Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2008 Mugen Si pricing announced...

Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda is overcharging this car. It is ridiculous that $7k for those cosmetic things. And those aero kits are very ugly. Just bring the JDM Civic TYPE R and Civic Mugen RR.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Oct 24 2007, 02:38 PM
Like they did with the minivan Civic Si?
They're only making 1000 of these. If you don't think they'll unload them, you're crazy.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Oct 24 2007, 02:56 PM
They're only making 1000 of these. If you don't think they'll unload them, you're crazy.
So are you going to be one of the 1000 to put down $30k for a Civic? I rather buy another S2k for that price.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 PM

This might be the most overpriced car I have seen in my lifetime.

Can anyone find me a brand new car that is-was more overpriced than the Mugen Civic SI over the last 20 years?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The insurance is gonna be wicked crazy on that Civic...those things are gonna be stolen LEFT and freakin' RIGHT. Wow...the parts alone are gonna be in super-hot demand...

My wife has a Civic coupe...and it's a great little car...but we paid right around $17k... I can't imagine forking over 30 grand for a Civic...wow.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM

Just got my daily driver serviced today and saw a better alternative to the 2008 Mugen: VW R32! Even considering the price differential...Wow!

Awesome build quality!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Former Moderator

Indeed...the build quality of the R32 (and you just gotta looooooooove the series number on the steering wheel)...but the reliability of VW has me concerned. I was considering the VW Passat and lots of folks who have owned a VW have told me to stay away.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by airgate,Oct 26 2007, 03:45 PM
Indeed...the build quality of the R32 (and you just gotta looooooooove the series number on the steering wheel)...but the reliability of VW has me concerned. I was considering the VW Passat and lots of folks who have owned a VW have told me to stay away.
I have one, a 2002 model which I got in December of 2001, with just over 90k on the clock. It is pretty well equipped with leather, luxury pack, upgraded stereo and a manual. It is the 1.8 turbo. It has been Japanese like in its reliability.

The new 2.0 FSI direct injection is an even better engine. The VR 6 to me seems a touch superfluous, and is not that much smoother.

A 2.0 FSI, with a 6 speed manual, luxury package and Dynaudio stereo would likely have a suggested retail of about $32,000.00 to $32,500.00. It is not a sports sedan per se, but I like the 6 speed. (Pssst...if you are interested in a Passat sports sedan...wait for the Passat R36 with DSG and the Haldex awd.)

The VW product line (and Geman cars in general) is generally less reliable than Japanese products, especially Honda. But part of this problem I think relates to the fact that service is generally more expensive than other comparably priced Japanese products, and the cars really need to be maintained in tip-top condition and with regular maintenance.

People may find that the intial purchase price, after haggling, is not too much higher than a Japanese product, but then they are faced with incrementally higher maintenance costs. Then some owners defer maintenance and voila...poor reliability.

Some of the biggest selling points to me in a daily driver are design (I love that VW Bauhaus look, but admittedly the new products are a tad busier), build quality and interior design.

VW's biggest problem, however, is its dealer network...the phrase customer service is just lost on a lot of dealers for some reason. I am lucky...when I have to replace my daily driver, I may consider another VW product because of the dealer.

I am waiting for the new Passat 4 door Coupe before I get another car.

But more to the point...it would be a big leap for me to even consider a Mugen Si even just compared to a GTI or a Jetta GLI.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 PM

For my experiences (or rather my friends (numerous)) VW has not been good to them lol ..

But back to the Mugen Si .. they will sell people. All 1000 w/o any issues ..whY?

because some retard with money (or mommy's money) will want a super "rare" care even though its a civic .. i guarantee you that.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Former Moderator

I'm not doubting they'll sell...hell, there's only gonna be 1,000...so they'll be sold pretty quick...but I'm also guessing they'll be stolen just as quick...you can't put a car that rare...with parts that are like GOLD on the streets...

Think about it...the parts on the Mugen Civic will fit any of the other (how many sold??) Civics out there... It's a real shame, actually.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mugen Si pricing announced...