Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 240 HP

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjgiuliano,Jun 5 2008, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know if this car will be available as a hatchback and not just a sedan?
It will be vailable in Europe as a 5 door hatch, which will be similar to the Lancer Evolution "Sportback" concept that was first shown at the 2005 Frankfurt Auto Show:

But at least initially, the Lancer Ralliart will be a sedan only in the US. No word on whether the US will ever get the hatch version.

Andrew
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 14 2008, 12:08 PM
How? Why? Subaru already has the Impreza->WRX->STI progression, Mitsu was missing the link between Lancer and EVO, so this fills a needed gap, but I don't see how this is the final "nail in the coffin" for Subaru. Mitsu needs this to fill out the product line.

Aren't these (WRX, STI, Ralliart, EVO) homologation cars? They're made mainly so Mitsu and Subaru can race them in WRC, not because they're necessarily going for sales figures. Understanding that helps explain why the cars are they way they are (and their high prices imo).

Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cravnpup,Jun 5 2008, 10:36 AM
I'll bet it has a smaller turbo and brakes, a cheaper interior, and less agressive suspension tuning. If the tranny could actually hold more than 350 hp, I'd swap out my wrx..
From what I understand, yes, the suspension will be different from Ralliart to EVO. The ralliart will get the same suspension setup as the regular lancer. The turbo and cams are what give the ralliart its lower horsepower rating, but can be directly swapped from the X. The interior will come with, or have the option of the evo X seats...everything else is pretty similar. Another difference is the tranny settings. The ralliart will have two (basically a civilized mode, and a racing mode), the EVO has three settings (the same civilized, and racing mode as the ralliart, but then also a step above the racing mode that is slightly more aggressive).Expect to see a manual tranny a year after the ralliart first comes out though.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jun 5 2008, 10:51 AM
It will be vailable in Europe as a 5 door hatch, which will be similar to the Lancer Evolution "Sportback" concept that was first shown at the 2005 Frankfurt Auto Show:

But at least initially, the Lancer Ralliart will be a sedan only in the US. No word on whether the US will ever get the hatch version.

Andrew
Latest most production-ready version of that concept from the 2008 Geneva Autoshow, the prototype-s:

Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle,Jun 5 2008, 11:12 AM
From what I understand, yes, the suspension will be different from Ralliart to EVO. The ralliart will get the same suspension setup as the regular lancer. The turbo and cams are what give the ralliart its lower horsepower rating, but can be directly swapped from the X. The interior will come with, or have the option of the evo X seats...everything else is pretty similar. Another difference is the tranny settings. The ralliart will have two (basically a civilized mode, and a racing mode), the EVO has three settings (the same civilized, and racing mode as the ralliart, but then also a step above the racing mode that is slightly more aggressive).Expect to see a manual tranny a year after the ralliart first comes out though.
Automobile.com mentioned that the AWD system was sourced from the Evo IX. I don't know if that means the suspension setup will be similar as well or if it is merely the diffs and electronics. Hopefully the former.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I would buy that in a heartbeat if it were a hatch, but IMHO the sedan is fugly.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror,Jun 5 2008, 11:32 AM
Automobile.com mentioned that the AWD system was sourced from the Evo IX. I don't know if that means the suspension setup will be similar as well or if it is merely the diffs and electronics. Hopefully the former.
I'm not absolutely sure about the exact details. From what I'm told though (from a very good source), the suspension will be the same as the regular lancer, but the car will have the rest of the EVO X drivetrain.

Either way, this is going to be a great buy! From what I hear, pricing will be starting right around $24,xxx. That's a lot of performance for that price. I am excited to see what the Hyundai Genesis can do as well. Lots of information floating around about its 3.8L V6, but not so much about its I4 turbo variation.

Lots of great affordable cars coming out soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Automobile's comparison with the IX has to do with the rear diff. The Ralliart will not have the X's Active Yaw Control between the rear wheels, but a setup similar to the IX's.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM

That is basically what my source told me too.

What he said was the EVO IX and EVO X have a similar active center differential. Compared to the JDM EVO IX, they have a similar AYC with active front and rear differentials as well. The physical components are brand new, but still similar in design. So the lancer ralliart drivetrain functions similar to that of the US EVO IX, but using EVO X parts without some of the fancier bits like AYC.

The Ralliart will have the Lancer GTS suspension compenents.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what's with all these lancer looking almost exactly the same. gosh..

Quick Reply: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 240 HP