Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 GT-R beats Corvette ZR1

Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by sparrow' timestamp='1301405959' post='20406780
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1301349915' post='20404821']
Too bad it's just so... well I guess a mother could love the looks.
Polarizing looks vs looking like the same car dolly parton drives in automatic just w/ a few exterior doo-dads. Anytime I see a gtr and am around non-car enthusiasts they all like it. Get around a person who has 10 milliliters of American car fanboyism and the gtr is the elephant man. I like the all versions of the c6 btw believing that the z06 is the best looking. Sadly since you see corvettes EVERYWHERE it has nowhere near the presence or aesthetic appeal as a gtr imo.
You are spot on. The Corvette, IMHO, looks really good but it isn't striking because it's common. It's the curse of being a popular car. If the Corvette were GTR rare it would definitely stand out more. Still, what I find sad is there doesn't seem to be any reason WHY the GTR has to look bad. The previous Skylines were conservative looking like the older BMW M series cars. Nissan has over the years done some very nice looking sports cars as well. The first 240Z and the last 300ZX come to mind. Why couldn't they make the GTR look good? It's not like good styling costs extra.

The one place I disagree with you is the aesthetic appeal part of your post. The Corvette's aesthetic appeal is only diminished because it's common. I don't look at a Corvette because I already have its curves in my minds eye. I look at the GTR and try to comprehend how a car (reportedly as I've never driven one) that good could look that ungainly.
[/quote]

I like the corvettes shape better as the gtr looks like a g37 that worked out with arnold. But it doesnt look bad to me at all. Instead of being a low slung ass scraping sports car they designed a go anywhere(on pavement) comfortable coupe that happens to have the performance of high-end performance cars. I see the corvette(excluding the zr-1) as the sports car and the gtr as the insanely capable grand tourer.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you guys really don't like the looks huh? I think they're stunning.

This is the one I see at my work, or at least it looks IDENTICAL to the one at my work.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks menacing in black and gray, but looks circus silly in most other colors.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM

You are spot on. The Corvette, IMHO, looks really good but it isn't striking because it's common. It's the curse of being a popular car. If the Corvette were GTR rare it would definitely stand out more. Still, what I find sad is there doesn't seem to be any reason WHY the GTR has to look bad. The previous Skylines were conservative looking like the older BMW M series cars. Nissan has over the years done some very nice looking sports cars as well. The first 240Z and the last 300ZX come to mind. Why couldn't they make the GTR look good? It's not like good styling costs extra.

The one place I disagree with you is the aesthetic appeal part of your post. The Corvette's aesthetic appeal is only diminished because it's common. I don't look at a Corvette because I already have its curves in my minds eye. I look at the GTR and try to comprehend how a car (reportedly as I've never driven one) that good could look that ungainly.
I agree.
I'm surprised quite a few people think that the GT-R is ugly.
Although I think the Vette is a sexier car, I never thought the GT-R was ugly.
Actually, it looks gorgeous, IMO.

Dan
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by North Star
Some of you guys really don't like the looks huh? I think they're stunning.

This is the one I see at my work, or at least it looks IDENTICAL to the one at my work.

Nope, not really. It looks fat and slammed as if the weight of the car collapsed the springs. Since I'm not into either look I don't think it looks good.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM

It looks fat and slammed as if the weight of the car collapsed the springs.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1301410962' post='20407076
It looks fat and slammed as if the weight of the car collapsed the springs.

ROFL!!!

The GT-R's front view could be better IMO, but I think it looks great from the sides and rear, which is the angle most people view it from anyway. Love the curvature of the roof, it's very unique.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Regardless of how you think the looks are or how it does its thing on the track, the bottom line is... it gets the job done.

So you give it props for at least that. Don't be a hater.

Sorry, I wasn't directing this to anyone. It was just a general comment.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jasonjm
Regardless of how you think the looks are or how it does its thing on the track, the bottom line is... it gets the job done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the car. I think the stylist did a terrible job in a few areas (the new nose in particular) and a not good in most. With a proper re-skin this car would be much better. The hardware under the skin is clearly VERY VERY good stuff.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jasonjm' timestamp='1301412930' post='20407188

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the car. I think the stylist did a terrible job in a few areas (the new nose in particular) and a not good in most. With a proper re-skin this car would be much better. The hardware under the skin is clearly VERY VERY good stuff.
I updated my post, i wasn't directing my comment to anyone (or you). I do agree with you for the record on the looks.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT-R beats Corvette ZR1