Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 911 Carrera S

Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dombey
Originally Posted by kenstyle' timestamp='1316644742' post='20993215

The Porsche 911 is dead, long live the Porsche 911. The German automaker's latest and greatest has taken to the Nürburgring where old marks have fallen hard. The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S was sent through the Green Hell, where it promptly beat the time achieved by the prior 997 version by a whopping 13 seconds.

With a time of 7:40, the 2012 911 matches the mark set by the previous 911 GT3. If you happen to own a previous generation 911 GT3, we'll pause here for a moment while you go out to smash something with a hammer.

Back? Great. You shouldn't fret too much, because this just means the next-generation GT3 should be a land rocket capable of blistering the surface of the 'Ring. GT2 guys, your numbers are still safe... for now
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/21/2...s-ring-time-q/

Damn, son.
this is why I hate the car game. I also hate iPhones, iPads, or anything else that is outdated by the time you unwrap it. It is compounded by the release pattern...ie the GTS was released just recently, and it got RAVE reviews by autoblog, but then the next day you see this... You won't be able to buy a 991 GTS until the end of the cycle and then a year later the next chassis will be on the market, making you look like a fool.
It SHOULD make me glad that instead of buying a GT3 or GTS in a few years, I can just get a 991 S for the same performance and a lot less money...but it doesn't. It just makes me want a 991 GTS and would make me angry if I owned a 997...it's true you can't go wrong either way but when the gains are this substantial it is hard to look the other way.
I agree with you. Buying the latest and greatest is always an uphill battle b/c new versions are produced all the time. But when you look back to older models that strike a particular chord within you, you fall out of the lust for the newest product. All the new porsches are nice but a 964/993 911 appeals to me on an emotional level a bit more than the new cars.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how much of this is better tires? I mean if most of this is better tires, well put the good tires on the old car. Really, I'm just waiting (and hoping it doesn't happen) for one of these test runs to end up with a wreck and dead test driver.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

997 GT3 has Pilot Sport Cups - you don't get much better than that for a street-legal tire.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM

this is why I hate the car game. I also hate iPhones, iPads, or anything else that is outdated by the time you unwrap it.
That's why I almost daily drive a 41 year old car

but...

I'm really starting to wonder if I should get a 911 soon, even the outdated ones seem kind of awesome.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM

as far as I know, Porsches are Porsches no matter the age.

Each one comes with unique driving pleasures that you really don't need the next best thing all the time.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Well I own a GT3 and love the new one. I don't know if I would trade mine in for it but I love the evolutionary improvement Porsche makes to the 911!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of you lap the 'Ring on a regular basis? There's a lot more to auto ownership satisfaction than lap times, and the $$$ it would cost to upgrade prob. aren't worth it in most cases. Almost any Porsche in good condition will provide a very fulfilling driving experience.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
How many of you lap the 'Ring on a regular basis? There's a lot more to auto ownership satisfaction than lap times, and the $$$ it would cost to upgrade prob. aren't worth it in most cases. Almost any Porsche in good condition will provide a very fulfilling driving experience.
I wouldn't kick a 996 or 997 911 Turbo out of my garage. While I prefer RWD, 911 Turbo is AWD turbo from the gods. Amazingly efficient design.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said. I recently picked up an '08 911S. Do I like the numbers of the new 911? Sure. Am I lusting to upgrade? Nope. Will I upgrade in the future? Maybe, if it's in the budget. My 911 has more power than I can really use on the street, and the driving experience is amazing. It's a car that I've wanted for a long time (regardless of model year... except the 996s), and I'm just enjoying having the one that I have without being envious of anyone that has a newer one or a GT3 or a GT2. It's hard to explain.

I've learned from my years of chasing computer and home theater advances... sometimes it's better to enjoy an older model plus a little cash left over, rather than getting the newer model and living on the edge of your budget. But, you won't hear the people that can afford to upgrade every year complain about the revisions & improvements.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Almost every weekend. However I can't afford a 911 so it means nothing to me. I do agree though. At about 8:40 laps I am not that quick around the 'Ring but it is an amazing track to play on.

Quick Reply: 2012 911 Carrera S