Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 S is out

Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

You all knew I'd bring up the Z06 at some point.

Anyway, is the Z06 less of a car because it has traction control and active handling? Hell no. As long as it can be completely turned off, I'll welcome every single electronic driving aid. Good for when the wife drives the car.

When I had my C5, I learned to drive it very fast on the track with the active handling on. As soon as I got comfortable and smooth with the power and handling, I turned all the aids off and got even faster.

Point being, I may not be typing here if the Vette didn't have some of those electronic aids. There was one situation that still freaks me out to this day. I was driving down the road here in Dallas, it was COLD, like 15 degrees. Tires were like a brick and an E46 M3 blew past me. I drop down to 4th gear around 65mph which I though wasn't too low of a gear and switched lanes and nailed the gas. The car IMMEDIATELY went sideways at least 45 degrees. I immediately countersteered, but to this day, I think if I didn't have active handling on, I would have lost control completely. It just happened very unexpectedly and very fast.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amit,Nov 2 2005, 11:44 AM
YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 400HP CAR NEEDING TRACTION CONTROLL AND A 2.0 4CYL NEEDING TRACTION CONTROLL! Especially if the power is at 8000RPM.

It's not the TC that bothers me so much, it's the drive by wire. Now the car has been in production for six years, if Honda should do anything to it, they should juice it up some more. Not increase the engine displacement with the same HP, and change the lights a bit. it seems to be it's slowly becoming a Z3.
have you ever driven an e46 m3 with sport mode on?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=pantyraider,Nov 2 2005, 04:55 PM] Actually if you had a clue you'd realize most of the changes made to the 04+ S2000 made it faster and better for daily driving. Lower rear roll center, reduced bumpsteer, less toe , stronger diff, more torque...those are all good things.

But, it still doesn't rev to 9k y0!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:44 PM

wow, a lot of people are getting upset about my OPINION on traction control. well guys, dont mind me, buy your watered-down S's. im simply stating my opinion. i guess youll need the help controlling the 'twitchy' rear end.
-Chris
Old 11-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nalVle,Nov 1 2005, 07:48 PM
i didnt know these were on the new s2000 - im very upset. since the release of the s2000, all theyve done is make it more 'liveable' for americans (i.e. - more torque/lower redline, more shoulder room for 04-06s, softer suspension compared to AP1s) and now traction control?! thank god i own an 00. whats next, giving the s2000 a 3 liter V6 with 240hp and 265 torque with a 6k redline, and a backseat?
-Chris
truer words were never spoken
Old 11-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Axel6,Nov 2 2005, 11:02 AM
I guess Ferrari's and Porsches don't make the cut for some of you as "sports cars."
It's not really a matter of sportscarness.

Many consider the Ferrari F40 the most fun, rewarding, and involving Ferrari ever, and It has no electronic aids at all.

Traction control in many modern cars, including Ferraris has been demonstrated to slow the car down a little bit while making them easier to drive. In general, with traction control you give up some feel, and a little bit of speed, for a little more driveability, and idiot proofing.

Amit has a good point. His distinction between traction control in a 400hp car, and in a 240 HP car with ~155lbs of torque is an important one. Traction control in a 400hp can definitely save your ass if you're less careful than you should be, but you have to do something pretty stupid to get saved by traction control in a 240 hp car.

As long as you can turn it off, though, it doesn't bother me. The few pounds it will add are worth it if Honda sells some more of these. They deserve to be rewarded for sticking their neck out and making the S2000 at all, and it would be nice if other car manufacturers followed suit. The "watering down" doesn't bother me as long as there are '00 models in good condition around for me to pick up should my current '00 blow up or something.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Nov 2 2005, 11:55 AM
Actually if you had a clue you'd realize most of the changes made to the 04+ S2000 made it faster and better for daily driving. Lower rear roll center, reduced bumpsteer, less toe , stronger diff, more torque...those are all good things.

But, it still doesn't rev to 9k y0!
Everything said here is true and a fact. AP2's have proven to be faster around a track and in a straight line by comparable or equal drivers. Everyone says the Suspension is softer, mind you, softer suspension makes for better handling as long as the softer suspension isn't bottoming out. And FYI, the front was made stiffer by 7% in the front and softer by 10% in 04. When 04's dropped, many magazine editors were given a chance to drive AP1's and AP2's back to back, the AP2's proved to be faster and better handling. In 2006, no changes have been made to be faster or handle better, therefore, in 2006 Honda went the wrong direction with their PERFORMANCE vehicle.

Another FYI, the AP2's recieved more shoulder room in 04 to allow more heavily bolstered Racing Seats. In yo Face Byatches.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by john hood,Nov 2 2005, 07:00 AM
If you are a great driver or at the track and want to turn it off then you have the option. If you are not, it can save your life.
Why would I want the life saved of some stupid, irresponsible shithead who thinks he is a professional race car driver and public roads are his course? People like that are the exact reason stability control should not exist. It serves only endanger everyone on the road by reenforcing poor driving behavior.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=nalVle,Nov 1 2005, 07:48 PM]i didnt know these were on the new s2000 - im very upset.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Nov 2 2005, 06:39 PM
Another FYI, the AP2's recieved more shoulder room in 04 to allow more heavily bolstered Racing Seats. In yo Face Byatches.
do you have proof from honda of this statement? im not necessarily doubting you, but i doubt thats the sole reason, or even one of the main reasons why they increased shoulder room. maybe im wrong though.
-Chris

Quick Reply: 2006 S is out