Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 S is out

Old 11-03-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have established that either car can be tuned to fit the owners style of driving... other than that, let's not forget the folks who are releasing the '06 S2000 are the same folks who released the '00. they haven't gone crazy or suddenly become addicted to crack rock... they are making it better overall. I have to assume this because every S2000 I have ever driven offered the same surreal driving experience. Let's relax...
Old 11-03-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Helios8,Nov 2 2005, 04:24 PM
Why would I want the life saved of some stupid, irresponsible shithead who thinks he is a professional race car driver and public roads are his course? People like that are the exact reason stability control should not exist. It serves only endanger everyone on the road by reenforcing poor driving behavior.
That's one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on s2ki.com. Trust me, that's an accomplishment.

Did you not read my post about how things can happen unexpectedly? I could freakin' drive circles around you anywhere on any track, but I was still damn happy when active handling kicked on when my old C5 popped sideways in the blink of an eye due to rock hard tires and very cold road temps.

If someone drives like a total jackass, then traction/stability control will not save them, it will only delay the inevitable.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Nov 3 2005, 06:50 AM
Did you not read my post about how things can happen unexpectedly? I could freakin' drive circles around you anywhere on any track, but I was still damn happy when active handling kicked on when my old C5 popped sideways in the blink of an eye due to rock hard tires and very cold road temps.
Of course your incident was the fault of the tires and the road, not the fault of a driver who was driving too fast for the conditions.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I was out driving on my summer tires on a warm July afternoon when I drove through a chemical spill, turning my tires to stone, and then came around the next turn to find a dry ice spill had just been cleared from the roadway, leaving the pavement temperature below 0 degrees. Thank God for stability control.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 AM

I suppose my initial intentions of this thread doesnt matter much, it seems like my threads always goes awry.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe we should all take the train.

Hey Helios, since you can predict every single unexpected event to every occur while you're out driving, why don't you take out the ABS and airbags out of your car? I mean their stupid safety aids, who the hell needs them?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by nodisguise,Nov 3 2005, 12:48 AM
I have news for you guys. The S2000 is a road car meant to be driven on the streets. NOT A RACE CAR. I object to the softening up because it's making the car less lively/involving/fun on the streets, not because I think it's making it slower on a race track or in an autocross course (which it isn't).
Like I said, everyone is entitled to their preference. At least the term "softening up" is somewhat true (softer rear springs and bar, stiffer front springs). If you have driven both and prefer the AP1 then that's great, especially if you have one! BTW I agree with you about the idiocy of driving at the limit on the street, and personally I find the AP2 to be plenty involving there. There are tweaks like stiffer steering rack bushings, slightly lower EPS boost, a bit more torque out of VTEC which enrich that experience for me.

And yet I've spent enough time driving an AP1 both on the street and in competition to know that these are very minor adjustments. And realistic to know they don't come without tradeoffs- I'm not going to sit here and tell you that a 2000rpm range in VTEC is better than 3000...

I can easily see how someone accustomed to 9000rpm and a quicker steering ratio might miss these, just as I miss some of the above things when I drive an AP1. Yet if I somehow ended up with an AP1 I'm sure I would love it. I am just as sure that if some of the people who deride the AP2 as "watered down" and compare it to Accords and minivans would stop posting in Street Encounters for a week and go out and drive one you would also come to appreciate it. This is why driving my S is so much more fun than reading the internet!

Peter
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hyun83,Nov 3 2005, 09:33 AM
I suppose my initial intentions of this thread doesnt matter much, it seems like my threads always goes awry.
Your initial post was answered correctly in the second post. We expanded on the following post.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoweredByCamry,Nov 3 2005, 09:04 AM
I can easily see how someone accustomed to 9000rpm and a quicker steering ratio might miss these, just as I miss some of the above things when I drive an AP1. Yet if I somehow ended up with an AP1 I'm sure I would love it. I am just as sure that if some of the people who deride the AP2 as "watered down" and compare it to Accords and minivans would stop posting in Street Encounters for a week and go out and drive one you would also come to appreciate it. This is why driving my S is so much more fun than reading the internet!

Peter

I'd love to know if these people claiming the 04+ is watered down actually RACE it...

If you haven't taken it to a track/auto-x then you're really talking out of you're ass.

I'd love to have a "watered down" car that was easier to drive at the limit.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 AM

well thats the truth half of everyone bad mouthing probly hasn't raced there car, and for two almost def hasn't raced a ap1 then ap2 back to back. I just happened to enjoy the drive of the ap1 more, although i do like the bumpers better on the ap2. Theres always a trade off.
Bottom line is its all up to the person who bought the car.... if you want a ap1 buy one if not buy the ap2, the changes are so minimal... come on.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by S2k03,Nov 3 2005, 11:10 AM
Your initial post was answered correctly in the second post. We expanded on the following post.
yeah, expanded on something irrelevant. But I dont care, I was just stating the obvious. I just thought it was pretty funny.

Quick Reply: 2006 S is out