rental cars on the road this weekend - the hatchback looks great), but it's certainly far from perfect.
Numb steering is the main criticism towards the way the Civic drives.

As to the Focus, the transmission problem is easily solved by opting for the manual transmission.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Easily solved if you know how to drive one. Most people don't....
Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by thielepr
Do you see how the 2012 civic looks? Have you seen 2012 Elantra? I undertsnad the looks is in the eye of the beholder but the 2012 civic look more like a last decede car. Sure the got 47 MPG! A geo metro puts 50 easy. The car looks bland, the interior is more cheap, it doesn't is more faster, and a corollla have more soul.
I have seen the new 2012 and, in person, it looks fine. The Si Coupe looks very good to me and the Si Sedan actually looks better as well. The base car is not as exciting as the Elantra but are we buying cars based on looks alone, now? The Civic is more fuel efficient (real world numbers bear this out in EVERY test thus far, sometimes by a significant margin), better handling, more buttoned down and has proven reliability to back it up (no direct injection problems to worry about, either). A Corolla definitely DOESN'T have more soul - it's arguably the blandest car you can buy right now. A friend of mine just bought one and her and her husband hate it so much that they put it up for sale within a week.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thielepr' timestamp='1312369025' post='20842227
I have seen the new 2012 and, in person, it looks fine. The Si Coupe looks very good to me and the Si Sedan actually looks better as well. The base car is not as exciting as the Elantra but are we buying cars based on looks alone, now? The Civic is more fuel efficient (real world numbers bear this out in EVERY test thus far, sometimes by a significant margin), better handling, more buttoned down and has proven reliability to back it up (no direct injection problems to worry about, either). A Corolla definitely DOESN'T have more soul - it's arguably the blandest car you can buy right now. A friend of mine just bought one and her and her husband hate it so much that they put it up for sale within a week.
I don't know how loyal to the brand you are. But you are just blind. I'm not saying tha the civic is a bad car, that would be stupid. But the civic was the benchmark of the segment.

Even having a S2k and a 06 civic si right now, I'm not loyal to any brand. I usually go to drive new cars often just for fun. I had driven the 2012 civic and beilive me that doesn't inspire more than a corolla. The civic have lost it soul.

I have a 06 civic si. I was waiting for the 2012. Do you really think that it would make sense to trade-in my car to the new Si that doesn't it faster, doesn't handle better and most important it less fun to drive.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I think Honda needs to make improvements? Sure! However, I see this as yet another journalistic bandwagon based on media hype, not reality. Their own numbers damn their report and score for the 2012 Civic.
The bottom line is simple, perception becomes reality, call it whatever you want, the facts remain, Honda gets more and more negative publicity, the bowing and respect just because it is a Honda, is long gone, the Honda reputation has taken a beating, and you add all this up, and face it, Honda can't ride forever on their old reputation
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
American Honda has responded with a press release
And they did so because, they are concerned about their reputation being damaged even more than it has already
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Actually, the new tests show the new Si IS faster, handles just as well and gets better fuel economy. I agree that it probably isn't as "fun" to drive (it's less frenetic, has more torque so it doesn't have to rev so hard, etc, etc) but overall, it will appeal to the masses far more. Enthusiasts are getting the shaft from Honda right now, unfortunately, but I'm betting the new Si will appeal to a broader range of people and probably sell as well or better than the last one. Time will tell...

I never said the Civic was still the benchmark of the group. For fuel economy, it definitely is (nothing else comes close in real world driving). For reliability, it is. For looks, no (never was, really, though the 8th generation was better looking compared to most of its competitors whereas the 9th generation didn't advance enough to say the same).

The Elantra offers a ton of value. It doesn't offer handling. It offers very good fuel economy. It offers lots of features. It doesn't have a proven track record and it's using an engine technology that is PROVEN to have issues.

The Focus is a great car, overall, despite far inferior fuel economy and the clunky automatic transmission. It's a great package with two glaring problems. It's one thing to ignore them in a test drive/comparo (especially if you can choose the manual transmission) and only live with them for a few days but for MOST people, those two issues are going to be very big and very real.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1312305373' post='20839362
CR evaluates the vehicle against others in its class, not against prior iterations. The magazines do comparos with current vehicles, not past vehicles.

As far as performance characteristics, the new car handles virtually as well (by the numbers), brakes the same, gets better fuel economy, has more interior room and weighs less while adding a few features with virtually no cost increase for them.

Your Civic Si was fully loaded with power everything, moonroof, LSD, big sound system, and bespoke seats, all for quite a bit less money than a VW GTI. The MS3 was similarly priced, for sure, and is a bargain in and of itself. That said, if you do any research, you'll see how many problems people have had (often for no apparent reason) and realize that they had to cut the quality SOMEWHERE to hit that selling price...

Do I think Honda needs to make improvements? Sure! However, I see this as yet another journalistic bandwagon based on media hype, not reality. Their own numbers damn their report and score for the 2012 Civic.
In regards to road noise is honda still using the bottom of the barrel bridgestones on their entry level cars? Just changing those tires to...well...about anything resulted in my wife's old CRV being much quieter and that may explain the longer stopping distances then it's competitors.
Agree on changing tires. Started to hate driving my wife's Pilot due to road noise and somewhat harsh ride on bumps. Once we changed out OEM Goodyear Forteras to General Grabber tires, road noise pretty much went away and now rides like a sedan.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM

I check Consumer Reports when I'm looking for a dishwasher not a car.

Quick Reply: The 2012 Honda Civic is so awful that even Consumer Reports hates it