Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 GT-R beats Corvette ZR1

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTR looks better in i real life. I would call it a toss up between the ZR-1 and GTR both are pretty good looking cars. Not exactly what I would call super car looks on either though.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Props the both, but more so to the ZR1 for it would be a far more difficult car to drive at the limit...

Reminds me of the time I (ap1 - stock engine, heavy mods otherwise) was competing in a time attack against a modded STI (stage 2 engine tune, little else). I was going 110% and almost getting to a bad area of driving
when they were pushing 90-100%. I barely kept up, then didnt.

After, I swapped cars and without pushing reached 98% of my s2000 fastest time without pushing. Sure it is a faster car, but it was a hell of a lot easier to fandangle around.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1301349915' post='20404821
Too bad it's just so... well I guess a mother could love the looks.
Polarizing looks vs looking like the same car dolly parton drives in automatic just w/ a few exterior doo-dads. Anytime I see a gtr and am around non-car enthusiasts they all like it. Get around a person who has 10 milliliters of American car fanboyism and the gtr is the elephant man. I like the all versions of the c6 btw believing that the z06 is the best looking. Sadly since you see corvettes EVERYWHERE it has nowhere near the presence or aesthetic appeal as a gtr imo.
Quoted for truth. GTR is a good looking car and looks/feels more expensive than it is in person. The brakes, door handles, and other minor detailing really set it off. The 2012 updates are a little cheesy but overall its still one of the freshest looking cars on the road.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Im still confused as to why the Nurburgring has become a "standard" in which we test cars and times at....this video is awesome and great to see side by side, but on such a long track the driver plays more and more into account...and regardless if the same driver or not, the run won't necessarily be the same as the other car with variables such as turning in a little late, less than perfect throttle through a turn, etc....I know others disagree and that it is good to have tangible times and comparisons but this is just all of what I feel
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 AM

The ring times have become a standard because we are talking about them. In most ways they shouldn't be a standard. I mean on a long track weather conditions can make a big difference in times. Even if the weather was standardized who verifies that things like a specialty alignment, tires, motor etc aren't involved. I mean the GTR beat the ZR1 time around the ring but hardly beats a Z06 (with ZR1 suspension and brakes) around a different track. Is the ZR1 time slow or out of date? Did Nissan get a better driver? Are the new tires better than the previous ones? Did Nissan turn up the boost a bit? Are the small year on year improvements to the Z06 (not just the ZR1 suspension and brakes but the updated traction and stability systems) enough to put it back in competition with the GTR?

Basically, I'm impressed with the flying lap of the ring but it's hardly enough to draw any real conclusion about which car is fastest. I think Nissan was the first to really push ring times thus they want the ring to remain a "standard" even though it's very uncontrolled and really, not good standard.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Originally Posted by sparrow' timestamp='1301405959' post='20406780
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1301349915' post='20404821']
Too bad it's just so... well I guess a mother could love the looks.
Polarizing looks vs looking like the same car dolly parton drives in automatic just w/ a few exterior doo-dads. Anytime I see a gtr and am around non-car enthusiasts they all like it. Get around a person who has 10 milliliters of American car fanboyism and the gtr is the elephant man. I like the all versions of the c6 btw believing that the z06 is the best looking. Sadly since you see corvettes EVERYWHERE it has nowhere near the presence or aesthetic appeal as a gtr imo.
Quoted for truth. GTR is a good looking car and looks/feels more expensive than it is in person. The brakes, door handles, and other minor detailing really set it off. The 2012 updates are a little cheesy but overall its still one of the freshest looking cars on the road.
[/quote]

Really? While I've never felt around the inside of one... the exterior looks anything but 'more expensive than it is'. 90K shouldn't buy you a car that looks like it was accidentally designed by a kid with cerebral palsy trying to draw an Altima.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The interior of the GTR that I sat in reminds me of my uncle's 911 Turbo.

The interior of the New Z06 I test drove at the Dealer was somewhere between a dodge SRT 4 and a wrecked Toyota Yaris.

Actually the Yaris has nicer seats.

I'm no GTR fan boy though.

*American Flame suit on
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Yeah, I have to say I don't see anything in that exterior that makes me think the car costs more than a G35. It looks like a larger G35 with some awkward growth spurts. I think the G35 (and G37) are better looking.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

The exterior styling certainly looks performance oriented, so I don't think the average person will have any trouble telling that it looks like a sports car. However, it doesn't scream "FAST" like a Porsche or a Corvette does.

The car personally does nothing for me. Whenever I see them around town I am always am just re-surprised at how goddamn big they are.

The car hauls ass. I get it. But could they not have just made it the size of 350 and called it a day?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
The exterior styling certainly looks performance oriented, so I don't think the average person will have any trouble telling that it looks like a sports car. However, it doesn't scream "FAST" like a Porsche or a Corvette does.

The car personally does nothing for me. Whenever I see them around town I am always am just re-surprised at how goddamn big they are.

The car hauls ass. I get it. But could they not have just made it the size of 350 and called it a day?
+1 on the size part. I see one in the morning every day, and it is HUGE compared to my Miata.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT-R beats Corvette ZR1