Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Commercial

Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't know which review I read of this car but I think it was true that it is a car designed for five years ago. If somebody wants to pay $40k+ for the loaded hemi only to get horrible milage and an asset that depreciates faster than your 401k accounts, well then it aint a bad car.

Even though this car looks well put together and I liked the ones my dad owned, its still a heavy lumbering dinasaur. I think people are taken in by a commercial that shows a nice interior to hide the fact that this aint a highly desired vehicle anymore and the people at Jeep and CHrysler are trying furiously to get vehicles the exact opposite of this in the pipeline. This one was on the drawing board before the poop hit the fan.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people want or need a vehicle more suited to off-road excursions than a Sequoia. Land Rovers aren't know for their excellent mileage, nor are anyone else's big trucks. People buy minivans if they want decent mileage and don't need 4x4 ability, high ground clearance, towing ability, or anything but interior room. So in that context, I can understand someone not wanting a Grand Cherokee, but I can't understand knocking it for not being a minivan. It's not supposed to be a minivan.

I think the ad is good. That kind of implies it's a healthy dose of marketing. I'm not sure it's much different in that way then Toyota's LFA commercial - making a number of positive associations that may or may not be remotely relevant to the vehicles being sold. Does anyone really believe there is anything similar about driving an LFA and a Corolla? I would certainly hope there wasn't if I "bought" an LFA
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 7 2010, 04:10 PM
Some people want or need a vehicle more suited to off-road excursions than a Sequoia. Land Rovers aren't know for their excellent mileage, nor are anyone else's big trucks. People buy minivans if they want decent mileage and don't need 4x4 ability, high ground clearance, towing ability, or anything but interior room. So in that context, I can understand someone not wanting a Grand Cherokee, but I can't understand knocking it for not being a minivan. It's not supposed to be a minivan.

I think the ad is good.
Yeah the ad is good and some people need the trait of which you speak but show me 1 jeep grand cherokee that has been off road and I will show you 100 that have not.

I guess I am trying to say the SUV was THE hot fad for a long time, but I don't see it as the fad for the near future. They are expensive to get one loaded up and expensive to run. What the new hot fad is I have no idea. Maybe the full size family car, maybe the smaller crossovers, maybe the midsize. Sales numbers are too much in the toilet to really tell.

During the boom I would see a new car with temporary tags every day, now I see a new car about once a month. How the dealers are staying afloat I don't know.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM

How do you know what people use their trucks for? Are you the guy who sees one person in a Tahoe and simply assumes that person commutes 35+ miles each way, lives alone, and has never towed anything?

I think you assume you know far more than you do just because you see a truck on a paved road.

Making negative assumptions about SUV drivers is more popular than buying an SUV, it seems.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM

I like the car commercial a lot. It's like a patriotic rally cry, a call to arms. This commercial is so good on so many levels. I like the background music. I like the imagines. I like the homage to the WWII Jeeps. It's as if there's something about Jeep that's intrinsically, existentially American.

As a car though, I can't help but wonder what it would be like if Chrysler dropped the Hemi, and instead equipped it with a direct injection version of its new Pentastar V-6 and a hybrid assist. As an option, Chrysler could equip it with a decent sized V-6 common rail diesel.

Hmm...if Chrysler did that it would have a German platform, and multivalve DOHC V-6 hybrid and a diesel V-6 with a nicely finished interior...it would have a VW Touareg.

Some day all will bow at the Altar of Wolfsburg!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Love the commercial.

If I was in the market for a vehicle like this, I would take a look at the GGC just based on this commercial. I'd love to see if it was as good as I'd want it to be.

The fact that I don't EVER see myself in the market for a vehicle like this is a moot point.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 7 2010, 06:29 PM
How do you know what people use their trucks for? Are you the guy who sees one person in a Tahoe and simply assumes that person commutes 35+ miles each way, lives alone, and has never towed anything?
Probably because I know at least 15 current and former owners and none of them have ever been off road. What would you presume the percentage of people that go offroad is? Less than 10% ? Less than 1% ? How many SUV drivers are some 100 pound lady hauling the kids?

Count how many SUV's you see in the city with a winch on the front and get back to me. Towing, or driving down a dirt road and "off roading" where the ground clearance of which you speak are completely different things.

I suppose you assume my buddy with the 4x4 quad cab hemi ram has ever done anything but haul his own unemployed fat ass around in it? Its six year old and has never had anything bigger than groceries in it, and has never towed anything or been on a dirt road. He bought it because he thought it was cool, no other reason. Which is fine, free country but your assumtion that people always buy these things because they need the capacity for offroading is ludacrous. Some tow, many don't. My sister bought one because "riding up high makes me feel safe." She'd pee herself if she ever went off road and could not tow a jetski with her driving skill. Tons of women who can't even parallel park drive SUV's, suggesting they use them for mud bogging is far fetched.

Yes people buy them for their utility, but tons of people who never use the capacity of the truck like it because they haul kids and stuff and are good in snow.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Jul 8 2010, 11:03 AM
Probably because I know at least 15 current and former owners and none of them have ever been off road. What would you presume the percentage of people that go offroad is? Less than 10% ? Less than 1% ? How many SUV drivers are some 100 pound lady hauling the kids?
My sample group is even smaller, but my wife offroads her jeep almost weekly. Not serious rock crawling, but certainly up trails that a minivan couldn't go..

The point is moot, but IMO so is the question of why buy a GC over a minivan..
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ksdaoski,Jul 6 2010, 05:31 PM
reminds me of the Levi commercials from last year
surprised Favre wasn't driving it