Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2009 911 facelift revealed--DSG

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanman,Jun 11 2008, 07:28 PM
I am to a certain point stuck on performance numbers. Again, I think with a reputation of Porsche, and the fact that you pay what you do, you should have superior performance. Call it what you like, but that is my belief.

Nothing wrong with what you are saying. Not a hp, or # fixation, it's an overall (that includes hp) performance fixation.
It amaze me how you keep saying "it not about the hp...................." it the only thing you been complaining about Porsche since you started posting. How arrogant does one has to be? I'm sure everyone reading this post will point this out also that lack of hp is all you been mentioning.

I think it's ridiculous to have a belief that just because you spent more you should have superior performance. 20 years ago that would have been true, but not in this modern competitive day where hp is easy to obtain by anyone. Like I said before, you can't dislike anything about Porsche if you want to, but stop running around believing spending more mean you should directly have superior performance, because those days are over.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 12 2008, 07:05 AM
They do. You can buy a Turbo, a GT2, or a Carrera GT.

Oh, you can't afford one? Porsche doesn't care. They'll make boat loads of money selling them to people who can.

If you want a 500+hp Porsche, you gotta pay to play. I'm a cheap bastard so I have a near 500hp modded Vette for around $50k.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Jun 12 2008, 09:14 AM
not necessarily.

Have you heard of a car called the 240z? Not all Nissan's become worthless.
The 240Z is a classic. I don't know if the 350Z will be as highly regarded 30 years from now. I doubt if the G37 will even be remembered. I bet the Cayman, Boxster, 911, Carrera GT will all still be desirable old, used sports cars.

By the way, '72/'73 240Zs can be had for a song nowadays. A little rough at 5K, real clean at 10K.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fanman,Jun 11 2008, 09:28 PM
If they all of sudden dropped the steel frame & made it aluminum & dropped it 200-300 lbs. I would be more than happy. But that is not happening anytime soon.

Also, you have to remember that the 290 hp was pushing 3100 lbs., vs. the 333 (3400-3500 lbs), or the 420 (3800-3900). If a car is light, I have no issue with that at all. It's not all about hp, but they didn't do anything to lighten the car. Performance never improved from the next model transition. It is not the hp #, but the performance #'s. It is ONE aspect of the car.
Ever hear of a Cayman S? It outdoes the NSX on both weight and HP - 295hp, <3000 lbs.

And why do you compare the Corvette to the 911? You already stated that you wouldn't buy one, so it's a moot point how it performs.

Sounds to me like you really want a 911, but don't want to pay the 911 premium for whatever level of performance would make you happy. Buying used is always an option, too...

The 911 has a heritage that's unmatched my any other model, and if you want to join the club, you have to pay extra for it.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Luckyaze,Jun 12 2008, 06:00 PM
It amaze me how you keep saying "it not about the hp...................." it the only thing you been complaining about Porsche since you started posting. How arrogant does one has to be? I'm sure everyone reading this post will point this out also that lack of hp is all you been mentioning.

I think it's ridiculous to have a belief that just because you spent more you should have superior performance. 20 years ago that would have been true, but not in this modern competitive day where hp is easy to obtain by anyone. Like I said before, you can't dislike anything about Porsche if you want to, but stop running around believing spending more mean you should directly have superior performance, because those days are over.
Again, stop with the name calling asshole. If I have an opinion it is no less/more important. Calling someone arrogant for having an opinion, must mean that you are an asshole for having yours.

And you keep missing the parts of my posts that you quote that says that I am more than happy with the other aspects of the Porsche. Because they are competitive. In braking, handling, etc, the chassis has been "over built, embodiment of engineering" I said I love in car in all aspects, EXCEPT one. You keep missing that point.

I think it's ridiclous that you should not expect a car that is roughly double/triple the price, with a sports car heritage of a company like Porsche to not outperform other car companies in all aspects. For the hundreth time, they have the technology readily available, they just won't put it on their base model, or they want to charge you an arm & leg for it as an extra. You have your opinion, I have mine.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRat,Jun 12 2008, 08:18 AM
If we are talking about Porsche engines, the one I want is the GT1 block 3.6 (TT, GT2, GT3 etc.)
I don't disagree with this at all. Like I said, either the 3.8 L or the GT3 3.6 L would suit me just fine.

Like I said in the "if" lineup. The 3.8 L in the base Carrera, and the GT3 motor in the Carrera S would have been an awesome lineup.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM

okay guys...you've convinced me.

I'm gonna go buy the best of both worlds...a 996 Turbo

(but seriously, I am looking at maybe buying one)
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jun 12 2008, 12:05 PM
Ever hear of a Cayman S? It outdoes the NSX on both weight and HP - 295hp, <3000 lbs.

And why do you compare the Corvette to the 911? You already stated that you wouldn't buy one, so it's a moot point how it performs.

The 911 has a heritage that's unmatched my any other model, and if you want to join the club, you have to pay extra for it.
in one to two years, I'm likely upgrading to a faster car. I like Porsche but the Vette (C7) will have more power, more refinement, and overall will be a better car than the C6 (in its own right a very nice car). That's gonna be a hard argument to chose something twice as expensive and can only offer "heritage".
I can easily afford either one but shelling out another $50K to get less performance doesn't appeal to me.
Vette has plenty of heritage.
I'll test drive both then but the car from Stuttgart better impress the heck out of me.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2020,Jun 12 2008, 04:41 PM
in one to two years, I'm likely upgrading to a faster car. I like Porsche but the Vette (C7) will have more power, more refinement, and overall will be a better car than the C6 (in its own right a very nice car). That's gonna be a hard argument to chose something twice as expensive and can only offer "heritage".
I can easily afford either one but shelling out another $50K to get less performance doesn't appeal to me.
Vette has plenty of heritage.
I'll test drive both then but the car from Stuttgart better impress the heck out of me.
Yeah right, your woman is going to have you driving an Accord just like all the other Asian/Indian's in the bay area.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Jun 12 2008, 06:41 PM
I like Porsche but the Vette (C7) will have more power, more refinement, and overall will be a better car than the C6 (in its own right a very nice car).
Don't count on the C7 having more power! Given rising CAFE hurdles and gas prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see hp going down in the next gen, w/ a greater emphasis on weight reduction to achieve performance goals.

Quick Reply: 2009 911 facelift revealed--DSG