Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 Mustang Cobra

Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jigga009' date='Feb 22 2005, 07:15 PM
I gotta say though, you guys have it really nice weather-wise in California. Shame about the 91 octane cow piss gas though....
or the ridiculous gas prices...or the incredibly high car theft rate...or the mudslides...or Paris Hilton.

My condolences.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Paris Hilton ~ NYC, IIRC
Old 02-22-2005, 06:52 PM

[quote name='no_really' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:36 AM'] yeah, baseless.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
ttb

no_really why don't you STFU and take a statistics course or lookup what sample size means. yea, i'm going to take your word that Ford quality and reliability is top notched when consumer reports, jd power, etc. all consistently rate them below Honda.

seriously, accept reality. i don't go around arguing that Honda makes great drag cars, so don't go around trying to say Fords are reliable.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jigga009' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:26 AM
Also, consider that more mustangs are sold than S2K. With a larger sample out there, more faults are bound to be reported.

If there was just 1 S2K sold out there, and it was garaged 99% of the time, I am sure it would garner 5/5 for reliability as well (although I am sure that Honda vehicles in general are well-put together and reliable, no car out there is perfect.)

I am sure than a Ferrai Enzo would score higher reliabilty than an S2000.... But does that mean that it is more reliable?? I don't think so....
i'm not so sure about that. most honda/acura's are very reliable. I believe very strongly that honda put this same reliability into the s2000. One of the main reasons that drew me to the s2k was the fact that it was a honda.

Ford's are notorious for problems. I went from a '91 civic DX(so reliable and kick myself in the ass to this day for givin it up) to a ford ranger edge 4x4 that ended up being a lemon. Toward the end of my lawsuit I realized i wanted an S. So after i settled i got one. Having that Ford was a terrible experience. geez it was in the shop so much. There were about 2 or 3 recalls performed.

I guess if i wasn't stupid enough for selling the civic i would have never got the lemon. Its sucks having issues with your new truck after 2 months. If i was smart back than i would have bought a Tacoma.

its all good cuz i have a honda now. I bought my S used with 21K on it. I have put 21K on it now. I have had it about a year now. I'll will just cross my fingers and hope my S last for 2000K miles. I'll beat Al Bundy's record of 1 million miles in his old nova. I think it was a nova.

we should tie this thread with the miata thread since they are both under the Ford umbrella. i have known mazda's to be less reliable than honda. i guess since mazda = ford = less reliable. mazda rx-7 = bad ass though. the new cobra looks heavier than the previous one. i like the old cobra better. the old cobra is pretty bad ass actually. especially if you lighten it up a bit. ive seen some sic one's around town.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttb' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:20 PM
no_really why don't you STFU and take a statistics course or lookup what sample size means. yea, i'm going to take your word that Ford quality and reliability is top notched when consumer reports, jd power, etc. all consistently rate them below Honda.

seriously, accept reality. i don't go around arguing that Honda makes great drag cars, so don't go around trying to say Fords are reliable.
please. Take your own advice. I got an A in college statistics. Did you?

I owned a Civic once. You'd have to be seriously ignorant to think that was a great car. Moaned like a $2 hooker over every RR crossing, flexed more than Lou Ferigno in an episode of the Hulk, and had no usable power below redline. Kinda fun car after spending a few grand on braces and power mods, but I finally dumped it for a real car. As far as problems went, it had a few electrical gremlins that were never resolved, and I sold it with only 75K on the clock. Don't tak to me about how "great" and "reliable" Hondas are - they are no better than anything else, and little worse than most, actually.

I've had many 100,000+ mile Chevys, Fords, and even a Chrysler, and didn't really have any issues with them other than routine maintenance. I'd rate the Chrysler as the make I am least likely to purchase again, of the Big Three, but Honda will never grace my driveway again, unless it is an S2000 or NSX, and that won't be any time soon. Ford and Chevy are welcome anytime. At least with them, you don't have to tolerate a weak engine, interior designed for a munchkin, and dense fanbois pretending they are better than everyone else.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ if honda is so bad wtf ru doing on this site? Go troll some where else.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by wwwracer' date='Feb 22 2005, 11:46 PM
i'm not so sure about that. most honda/acura's are very reliable. I believe very strongly that honda put this same reliability into the s2000. One of the main reasons that drew me to the s2k was the fact that it was a honda.

Ford's are notorious for problems. I went from a '91 civic DX(so reliable and kick myself in the ass to this day for givin it up) to a ford ranger edge 4x4 that ended up being a lemon. Toward the end of my lawsuit I realized i wanted an S. So after i settled i got one. Having that Ford was a terrible experience. geez it was in the shop so much. There were about 2 or 3 recalls performed.

I guess if i wasn't stupid enough for selling the civic i would have never got the lemon. Its sucks having issues with your new truck after 2 months. If i was smart back than i would have bought a Tacoma.

its all good cuz i have a honda now. I bought my S used with 21K on it. I have put 21K on it now. I have had it about a year now. I'll will just cross my fingers and hope my S last for 2000K miles. I'll beat Al Bundy's record of 1 million miles in his old nova. I think it was a nova.

we should tie this thread with the miata thread since they are both under the Ford umbrella. i have known mazda's to be less reliable than honda. i guess since mazda = ford = less reliable. mazda rx-7 = bad ass though. the new cobra looks heavier than the previous one. i like the old cobra better. the old cobra is pretty bad ass actually. especially if you lighten it up a bit. ive seen some sic one's around town.
Perhaps for you, you have found the cars you have owned from Honda/Acura to be highly reliable. A good friend of mine has an 03 Acura TL Type S, which is most definitely a nice car, but the car does make frequent trips to the dealership for work. In fact, a little while ago, we had to take his TL in to get an extra oil jet installed into the transmission AND get pictures taken of the tranny's internals for Honda (Honda issued a recall) because of a growing number of owners who were losing trannies.

I am not however saying that Honda's or Acuras are unreliable. All I do say though is that no car is bulletproof out there (I think even S2K owners that drive their cars hard can attest to this)... Just visit the forums of any car (even here on the S2Ki forums), and you will see owners complaining about various issues with their cars.. These are many issues that they keep quiet about when it comes time to report about reliability issues. This isn't unusual by any stretch of the imagination, since many owners are devoted to their cars, and 'put up' with a lot of issues since they love the cars so much (which is not a bad thing at all). Even Rolls Royces and Ferrari's aren't perfect from the factory either.

Thing you need to look at too is perceptions... Japanese cars are thought to be bullet-proof (something that is not completely true). American vehicles are thought to be POS's... (something that is not completely true).

We have a 96 Dodge Caravan minivan, which to be really honest has been nothing but reliable. All we do it put gas in the thing, and take it for service when we are supposed to, and the thing has kept going with well over 100K miles on it. We also have a 97 Dodge Avenger, which again, has been nothing but reliable for us. Again..put gas in it, take it for service when needed, and it has kept running as well too with no problems at all... We don't have it anymore, since it was written off in an accident late last year. Right now, I drive a Japanese car (Impreza), and while it has been reliable as well, it hasn't been bulletproof as some think Japanese cars are. Even though I love the car to hell, I will say that it isn't perfect.

Now, even with this said, I am not going to stand on a box cheering that Chrysler sells dead reliable vehicles, since a sample number of 1 (n=1) is nowhere near enough to make an accurate judgement on it all.

I can say though, that I have noticed the interior fit and finish of Japanese to be of a higher standard than that of many domestic cars, just as how the fit and finish of VW/Audi cars is higher than that of the Japanese manufacturers. I don't know if this fit and finish is what you equate to reliability, but i think it does forster an aire or reliability and solid construction.

But Back to the S2000 though, I would expect that it would have high reliability figures for a few reasons:
1) The car is put together at the same factory in Japan where the NSX comes together. Lots of attention to detail to make sure everything is right.
2) The car is not a high-volume car, so again, more attention to detail, but makes it statistically more difficult to compare reliability to a high-volume car like all Fords (but the GT).
3)S2K's are fair-weather cars and are out of their element in adverse weather conditions (just as most other cars in it's category are), and tend to sit out the most punishing time of the year on cars in general(winter).

sorry for the long rant
Old 02-23-2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by topcat7111' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:11 AM
^ if honda is so bad wtf ru doing on this site? Go troll some where else.
Let us try to keep the discussion constructive on this. I think we have a nice little debate going here.. would be a shame to have it all go downhill.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 AM

Back to Mustangs
I snapped a couple of shots of the Saleen Mustang at the Toronto Auto Show. That not very cerimoniously just lined up in a narrow space (read hard to shoot with thousands of people around):

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang Cobra