Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I saw one in a dealership, they have a big sunroof (in Limited or Overland trim) and the interior seems nice until you turn the dials and knobs. This is supposed to share the same platform as the new 2011 MB ML ... has anyone taken one out yet?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM

It looks great.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Oh great, another V8 SUV. Just what the world needs. Great creativity Chrysler! I'm so glad we bailed you out so you could crank out yesterday's product tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM

Dont see why a v8 suv should be the product of yesterday. Some people (me included) need the grunt of a v8 for towing boats, campers, car haulers and utility trailers. IMO, its more dariing these days to build a real suv than another damn watered down crossover. In this months C&D the Jeep won against 3 competitors. Seems pretty badass to me. I think its time more people on this site need to give credit where credits due to the domestic manufacturers. They are kicking ass and taking names. Just my .02.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Another V8 SUV? It's not like this is a new model. The GC has been around since what, the 1970s? This is just an update to a core Jeep product line that dates back decades.

I agree that this vehicle isn't going to save Chrysler and they need new cars rather than new SUVs but I suspect this was in the mix because it's a shared Mercedes platform.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM

It's real nice, drives great, interior is on par with the Germans, would have purchased one to pull the racecar hauler but they did not have any in stock with tow package at that time.
We purchased a VW Touareg no regrets, we had a 2004 loved it but the new one is much better and tows 7700 lbs. The Grand Cherokee and VW are the only SUV's that can tow that much weight. They are perfect tow vehicles for those who do not want to drive a pick up.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer,Oct 7 2010, 09:18 PM
Oh great, another V8 SUV. Just what the world needs. Great creativity Chrysler! I'm so glad we bailed you out so you could crank out yesterday's product tomorrow.
+100
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by charlie,Oct 7 2010, 08:53 PM
It's real nice, drives great, interior is on par with the Germans, would have purchased one to pull the racecar hauler but they did not have any in stock with tow package at that time.
We purchased a VW Touareg no regrets, we had a 2004 loved it but the new one is much better and tows 7700 lbs. The Grand Cherokee and VW are the only SUV's that can tow that much weight. They are perfect tow vehicles for those who do not want to drive a pick up.
Love those Touregs but as far as suv's and towing, dont forget about Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, Navigator, Armada, Sequoia. Sweet trailer btw.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked my ex-wife's 2006 JGC Limited. It rode like a crossover, not a truck. Comfortable for a drive from LA to Vegas and back. Size was practical without being huge. Gas mileage sucked but that's because the hemi was wired to my right foot, lol. Interior was plastic-y. Strange things broke (seat controls, center console fasteners, ...) but nothing serious, just annoying. I'd call it a bit unrefined because of road (tire?) and engine noise. No idea how the new edition compares.

I think that tow rating was, um, generous. I think it needed better brakes to be comfortable towing (my Traverse kicks its @ss on that). Didn't the Explorer also offer a large tow capacity?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 PM

I think it's a great looking SUV, but... just a little too generic. The WJ was a POS but it had some much character and Jeep identity to it. The WK less so, and now this new one could basically anything. Still a nice car though, great interior too.

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee