Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 Mustang Cobra

Old 02-23-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it, but I do not think that's the real picture.

As for body kits, I prefer the Roush kit better then the Saleen. JMO.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NS2000X' date='Feb 23 2005, 09:38 AM
Back to Mustangs
I snapped a couple of shots of the Saleen Mustang at the Toronto Auto Show. That not very cerimoniously just lined up in a narrow space (read hard to shoot with thousands of people around):

haha the front end looks just like the gone in 60 seconds mustang.. Back end doesn't look too bad though... It is all very retro though... a little tooo retro... but its all good..
Old 02-23-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless Ford does something to improve quality, lower the weight (say, 3200 lbs or less) and improve driving dynamics, I would NOT buy one.

Appearance only goes so far with me.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:20 AM

saw a saleen on the southbound 5 a week ago. It looked ok. but it was getting dark outside so i didn't get a great look at it. not a bad looking car overall..
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 AM

for the gentleman that said the previous generation Cobra has recalls.. he needs to do his homework better, since Ford hasn't issued a recall, nor can you go to alldata or nhtsa and find any recalls for it.

reliablity seems to be an issue with the majority of Honda owners, I've owned one Honda, a 2002 S2000 that I watched roll off the truck. It was very reliable till about 35600 miles, then the check engine light came on.. after I traded it in on a 03 Cobra the check engine light came back on, and the Ford dealer that I traded it in at had to take it to a Honda dealer 4 or 5 times to get the problem fixed. I left the area where it was traded in (Maine) so I don''t know if the problem was ever fixed or not.. I'm just glad that I got rid of it before those major problems came up since it was out of warranty and would have ended up costing me major money.

Also, except for 1 Ford, (a 92 Taurus SHO) the other Fords I've owned have been very reliable.. that would include a 94 Ranger, 97 Cobra, 01 Explorer and now a 03 Cobra.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM

I have owned 2 mustangs in my life and my current 01 S2000. My personal experience was that the mustangs were not very fast stock, but very easy to modify. Then after about 50k miles they started to fall apart (rust, gasket leaks, burning oil, lost overdrive). The S2000 I've had for 2 years with minor mods (gears, intake, vafc), no problems and no rust. In fact I believe it has an unlimited rust warranty.

In terms of long-term reliability from my experience is that My s2000 is a better built and more reliable car than either mustang I owned. I personally think Ford builds their cars to last around 100k miles and Toyota and Honda build them to last 200k miles. No proof of this, just makes sense based on when things start going bad on my various cars. People pay a premium for Japanese cars vs Americans, but hope they will last longer. People get a lot of short-term bang for the buck from the mustangs, but very few of them will get to 100k miles without major problems. Look at the depreciation of Mustangs vs. S2000. If the Mustang was a long-term winner, then it would hold its resale. But, comparing used values on Kelly Blue Book the mustang gt convert. depreciates 5% more per year than the S2000. So, over a 10 year span that would give it about half the life span, which I think is about accurate.

So, regardless of styling and looks because they are a little bit subjective; if you want to build a drag car that you may own reliably for 50k-60k miles go with a stang, if you want a nimble handling and long-term reliable sports car, go with the Honda.
Just my 2Cents
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Also, in regards to no Ford recalls, that's not quite true. In going to www.automotive.com you can see that there have been several mustang related recalls. Parking brake in 2000, seat belts in 1999, speed control in 1999, and fuel system leak in 1997.

Now most of these are fairly minor. A bad seatbelt is only important if you crash your car and who would do that. A faulty parking brake is only important if you don't put your car in gear when parked on a hill or if you want to do a sweet 180 spinout with this brake. The Speed Controller is only important if you don't want the accelerator to stick and crash you into that upcoming semi. And the fuel system leak is only important if you have some sort of spark to ignite that fuel and burn you and your car to ashes.

So, just some minor issues, but all in all a pretty well built auto.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by esracer,Feb 22 2005, 08:27 AM
Ford had the exploading gas tank problem
Myth. A later NHTSA study that actually looked at the numbers showed that the Ford Pinto was actually safer than other similarly sized cars. Pintos just happened to get the press, probably because there were a lot of them.

And some of the other manufacturers' fixes to that PR problem (because it wasn't an actual engineering problem) were just as bad - for example, GM started putting gas tanks over the rear axle, which meant that usable trunk space virtually disappeared.

Couple other points regarding other posts: most reliability surveys are based on time, not mileage, so the fact that the S2000 is driven so little probably does play into its high reliability rating.

I do drive mine daily, but that seems to be the exception. And I don't abuse it the way I did with some of my former Detroit made cars - for example, I shovel the driveway, instead of just using the car as a snowplow, like I did with one of my old Trans Ams when the driveway needed clearing.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:30 PM

im really thinkin about this as my next car. Ill probably wait and see if it has the potential of the 03-04 cobra's.