Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2011 Honda Odyssey

Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Jun 19 2010, 06:10 PM
I could care less about the looks, I'd be more concerned as to WTF I did wrong to be driving around a minivan

I see these minivan things blocking the left lane all the time! WTF? You people get you and your 37 rugrats in the right lane and stay there.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jun 21 2010, 02:33 AM
Again with the same old. I left the Honda family so I AM one of these people and I say they are losing it, big time. After owning 7 straight Honda/Acura automobiles and 5 straight Honda motorcycles I'm done with them. I do, however, think they are still making quality lawn equipment to which I still own 2 pieces. Their automotive side got skipped completely on my last purchase as I went to Subaru. On the motorcycle side, Yamaha is looking very attractive these days.

These newer Honda designs are awful and they are even screwing up the Accord these days. They really need to fire their designers and realize that they need at least one performance vehicle in the lineup. Comparing them to Japanese only mfr's, Nissan makes some performance orientated machines, Subaru as well, Mitsu as well, hell even Toyota had the balls to bring their $350k supercar to the market. What is Honda doing? Nothing performance related and they are even screwing up their money makers now. The CRZ, the Crosstour, now this thing.
Tommy, you aren't even remotely interested in an Odyssey. Neither are the majority in here. They're bashing a car that is purchased with far different priorities than style as the top reasons for buying. You've walked away from Honda but it has nothing to do with the Odyssey. Minivans are about features, room, reliability, comfort, and ease of use. Looks are well back in the pack. After all, people still buy Nissan minivans.

In a darker color, the new Odyssey will look just fine. This silver accentuates the line, especially with tinted windows, while a black, plum, dark silver, or blue van will blend it quite well.

I think what people are forgetting is that they don't "get" cars because they aren't looking to buy those cars. Going by looks, none of us would buy any midsize car; they're just not that goodlooking when it comes down to it. We wouldn't buy many (if any) SUVs, either, because they're still not really that good looking. However, given their purpose and intent, they look just fine based on the compromises (and strengths) of the vehicle.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The design looks horrible. It doesn't flow and the thick D pillar and roof part that folds over makes the vehicle look quite top heavy. Fail all around.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Well said JonBoy. I used to think I'd never drive one of these, but after seeing a friend's new Odyssey (a few years back), I was very impressed with the amount of room and they get better mileage compared to similarly sized SUV's. They most certainly don't appeal to the majority here, and being married and thinking about kids in the not too distant future, I can most certainly see the appeal.

They're just incredibly practical for a family and great for trips (moreso than SUV's). Now, would I want to get rid of my s2k for one of these? Hell no. They won't win any style awards either, but as soon as you ride in one with a bunch of people, you will quickly see the appeal. If I had 3 or 4 kids, it's probably the best option.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowTeg,Jun 22 2010, 01:57 PM
Well said JonBoy. I used to think I'd never drive one of these, but after seeing a friend's new Odyssey (a few years back), I was very impressed with the amount of room and they get better mileage compared to similarly sized SUV's. They most certainly don't appeal to the majority here, and being married and thinking about kids in the not too distant future, I can most certainly see the appeal.

They're just incredibly practical for a family and great for trips (moreso than SUV's). Now, would I want to get rid of my s2k for one of these? Hell no. They won't win any style awards either, but as soon as you ride in one with a bunch of people, you will quickly see the appeal. If I had 3 or 4 kids, it's probably the best option.
MEH, I have an Odyssey. Most of my friends were too cool to get minivans. I love my odyssey for family use nothing comes close to the practicality. I think this new one looks like ass. If I had to replace my 07 I'd be looking at the sienna or maybe even "gasp" a grand caravan.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

So you'd buy on looks instead of reliability, fuel economy, resale value, interior room, and features? Because you'll give up at least two of those with your other possible choices.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Gasman,Jun 22 2010, 02:44 PM
MEH, I have an Odyssey. Most of my friends were too cool to get minivans. I love my odyssey for family use nothing comes close to the practicality. I think this new one looks like ass. If I had to replace my 07 I'd be looking at the sienna or maybe even "gasp" a grand caravan.
+1 normally the guys who claim to be too cool for mini-vans are usually the biggest dorks. My wife was super excited about the video. She really liked the features and liked the look of the van.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh ya.. one thing to watch out for in Odysseys are the electronically controlled motor mounts (ya, sounds crazy I know). A friend and long time honda tech was telling me that the top of the line Odyssey model uses these, and one time I was dropping by he was replacing them. They regularly fail (I think it was around 50k miles) and I believe they were a ridiculous 5-600 a pop. Just something to keep an eye out for.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the back of it.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear end looks horrible. I like the front. I am sure it rides well, but it is not going to win any beauty pageants looking like that.

Quick Reply: 2011 Honda Odyssey