Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ugly and I hate sucide doors. The interior is simply horrid. I hope that this thing will be a LOT cheaper than a base 4Runner.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve c,Jan 5 2006, 06:00 PM
2 door 4runner is really all it is.
What makes you say that? Its a very different vehicle, it doesn't even share the same platform. The 4Runner is a not-so-capable SUV which can't go offroading like the FJ. The suspension on the FJ v. 4Runner are very different as well. Have you seen the footage of the FJ rockclimbing? Pretty impressive. I assure you that the FJ is no 4Runner, it can actually go offroad and it's quite a bit cheaper in price. Oh, the FJ isn't a 2 door, it has 5 doors.. Two front, two smaller suicide doors for the rear passengers, and the rear door..

Pricing is supposed to start at $21,710. Standard is the 4.0 Litre 239hp V6 also offered in the upcoming Rav4. Not to shabby imo.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes you say that? Its a very different vehicle, it doesn't even share the same platform.
Yeah it does. It uses the same platform as the 4runner, land cruiser and GX470. The motor, 4wd system(s), diff lock etc are all straight out of the 4runner too.

Have you seen the footage of the FJ rockclimbing? Pretty impressive. I assure you that the FJ is no 4Runner, it can actually go offroad and it's quite a bit cheaper in price
4runners are great off road too. The only thing this gets you is better approach and departure angles.

Standard is the 4.0 Litre 239hp V6 also offered in the upcoming Rav4. Not to shabby imo.
The new RAV4 uses a 3.5 liter V6 with 269hp.

Pricing is supposed to start at $21,710
Estimated prices are 25 grand +. You can get a 4runner starting at 27.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the prices I've seen seem closer to what Douglas mentioned.

Question: Does the 4runner have a 6-speed option? (I've never been interested in the 4runner, so I never bothered looking)

I also read about being able to start the car without the use of the clutch (so you don't have to release the brake peddle and play footsie in mid climb)...do the other toyota trucks have this feature too?

I can't remember the details...there quite a few "small differences"...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Steve..

The 4Runner doesn't share the platform with the Landcruiser, where did you get that info? I know that the Landcruiser and the LX470 are the same, but it does not share with the GX nor the 4Runner from what I know. I know the powertrain and motor are the same, but that doesn't mean it's sharing the same platform.
As for the Rav4, my mistake, yes it's a 269hp 3.5L V6, you got me there.

As for pricing, your estimates are off. Press release below:

01/04/2006 Torrance, CA

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for the all-new 2007 FJ Cruiser sport utility vehicle (SUV) and all-new 2007 Yaris liftback and sedans. Additionally, the all-new Yaris Sedan and sporty S Sedan made their world debut at a press conference today at the 2006 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

The all-new FJ Cruiser SUV was created to give customers the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. The overwhelmingly positive response to the FJ Cruiser concept, developed over three years ago, prompted Toyota to launch a production version of the SUV. The all-new production model retains much of the design details of the original concept.

Chiseled from nearly a half-century tradition of tough off-road performance provided by the legendary FJ 40, the original 4Runner, and 4x4 compact pickups, the FJ Cruiser was developed as a capable and affordable off-roader aimed specifically at young buyers with active outdoor lifestyles.

The FJ Cruiser takes on an authentic functional form, yet adopts several styling cues from the original FJ 40. Some of these cues are notable on the front end by its wide grille with "Toyota" logo badging, round headlights, and offset combination lamps. Additional inspiration can be found through its upright windshield and white cap roof. Traits are also noticeable in the rear with wrapping rear corner windows. The modern shape of the FJ Cruiser is woven into a compact package set on a wide track, producing enhanced stability and a powerful stance.

Power is supplied by a 4.0-liter V6 engine, which generates 239 horsepower and 278 lb-ft. of torque. The engine is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission on both 4x2 and part-time 4x4 configurations and an available six-speed manual on full-time 4x4 models.

The five-passenger FJ Cruiser rides on a modified Prado (overseas Land Cruiser configuration) platform and features 17-inch steel wheels and four-wheel disc brakes. Just like all of the SUV's in Toyota's line-up, the FJ Cruiser will be equipped with the STAR SAFETY SYSTEM
Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 PM

The 4Runner doesn't share the platform with the Landcruiser
Yeah ... it does dude. The Landcruiser Prado platform is adapted for the 4runner/GX and now this ...

You didnt really think they invented a new car in 3 years using none of the existing bits and pieces did you? Again, this is really just a 2 door 4runner with a shittier interior. It should compete well with the Nissan though.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:50 PM

And I get my data sent to me directly from Toyota for my line of work, so I'm not just hearing this from some noname source online.

From my data, 4Runner and GX share platforms. The Landcruiser/LX470 and now the FJ are on a completely different platform. And from reading the offroad tests for the 4Runner, it is not nearly as capable offroad as the FJ. It can do some light duty offroading, but the FJ is more in the Wranglers territory.

Now I don't expect you to see eye to eye with me on this, since in the past, we have always butt heads, but that is the information I have. If you have any evidence to the contrary, by all means, post it here.

And I didn't say that they weren't using any existing parts, but it's no 4Runner. Just because it shares the drivetrain does not make it the same. I mean look at all the Nissans, all the cars that use the VQ. Does that mean the Altima is the same as the Z since it shares the same 3.5L motor?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Again -- and I hope for the last time -- they all share the same platform.

At the Toyota display, the FJ Cruiser was presented as if it were still a concept car, looking like a Bob-the-Builder knockoff off a Hummer. Toyota dealers, however, expect it to be in their showrooms in the near future. It's built on the 4Runner platform and is a retro design of the original FJ Land Cruiser
Based on 4Runner underpinnings, the production FJ Cruiser is remarkably unchanged from the well-received and highly cartoonish concept that debuted at the 2003 Detroit auto show. Toyota revealed the exterior prototype of the production vehicle at this year's Chicago show in February, hailing it as a return to the roots of SUVs.
Regarding the off-road bit. As someone who does quite a bit of the stuff -- and has owned a 4runner neither of these two trucks is an extreme off-road vehicle, but the capabilities are similar. The advantage of increased approach departure is really the only thing the FJ has going for it.

Underneath it is a 4runner. Same motor, same driveline, same diffs. I'm not sure why you want it to be different -- but it isn't.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Jan 5 2006, 01:46 PM
this is really just a 2 door 4runner with a shittier interior
How is that a bad thing? I read that as: lighter, more maneuverable and without a bunch of useless luxury crap I don't want. A proper low range, which the 4runner and GX don't have, combined with the locking centre diff make it a serious off roader, which the 4 runner and GX almost are but, alas, really aren't quite.

I'm almost surprised they didn't build a stripped down 2 door version of this platform form the beginning. We do have a 2 door Prado over here in the ME market, but it doesn't get the 4 litre v6 or low range, only a 2.4 L Camry engine (only the 5 door has the 4.0).

About the only thing I'm not happy about on the FJ is the white roof but I suppose it could be painted.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Ok, I just found more data.. the Landcruiser Prado is the GX here which I guess isn't the same as the Landcruiser that we have here. I was correct about the non prado Landcruiser not being on the same platform as the 4Runner hence my confusion.

Landcruiser Prado= GX470=4Runner which to my dismay is the modified for the FJ

Landcruiser=LX470 which is separate.

My apologies, I wasn't able to differentiate between the Landcruiser and the Landcruiser Prado until I saw the JDM model.

Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser