Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2007 350z

Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 21 2006, 10:24 AM
If you don't like the S2000 anymore, move on! How difficult is that?

Honda is somewhat limited in how much more power they can make w/ a small, NA 4 cylinder w/o tossing out cost/reliability considerations.

Worrying about how it will match up against another car in a street race is dumb, enjoy your car for what it is.
Probably not very difficult at all. I doubt anyone feeling that way about their car needed that encouragement to make that kind of choice.

It's understandable people might start to get a little bored with the S2000, and wish there was an updated version to choose from. And I don't mean the 04-06 models, which are really just "refreshed", not really updated much.

But for the what I want, the S2000 is still about the only thing for the money. I think I'd have to spend quite a lot more for something I'd like just as much..

Although that new Z does interest me.. Do I really need 315 hp? Nope. But it sounds like fun..
Old 09-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just keep adding power to the 350 to make up for the garbage car they've made and to inflate the ego's of the already overly egotistical owners of said garbage cars.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by harshfury,Sep 21 2006, 10:14 AM
You know what....I'm not gonna argue with the whole "the 350z is too heavy" argument anymore. Guess what....you're right, it is too heavy for what it is. But I want someone here to admit that their S2000 is also too heavy. What does it weigh? 28XX? my Z weighs 32XX......so roughly 400lbs more, but you get 60 extra hp and 100 extra ft-lbs or torque.
Sure, sure - in fact, there have been plenty of "What would you change on the S2000" threads which generated comments of "Make it lighter." My personal vote goes to 240 hp and 2400 lbs. Alas, it's not to be.

In the meantime, that extra 400 lbs makes a rather significant difference in the feel of the car.

Lighter cars can be had, but they're either too lacking in power (Miata) or too expensive (Noble.) The Elise is the only true upgrade from the S2000 with a reasonable price tag, IMO.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Sep 21 2006, 10:35 AM
Sure, sure - in fact, there have been plenty of "What would you change on the S2000" threads which generated comments of "Make it lighter." My personal vote goes to 240 hp and 2400 lbs. Alas, it's not to be.

In the meantime, that extra 400 lbs makes a rather significant difference in the feel of the car.

Lighter cars can be had, but they're either too lacking in power (Miata) or too expensive (Noble.) The Elise is the only true upgrade from the S2000 with a reasonable price tag, IMO.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 21 2006, 07:24 AM

harshfury, the reason the S2000 weighs what it does is largely attributable to its very stiff chassis, which requires extra metal. To me, it's a worthy tradeoff not to deal w/ cowl shake and a noodle for a chassis.
That sounds fair with me. The point I was trying to make is that, from a purely performance view...almost all cars could be made lighter. But, you would be sacrificing a lot in the way of comfort.

I have no doubt that any weight that the S has is there for a reason; I believe the same to be true with the Z. It's not like they had a 2600lb car and then decided to throw bags of cement in.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Berlina#2290,Sep 21 2006, 05:27 AM
yeah honda really pisses me off sometimes. i mean. i drive a s2000 a SPORTS car, even though its not a drag racer, i still have to worry about the new MAZDASPEED 3 and other commuters. even the new frikkin impala ss has 300+hp if you bog a launch you can FORGET ABOUT IT!! wtf. how gay. the s has been around for 7 years. how bout stepping the game up a bit.
While, I wish the S2000 had added more horsepower, you could just not be a 'homo' (since you used the word gay) yourself and not street race. Grow some sac and be an adult. Street racing is for the uber l4m3.

As far as the Z being too heavy? says whom? It has some issues on tighter tracks against the S2000, but it will pull on high HP tracks, and it is more planted through high speed sweepers. It needs a little help to be a good track/street car, but not that much. Stop acting like it's an H2 or something.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by harshfury,Sep 21 2006, 01:26 PM
I have no doubt that any weight that the S has is there for a reason; I believe the same to be true with the Z. It's not like they had a 2600lb car and then decided to throw bags of cement in.
The 350Z is excessively heavy partially b/c it's built on a shared platform that is also used on sedans, coupes, and SUV's. It's sad that the 350Z weighs more than a Corvette despite being a smaller car w/ a smaller engine, less creature comforts, and no removable roof!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 AM

You guys aren't looking at the historical picture of Nissan's Z cars. Zs have been rather heavy since 1978. The 90s 300ZX was an absolute pig (but still nice and fun). The 350 is actually about 3-400 lbs lighter than the Z32 300, and is more capable in part because of it.

Ya ya I know Nissan said it was "getting back to the Z car roots" with the 350, but they still wanted mass-market appeal, and they obviously hit the nail on the head, because people buy them in droves. I'd love one myself, heavy or not.

Perhaps it could be lighter, but then again there's not much like it in its price range other than the RX-8 (which is less powerful) or Mustang (which is just as heavy and slower).

The Z pretty much fits the bill for performance under $30 grand unless you talk roadsters like the Miata (which has no MazdaSpeed version yet) or turbo Solstice/Sky.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by harshfury,Sep 21 2006, 07:14 AM
You know what....I'm not gonna argue with the whole "the 350z is too heavy" argument anymore. Guess what....you're right, it is too heavy for what it is. But I want someone here to admit that their S2000 is also too heavy. What does it weigh? 28XX? my Z weighs 32XX......so roughly 400lbs more, but you get 60 extra hp and 100 extra ft-lbs or torque.

"But that extra power doesn't help through the twisties"....granted. Well another thing that doesn't help through the twisties is mediocre ability. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a great driver, because I'm not....I'm Mediocre...and I'm not saying that you're a bad driver, because you're (presumably) not....you're mediocre. What I am saying is that none of us here can even take full advantage of that precious "400 less lbs".

back on topic:
I was a little bummed when I found out that the '07 would be getting the VQ35HR...even though we don't have any solid details yet. But, I'm not too bummed anymore. If it is vastly improved, I hope the price tag goes up equivalently.

Alot of people have been complaining on this thread about the relatively stagnant nature of the S2000...but I see that as one of its best qualities. If you bought one in 2003 you still have a great car. It's got classic potential written all over it. Yeah it would be cool to see the S evolve. But I think it is equally cool, and a testament to its excellence, that it can maintain a high level of excitement and enthusiasm, even though it has only been mildly re-touched.
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.

Face it: All of those extra "60" horses and 100 extra TQ monsters are weighing you down and you know it.

I'm a pro driver through and through. I've won numerous championships and have my B class, A class and S class licences. I *can* tell the difference in 20 pounds let alone 400 pounds.

j/k

I'd rather drive a 1500lb. car with 300hp than a 3000lb. car with 600hp... Wait I'd drive both and buy a 6000lb. car with 1200hp!!!

j/k again.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
dmz

Originally Posted by harshfury,Sep 21 2006, 07:14 AM

"But that extra power doesn't help through the twisties"....granted. Well another thing that doesn't help through the twisties is mediocre ability. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a great driver, because I'm not....I'm Mediocre...and I'm not saying that you're a bad driver, because you're (presumably) not....you're mediocre. What I am saying is that none of us here can even take full advantage of that precious "400 less lbs".
I think you give yourself more credit than you deserve in your driving skills if you can't tell the difference between cars with 400lb differences. My old M3 weighed in at 3200lb and used to take some of the corner a lot slower before the tires started to loose traction. On the S, I can take those corner much faster and not slide at all. Not to mention that less weight produces less body lean on a streetable suspension.

Quick Reply: 2007 350z