Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 Civic released

Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning a Civic, I think the IP layout is excellent for day to day use. Whether it's attractive or not is debatable, but for me, it's a noticeable improvement functionally.

I can easily see the digital speedometer using my peripheral vision without having to look down, even for a split second. The digital readout makes it noticeably easier to keep an exact speed (say 76 vs 78mph).

90% of the time you're looking at your IP in this type of commuter car, you're checking your speed. Having that one piece of information in eye sight is noticeable and helpful. Whether the rest of the IP needs to also be there is debatable. Again this is all with the caveat that this is for a commuter car - unlike my S2000 there's rarely a time I really need to look at the rev counter.

Having the entire IP that high I wonder would actually lose the advantage of having just the speedometer there and would be a lighting issue at night.

With all that said, a normal IP is fine - I have no issues driving my wife's RDX and it's certainly a more classy display.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM

I think it looks fine. The world needs a Civic, and that's a Civic. Good job by Honda to not mess with the formula.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a blend of the Accord coupe and an Altima coupe. I'm sure it will still sell well.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> By default, it will sell like the current generation.

-> However; unfortunately, Honda has thrown the towel of being a competitive company with its latest iteration of the Civic. This Civic is not competitive in any manner. AHM will just market the Civic only by its "legendary innovation and/or engineering" not the car itself, shame.

-> These new breeds; New-Mazda3, Cruze, Elantra, Global-Focus, and the Fat-Jetta will surely will but a dent on the "Blandy-Duo" (Corolla & Civic).
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Honda ****ed up big time. It's the EP3 all over again..

8thgen>9thgen
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm willing to bet it won't redline at 8k with a k24. That was one of the Si's main points honestly. When you think of Si you think high revving.

I would take a cobalt ss anyday over that thing
Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i think its quite ironic. here we are supposed to be an ethusiast site.

Its VERY common knowledge the K24 engine is an absolute tuning monster. In Fact, it outclasses the F20/F22c when modified and the K24 has proven itself to be an amazing swap and capable of producing better tq and whp vs the all mightly F series. even the 'lesser' K20 will produce better whp when tuned ihe vs a tuned ihe f20/f22.

Now you guys are complianing that Honda is offering the K24 engine standard in the Civic Si? Sure, they didnt bump up the power much from the prior k20, but I be your nickels the TQ is greatly improved and the car is faster overall. I really wonder how this K24 will respond with Bolt ons.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Im surprised they put the K24 in it, I too am wondering how this will turn out in the aftermarket world. I wonder how much weight its gained?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Don't get me wrong. I thought the k24 idea was great. I wish they could have somehow kept the 8k redline. But one of my main gripes with this car is its having an integrated header! Basically if you wanna do a header, you you a k20 head swap. How stupid is that?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Feb 19 2011, 11:41 AM
i think its quite ironic. here we are supposed to be an ethusiast site.

Its VERY common knowledge the K24 engine is an absolute tuning monster. In Fact, it outclasses the F20/F22c when modified and the K24 has proven itself to be an amazing swap and capable of producing better tq and whp vs the all mightly F series. even the 'lesser' K20 will produce better whp when tuned ihe vs a tuned ihe f20/f22.

Now you guys are complianing that Honda is offering the K24 engine standard in the Civic Si? Sure, they didnt bump up the power much from the prior k20, but I be your nickels the TQ is greatly improved and the car is faster overall. I really wonder how this K24 will respond with Bolt ons.
Not with the integrated header, it isn't. That's a fairly extensive/expensive retrofit to change that out.

In day-to-day driving, I expect it will be quicker and easier to drive. I'm not sure it will be better than a K20 (cheaper or more powerful/quicker) if you do similar mods though, based on the integrated header limiting your options.

Quick Reply: 2012 Civic released